flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
I usually try to avoid fishing over Labor Day weekend, but with the fishing so off the charts this year it has been sort of hard not to want to get out on the water every chance I get. Still, wanting to avoid the crowds, I studied the SST chart on Friday night and picked an area somewhere between the 14, 267, 277 and 209 that I thought wouldn’t get too much traffic.

Saturday morning at 0-dark-thirty my buddy Stephen met me at my slip and we were the first boat of the day to pull up at San Pedro Bait. Mike loaded us up with two beautiful scoops of nice big anchovies and we were off. Thankfully the ocean conditions had improved considerably from the reports the day before and we were able to run comfortably at 24 knots, arriving into the zone I wanted to start fishing in at grey light.

We start to scan for any sign of tuna when I notice about 40 shearwaters sitting on the water waiting for something to happen….interesting. I slow the boat down and we start a drift. Sure enough, we are both hooked-up instantly. Stephen gaffs his fish, and then goes up to the bow and sticks mine with a perfect head shot. Sweet.

We repeat this process a few more times and by 7:30 a.m. we already have all the meat we need.

The best part? We were completely alone!

We start heading back toward San Pedro when we come across a big hammer head shark cruising slowly on the surface. With all the reports that these guys have been holding tuna this year, we stop the boat and fish the shark as if it was a kelp paddy. Instant hook-ups. We pull 9 more yellowfin off this shark before he sinks out for good and we lose the school.

Me with my first shark-caught tuna.

Stephen with a hammer-head groupie.

Notice all the other boats around? It was awesome!!!!!

We get back on our course for home when we see some gigantic boils under a few terns and this is where things really got crazy. All the fish in this school were 30+ pounds, with a few fish well over 40, and they were biting full speed. Stephen stuck with his Trinidad 12, Teramar rod, and 20 pound fluro while I fished a little heavier gear with a Talica 8, Terez 70H, and 30 pound fluro. Honestly I think these fish would have bit 40 pound just fine.

Me with the day’s jackpot, we were thinking 40+.

Stephen with another huge local fish.

More average grade.

By that point I had caught enough tuna for the day, so I picked up the camera and took some shots of Stephen (who was just fine with shamelessly continuing to hammer away at these fish).

Stephen on another nice one.

Leader shot just before a clean release.

We called it a day at 10:30 a.m. having caught 27 yellowfin tuna, keeping 12 fish, and releasing the rest.

This was easily the best day of local tuna fishing I have ever had. Heck, these fish were better grade than what we got on my last 7 day trip on the Excel. Had we stayed out all day in that area I think we could have easily caught 60 fish between the two of us.

But again, the best part was that we had these fish all to ourselves……fishing off the local banks…..on Labor Day weekend. Such a great day, and what an incredible year this has been.

Jonathan

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Damn bro ! Your fish look so clean on the deck . Are you guys netting ? No Gaff marks or blood anywhere . Wait a minute ? Great idea ! If i net them no clean up . Thanks for the great idea !

Upvote 0

Red Drum

Paradiddle-diddle
Mar 15, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Name
Capt. Vinnie
Boat
Big Drum-2300 Seaswirl Striper...Red Drum-1500 Duroboat
Awesome trip Jonathan...wtg!!!

Upvote 0

rodngun762

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
Nice!!! Great to see the good grade of fish, I'm still waiting to get into something bigger than 25lbs, keeps it interesting to hear they are out there.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Damn bro ! Your fish look so clean on the deck . Are you guys netting ? No Gaff marks or blood anywhere . Wait a minute ? Great idea ! If i net them no clean up . Thanks for the great idea !

We gaffed the fish we kept, usually in the head. Then rip out the gills and head first in a bucket of saltwater to bleed out.

Reactions: Nautical
Upvote 0

red_eyez

Broke but love to fish..
Aug 5, 2008
OC
Name
kevin
Boat
The one I paid at Landing
Awesome report and love those pics, WTG and thx for sharing.

Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Shearwaters sitting on the water....thanks for that tip.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Nice trip and way to go!

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
A great memory filled holiday run for sure! Nice pics! No other boats around but too bad you had to deal with all that miserable weather and huge windswell waves...Haha! Sweet hit!:cheers:

Upvote 0