TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I think I’ve been on the only 16 day trip that went to Clipperton on the RP. This trip had an epic crew. Steve Loomis captain, Jack Webster second, Rollo Heyn crew member, and Brian Kiyohara as a pinhead. This was in 1988.

How much fishing time did you get? Couldn’t have been more than 3 days?

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
How much fishing time did you get? Couldn’t have been more than 3 days?
That sounds about right. It wasn’t originally planned to go to Clip. We were at San Benedicto and fishing was slow. We had medical personnel on board so Steve asked Frank if we could go to Clip. He approved and we were on our way.

Reactions: TOTW
Upvote 0

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
The Royal Polaris. 15/22 day
fly down to PV and ride back from Cabo option. I flew down and flew back because of work. Or I would had rode all 22 days

Under the authority of France. Off of Central America

Extremely fertile water. Everything is competing to eat each other or not be eaten. Non stop. We had tough fishing for Tuna so we finished the trip at Hurricane Bank for great big fish fishing

My personal best Giant YFT came out of Puerta Vallarta on a cruiser 2 years before. For $400 :D
That trip sounds familiar. Was it a Jerry Brown sponsored trip? Spent 36 hours at the Atoll for a few YFT and 30 or so wahoo then traveled 3 days back to Hurricane Bank for decent YFT fishing. Both of my Clipperton trips were a bust but I can say I've been there.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I did a fly down/fly back trip to Egypt to fish Nile Perch, and a fly down/fly back trip to Mongolia to fish hucho taimen. Both were great trips but I really missed the Red Rooster food. On the other hand, there were camels in both places...
I've never had camel.... was it tasty?

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Never been to Clipperton but it's on the list. A few years ago the RP was planning on going but heard they could NOT get permits [France]. I also heard the last time the Royal Star was there a French Coast Guarder cutter met them and said they could not go on the Atoll. FYI a few years back the Royal Star did go to Panama and you could fly down and back.

Here are some videos I found. There are more on the net if you search.

Classic Clipperton video with a young Tim Ekstrom and Brian Simms. Those bats they used were real baseball bats that Brian used when he played ball.

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    "I've never had camel.... was it tasty?"

Actually, I did not eat any. The camels I saw were working animals plus a few free range animals in Mongolia. The food in Mongolia, btw, was **horrible.** Egyptian food was OK but not really my favorite. We kept a couple Nile perch, which are very good on the table. I'm told hucho taimen is excellent table fare but we fished them strictly catch and release.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    "I've never had camel.... was it tasty?"

Actually, I did not eat any. The camels I saw were working animals plus a few free range animals in Mongolia. The food in Mongolia, btw, was **horrible.** Egyptian food was OK but not really my favorite. We kept a couple Nile perch, which are very good on the table. I'm told hucho taimen is excellent table fare but we fished them strictly catch and release.

Did you fly fish for Taimen? It’s on my todo list before I die

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I did fly fish but the places we fished would have required much longer casts than I was capable of; a spey fisherman might have been able to do it. I used pretty much the same tackle I used for fishing king salmon in rivers up here and caught fish on wobblers. For some reason, I had no strikes on spoons or spinners which are supposed to work. I also used a lure made by my Mongolian guide: a black rabbit fur "lemming" that I'd cast and skitter across the surface at dusk. The strikes were incredible.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
    Aug 23, 2004
    Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    panama, on a super seiner gina anne, my first trip/job, i brought my fishing poles , and the captain tossed em on the bay as we left port, lol. we made a full load. got the shit kicked out of usall the way home, and i quit when we hit u/s/ soil.

Upvote 0

cutcamp

Nueve Dedos
    Aug 10, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    Eric Dahlkamp
    Boat
    215 Triumph "Nail Em Again"
    Fished Clipperton in 03 with my brother and dad on a bucket list trip on the Royal Star. Met the boat in Manzanillo on their way up from Panama. The boat was late because they got stopped on the way up by some country's (I don't remember which) coast guard equivalent and taken in to port. Story was they thought the bags of brine salt were drugs. The boat brought up Anchoveta as bait which was pretty cool to use. We tried to make bait on the coast on the way south but couldnt find any. Amazing amount of sea life around the island, but fishing was only ok. When it was time to get on the island, we were dropped off just outside the surf line and swam ashore. Got absolutely rolled in the surf. Saw a lot of WW2 era equipment on the island. The porpoise would continualy steal our baits by sucking them right off the hook. Word is it got worse in later years. Attached is a pic of the 3 of us on the island. Its a pic of a pic so I apologize for the poor quality.
    Eric
    20210113_163209.jpg

Upvote 0

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
  • Apr 8, 2006
    Blue Marble
    Name
    Grinner
    Boat
    A Big One - That Floats
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the heat yet! >:(
    Oh yea, almost forgot about that heat down there. If you've ever spent any time in SE Asia, you can relate to how it compares with Clipperton's climate. On one trip, we lost the A/C in the middle of the night... that was absolutely brutal. Had another trip with very comfortable weather, with round the clock temps of no more than the mid 80s... with daily afternoon showers. Certainly unexpected for that zone, but appreciated by everyone. Then there was the trip with constant winds that pushed up salt spray each night covering rods, reels and anything else on deck with a lite dusting of coarse salt that looked just like snow. Fresh water gear wash down was required each morning before casting a single bait.., sucked needing to do that daily. Most memorable sidebar to a trip.., the Attack of the Tiny Red Crabs. We first noticed them in the hand-wells. Before anyone figured it out, they were everywhere throughout the boats entire plumbing after being sucked up into the in-takes. Clipperton, legendary indeed!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tyler Doan

• Nov 9, 2016
    Anaheim
    Name
    Tyler
    Boat
    Parker 2520 MV
    Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to take a trip there. But was there shallow spots for any rock fishing at clipperton or was a it more of a drop off into the deep?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    The shogun did do some fly fishing Clipperton trips and landed some records

A RP captain in the skiff. Hooked a 500lb black marlin on a surface iron in a reef key hole in shallow water at Clipperton. Trying for Jack's and Grouper, ect

The Royal Star fished the Panama islands with Anchoveta. Here is their first trip

RS. Clip report

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    That trip sounds familiar. Was it a Jerry Brown sponsored trip? Spent 36 hours at the Atoll for a few YFT and 30 or so wahoo then traveled 3 days back to Hurricane Bank for decent YFT fishing. Both of my Clipperton trips were a bust but I can say I've been there.

From your pic I don't think we fished the same trip.

2005 wahoodad charter 2.5 days at the Atoll. For 1 Cow taken on a chunk at the Grove. Choate caught a 100 plus pounder on a marauder. A few big fish on the kite. I caught a 70lber and 90lber on Caballito and small night time tuna. JB and Burnside were on and Kreutel. It was 2005. The Big X was having 45+ big fish days at Hurricane so we ran up and had good fishing. Straight 140-Cow. We had 12 Cows. Got a kite 209

Here is the report from 2005. Was 26 years old and very enthusiastic :D was spending over half my income on fishing

Last edited:
    Upvote 0