Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    First to say I ride the Red Rooster and with the new rod holders on the top deck there really is a place for all rods you can bring on a trip. (Thanks Boss...) Just as an exercise of thinking I made up this rod holder that clamps to the rail on the top deck. My goal was to minimize rail space, make a attractive, strong but cheap rod holder.

image.jpg

The Red Rooster top deck rail is 5 3/8 by 1 3/4 so I use 5 1/2 for my space between the tubes...
    image.jpg

I used 1 1/2 inch schedule 40, perfect fit for the reel seat nuts. No slop...
    image.jpg

The tubes are held down by 3/8 inch by 4 inch bolts and assorted gear...
    image.jpg

And for the bottom piece I used t-nuts...
    image.jpg

The bottom tube has 1 inch end caps I had to trim down to fit, and the caps have a small piece of schedule 200 that fit the gimbal perfectly, no slop... The locking pins are 2 inch by 1/4 inch.
    image.jpg

Oh ya, the upper wood has a bushing made of a 1/4 inch pipe connector for the bolt to run on...
    image.jpg

Kinda like playing Tetris, everything seemed to fit.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I don't see any hardware to hold it on the rail. Am I missing something?

I sandwich the rail with the top and bottom wood. I have scrap wood in there on the picture for the bolts to clamp on. On the top wood I have rubber that grips the wood without marring the rail. Another plus is it breaks down flat and takes less than 12 inches of rail.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I sandwich the rail with the top and bottom wood. I have scrap wood in there on the picture for the bolts to clamp on. On the top wood I have rubber that grips the wood without marring the rail. Another plus is it breaks down flat and takes less than 12 inches of rail.

OK, I think I see. In order to mount it, does one of the boards need to come off the tubes? Then you slide the "loose" board over the tubes and onto the bolts?

Sorry if the question seems stupid.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Without the hose clamps the tubes slide through the holes. Another too perfect fit is a 1 7/8 hole saw. Had to sand the holes to get some slop so the tubes can slide.

Upvote 0

garety

wishin i was fishin
    Feb 23, 2012
    Red Bluff
    Name
    garet
    Boat
    t15
    This gives me visions of "that guy" bumping this at cocktail hour and dumping all those nice rods over the side.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Without the hose clamps the tubes slide through the holes. Another too perfect fit is a 1 7/8 hole saw. Had to sand the holes to get some slop so the tubes can slide.

OK, got it. I guessed right in fact. Since I am not THIS kind of handy, I thought it would be a lot of work first putting those collars on and bolting the boards together, then having to tighten each collar too.

But never having tried it myself, I can't really say how hard or easy the process may be.

Looks interesting!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Actually Jim like most projects you start with an idea and try a few things, then the light bulb comes on. Now with a plan it is really easy. Really helps to have all the power tools that can do precision cuts and drill holes. If I was to crank them out I would use a router and a pattern.

Reactions: Rodless_Jim
    Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
    Feb 16, 2012
    Culver City, CA
    Name
    Connor
    Boat
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Nice work! I've seen the fabricated metal ones in person a few times and this looks like it will do the same job.

-Connor

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    That's really cool Bill. I like the concept and design. I'm wondering if your pipe straps and connectors on the top piece might work loose with all the wave motion on a longer trip.

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Looks interesting Bill. We'll have to take more pictures as you set it up and then see what Andy thinks. I'll see you in a few.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    That's really cool Bill. I like the concept and design. I'm wondering if your pipe straps and connectors on the top piece might work loose with all the wave motion on a longer trip.

The clamps actually bent the angle for me. There are a lot of SS hose clamps on the boat that stay put already. The worm gear on a clamp puts a lot of pressure. The rod would have to pass through an inch and a half of plywood. (14 ply) Every component backs up another.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    OK, I think I see. In order to mount it, does one of the boards need to come off the tubes? Then you slide the "loose" board over the tubes and onto the bolts?

Sorry if the question seems stupid.

I install the two boards first on the rail, then slide the tubes in. On the picture you can see a faint line in the PVC. I use that to line up the tubes.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    So you made two of these?... many on here would find it hard to fish a 15-17 day trip with just 6 outfits?... especially if you have a designated bait catching outfit and the usual Hoo outfits as well.

I use two milk crates that I converted (basically the same idea each with 6 PVC tubes attached to them via stainless hardware... my only concern with the rail type rack is securing it to the rail (those 6 big game reels are actually pretty heavy and the longer heavy duty rail rods can make it top heavy tending to apply a lot of swinging around pressure in snotty seas. I cut long triangular pieces of pliable foam and wedge them into the PVC tubes to keep the rod butts in place while underway.

My milk crate racks are weighted with slate tile in the center and I have a small waterproof plastic box in the center that gets filled with the large lead sinkers so it's heavy on the bottom to help offset the top heavy 6 outfits, I also added a rubber tire tread material to the bottom of the crate and then I secure them to the rail with a wrap around piece of parachute chord (the milk crates don't move even while underway in heavy seas).

I have found that your expensive LR gear is MUCH better protected from people and the elements when its stored up top and is less likely to be used "accidently" or seriously bumped into or knocked out of its rack being above the fighting deck.

G

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    On the Rooster there is a new rack of rod holders on the top deck. Plenty of room for the rest of my gear with three spots on the side of the boat. I am using the rod holders for just 6 rods cause that is all I need and designed it for.

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    It'd be nice to see a picture of it in action on the boat after you use it, along with any thoughts about possible needed alterations. I really like this. Nice job.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    On the Rooster there is a new rack of rod holders on the top deck. Plenty of room for the rest of my gear with three spots on the side of the boat. I am using the rod holders for just 6 rods cause that is all I need and designed it for.

Nice to know they have a new rack of rod holders up top... I've got a 5-day on the Rooster in July and was planning on taking 1 or maybe 2 of my milk crate holders (depending on number of outfits needed and the targeted species).

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined
    Hey Bill sorry I missed you. It didn't take too long to load up the few fish I caught LOL I would have stuck around if I'd have known.

At the airport now about to fly back home, Will be back on the grid this evening probably.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster

I may put a second set of SS hose clamps on, only 88 cents a piece. I cut a piece of 3/4 ply as a spacer to the bottom wood. Fitted the rod holder at the boat yesterday. Works great..

Upvote 0