F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Decided to hop on the the mission belle chasing bluefin.
    Ok so, after a 3 hour ride to the 9 mile bank and started searching we found the first school within the first 10 mins or so and only one person was able to hookup on this stop. After he landed his fish we continued searching and ended up not finding any for a while, about another hour to 2 hours. Finally we find a better school with some nice grade fish. Dad got his first fish of the day, 50-60lbs on a komodo 463p with 30lb test in 30mins. I hooked up right after also on 30lb but lost it due to the hook snapping in half. Moved spots, hooked up again and lost this one due to a fray in my leader and ended up losing around 5 ft of line. Hooked up again on this stop and one of the rental guys got tangled up with me leading to another guy with a fish wrapping on mine and ended up losing it. Another stop hooked up again and this time everything was looking good, 5 mins into the fight the hook pops off! It was a j hook so i suspect it was a bad hook set. Looked around for awhile and managed a couple smaller schools not willing to bite much. Ended up getting the last fish of the day on the last stop, another 50-60lb fish on 30lb test with a fathom 30ld2. Lots of opportunity's for fish.

Overall it was a great trip and great crew. Finished the day with 29 fish.
    1626548274121.png
    1626548249817.png

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    3 he ride to the north 9???
    I was thinking the same thing. What were they driving a whole 3 knots?

Also, you should really be fishing circle hooks for bluefin. As you experienced, they will chew you off if they’re gut hooked.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    3 he ride to the north 9???
    I remember leaving the dock at 6-6:10 and getting there around 9. There was a bunch of large swells so im pretty sure they where not full speed.
    Also, you should really be fishing circle hooks for bluefin. As you experienced, they will chew you off if they’re gut hooked.
    Yeah I learned that. They didn't like the big hooks and i only had one pack of 1/0 Blacktail ringed circles. After I broke off my first fish due to the hook snapping in half didn't wanna use them again, the closest thing i had was those ringed j hooks. Wont make that mistake again...

Reactions: PennDaiwaShimano

ljg619

Jun 30, 2020
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Leonard Gibson
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    I remember leaving the dock at 6-6:10 and getting there around 9. There was a bunch of large swells so im pretty sure they where not full speed.

Yeah I learned that. They didn't like the big hooks and i only had one pack of 1/0 Blacktail ringed circles. After I broke off my first fish due to the hook snapping in half didn't wanna use them again, the closest thing i had was those ringed j hooks. Wont make that mistake again...
    Does time factor for loading up at bait barge?

Upvote 0