longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Fished the bay this morning for a few very productive hours. Launched at 6 and picked up a great half scoop of horse dean's. Fishing was slow to start but once the tide switched it was non-stop action. The halibut bite was very good with a couple sculpin mixed in.

Finished the day at 1230 with about a dozen short butts and 3 legals with one standout. Fish bit the big bait very well on 20lb line on the edge of the channel. Go get some, good luck!
    20191130_064143.jpg
    20191130_163040.jpg
    20191130_163134.jpg

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Fished the bay this morning for a few very productive hours. Launched at 6 and picked up a great half scoop of horse dean's. Fishing was slow to start but once the tide switched it was non-stop action. The halibut bite was very good with a couple sculpin mixed in.

Finished the day at 1230 with about a dozen short butts and 3 legals with one standout. Fish bit the big bait very well on 20lb line on the edge of the channel. Go get some, good luck!View attachment 1094214 View attachment 1094215 View attachment 1094216

Absolutely SICK!

Right place, right time, right bait, right size bait, right size Halibut (smaller legal Halibut best for Sashimi IMO), right tide, right amount of Halibut (shorts mixed in tells me an event just took place or is about to take place, and I'd not stop fishing them until I'd tagged most and/or the Halibut stop biting).

You broke the code today, you now have the KEY, and I'd be right back on it tomorrow Cody, go get 5 legals they're there! John.

Added
    Can't stop thinking about your brief yet very detailed report Cody. If you've never caught a limit of Halibut before . . . I'm tellin'ya get back on it tomorrow . . 2 of your 3 legals are spawned out with the biggest not so lucky although I know a few people who love Halibut eggs with their scrambled eggs ANNNNND IMO there's not many days left due to the 2 spawned-out Halibut, and if have caught a limit before then you need not listen to me CUZ . . . . . . YOU already know how to turn THE KEY.

I'm Jealous! :devil:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    Reactions: Hardcor
    Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    Absolutely SICK!

Right place, right time, right bait, right size bait, right size Halibut (smaller legal Halibut best for Sashimi IMO), right tide, right amount of Halibut (shorts mixed in tells me an event just took place or is about to take place, and I'd not stop fishing them until I'd tagged most and/or the Halibut stop biting).

You broke the code today, you now have the KEY, and I'd be right back on it tomorrow Cody, go get 5 legals they're there! John.

Added
    Can't stop thinking about your brief yet very detailed report Cody. If you've never caught a limit of Halibut before . . . I'm tellin'ya get back on it tomorrow . . 2 of your 3 legals are spawned out with the biggest not so lucky although I know a few people who love Halibut eggs with their scrambled eggs ANNNNND IMO there's not many days left due to the 2 spawned-out Halibut, and if have caught a limit before then you need not listen to me CUZ . . . . . . YOU already know how to turn THE KEY.

I'm Jealous! :devil:
    Thanks John you are very observant! Yes I have gotten a few limits of halibut in the past, that's all I use to fish for mainly. All of my legals came within a 100yd square and I'm sure I could of got 2 more if I had the time to stay today.

Reactions: FloMar
    Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Nice work Cody. Do you clean same day or ice down? I've been letting mine rest for 24 hrs. Lots of slime continues to come out of the meat. Eaiser to cut beautiful white filets and I think it tastes better, wondering what others do.

Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    Nice work Cody. Do you clean same day or ice down? I've been letting mine rest for 24 hrs. Lots of slime continues to come out of the meat. Eaiser to cut beautiful white filets and I think it tastes better, wondering what others do.
    Thanks Steve yes I usually always ice them at least overnight before I clean them, I agree easier to clean and better looking meat!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

Yep, always iced-down overnight, agree with everything you say Steve/Cody. I also slit the the throat so the fish can bleed out before icing, and what I've found is IF, and I say IF, there's any worms in the meat they ALWAYS follow the blood so they end up in the stomach, works like a charm every time, and it has been years since I've seen any worms. John.

ADDED

Red line marks where I slit the throat, pull gill plate back and run fillet knife lateral along the red-line puncturing opaque membrane. I then drop them in one side of my PE split 80-gallon bait tank to bleed-out on the ride back back in. Once they hit the ice THAT flat white meat firms-up quickly.
    Slitting the throat Halibut 20191201.jpg

Forgot, one more thing, ice in ice-chest first, then gunny sack, lay Halibut on gunny sack, either fold gunny sack over if small Halibut and more ice on top orrrrr a second gunny sack on top if big Halibut and more ice on top. This gets rid of all slime in the neighborhood and the fish is 100% easier to fillet, no gloves needed.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    Yep, always iced-down overnight, agree with everything you say Steve/Cody. I also slit the the throat so the fish can bleed out before icing, and what I've found is IF, and I say IF, there's any worms in the meat they ALWAYS follow the blood so they end up in the stomach, works like a charm every time, and it has been years since I've seen any worms. John.

ADDED

Red line marks where I slit the throat, pull gill plate back and run fillet knife lateral along the red-line puncturing opaque membrane. I then drop them in one side of my PE split 80-gallon bait tank to bleed-out on the ride back back in. Once they hit the ice THAT flat white meat firms-up quickly.
    View attachment 1094395

Forgot, one more thing, ice in ice-chest first, then gunny sack, lay Halibut on gunny sack, either fold gunny sack over if small Halibut and more ice on top orrrrr a second gunny sack on top if big Halibut and more ice on top. This gets rid of all slime in the neighborhood and the fish is 100% easier to fillet, no gloves needed.
    Solid advice thanks John!

Upvote 0

max

Jul 22, 2005
    la
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    23 maycraft max

ADDED

View attachment 1094395

When it comes to halibut listen to John he knows his stuff !

Upvote 0