Yani
Advertiser
Jun 29, 2005
Dana Point
Name
yani hasir
Boat
corbra kayak
I forgot how much fun rock fishing out of a yak can be. Especially when we're fishing in less than 150ft.

We fished off the kelp beds in La Jolla last Tuesday. There were four of us. I was the only one with a fish finder and since it was new, I didn't have any way points. We kept on the 140-150ft contour and fished where ever I found transitions from sand to rock, bait on the bottom, and/or small rock fish marks on the bottom. I found myself glued to the fish
finder most the day.

We caught smaller rock fish closer to shore, and finally found bigger units in a honey hole packed with tree fish, vermillions, white fish, sand dabs,
and chili peppers. We were about 3-3.5 miles from the La Jolla shores kayak launch.

I like to use a 3-way swivel with a 16oz weight and a very short leader tied (2"-3") to a 5/0-6/0 needle point sharp circle hook. I prefer using "for human consumption" fresh frozen squid found at Ranch 99, whole. My bigger hooks help keep me from bringing up smaller rock fish.

We all scored after fishing our hole for 2 hours. I pulled up my personal best vermillion at 22". It's going on the BBQ, whole.
BD-1.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 4.47.39 PM.png

Nick
Nick
Yanni, did you do a video of cooking the Reds whole on the grill?
Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat
21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
Heck yah Yani way to go!
Because of you i tried this the other day for the first time and wow just insanly good!
I love your program and spread the word to everyone i know that loves seafood.
My wifes always been hesitant to try a whole fish because of the eyes etc but not anymore
IMG_7553.JPG
IMG_7554.JPG

yani

Yani
Advertiser
Jun 29, 2005
Dana Point
Name
yani hasir
Boat
corbra kayak
Heck yah Yani way to go!
Because of you i tried this the other day for the first time and wow just insanly good!
I love your program and spread the word to everyone i know that loves seafood.
My wifes always been hesitant to try a whole fish because of the eyes etc but not anymore
View attachment 1269043View attachment 1269044
Tom, that looks freaking delicious!