Full size van for towing?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by The Peddler, Aug 2, 2016.

1. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    With a growing family (me, wife, a toddler, another on the way, and two 65-70lb dogs) the crew cab 2500HD seems to be shrinking. Wife doesn't like the idea of the dogs in the bed/canopy for their safety and due to weather extremes. We do travel as a family often-enough, and we like to do activities that require more cargo and/or towing capacity than the typical "Soccer Mom" vehicle.

I came-across this today; http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5697673268.html

Does anyone tow a 9,000-lb load with a full size van? Supposedly the tow capacity is 10,000-lb. I might be too close to have a nice "safety margin?" Having a diesel is appealing vs the anemic V8's normally in these rigs. Despite the DuraMax engine, it doesn't have the Allison trans, and that may be the weak point in this one? It is 4x4 though, via aftermarket conversion.

I'd love a DuraBurb, (Google it, they're the Shiznitty) but they're too rare and rich for my blood.

Thoughts on the van idea? Since I'm used to running my truck with a canopy on the bed, the enclosed cargo area doesn't deter me. I have a utility trailer I use for tall stuff already.

2. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    So, family and dogs are all up front in the truck, so what is under the canopy? Is it still full? Dogs and fishing gear don't mix. LOL

3. Bill Ryan

Bill Ryan Newbie

Name:
    Bill Ryan
    Boat:
    Willie Drifter
    I would have a tough time buying a Duramax without a Allision on the back side.

4. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    My dad towed a 30' 2002 Weekend Warrior toy hauler loaded with 5 dirt bikes for a good 5 years with a Ford E350 gas van. I note the year because this was before the original owner sold the company and he was still building the trailers with heavy duty, quality materials. Took it empty all the way to Yellowstone for 2 weeks as well. That van you posted won't even feel a 9k load

5. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Dogs in the elements in the back of a truck with a canopy? What kind of POS ankle biters do you have? Better tell all those farm dogs they can't ride in the back of the truck anymore... But hide your boots when you do ;)

But seriously, dogs should be in crates, just big enough to turn around and lay down in (not even stand comfortably). That's the safest for them.

Rellis, Titan and The Peddler like this.
  6. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    Quigley is the best at converting vans to 4x4, been around forever, real engineering (not backyard mechanics) and very spendy new. Website shows the conversion at $12k.

They were sought after in Colorado

7. ☆THRASHER☆

☆THRASHER☆ Thrashing Some Rods.

Name:
    Jason Champion
    Boat:
    GW 272 sailfish
    Quigley conversions are great. The other draw back with the Duramax van is that it is highly detuned because they couldn't fit the Allison Transmission in it. I owned a Duramax van for a while it was a great rig. On the bright side that transmission is way cheaper than the Allison and comes with a hundred thousand mile warranty. I originally thought I'd pull my boat with the van and convert it to 4 x 4 but decided it would never pull like my Cummins. My boat and trailer weigh 13k.

8. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  9. J.C.

J.C. Run what ya Brung

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    18' aluminum
    I've owned a couple vans. I still am having sellers remorse from my last one. It was the best tow rig I ever had but I had one too many camping apparatuses and was offered more than I payed for it after putting about 100,000 miles on it. It was a lifted (4 inch and 31s) g20 350/r700 4x4 with 373 in the rear. My boats not that heavy but it would pull my enclosed toy hauler at about 6000 and you barely new it was there. One nice thing about them is the side entry while your hooked up as opposed to fighting your trailer to get in and out of the camper. Especially if you plan on crashing in it .rear bench was a tri fold that dumped into a queen size bed.my dogs absolutely loved the van as opposed to the truck camper.

For that kind of coin I would seriously look into a sports mobile with a pop top camper and maybe even an older one with the 7.3. They sleep four pretty easy even if your just crashing the night before launching.They are kind of the holy grail of sports mobiles and prolly in your price range.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    The Peddler likes this.
  10. Walker Inc.

Walker Inc. I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    That's bad ass. I would rock it. When the transmission grenades just have one built hell for stout.

Stair Guy likes this.
  11. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    buddy had a duramax van and had towing issues with the bruce jenner getting too hot.

12. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

J.C. and The Peddler like this.
  13. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    Bruce Jenner/tranny - I see what you did there.

hbouldin1216 likes this.
  14. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    That's what coolers are for. Keeps the Juice cool for your Jenner

J.C. likes this.
  15. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

16. kingfisher1

kingfisher1 Member

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    n/a
  17. The Peddler

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Thanks guys! This seems a very viable option for me. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger, but I'm probably going to go test drive the Quigley at least.

18. Chtucker

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Tell me about your pickup...

Ugly Bayliner likes this.
  19. The Peddler

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I love it, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up to be honest. It's a 2015 2500HD Crew/LTZ, "Standard" bed (6'6"), DuraMax. Loaded with virtually everything, except rear DVD or rear sliding window. Almost 45,000 miles.

This is my 4th DuraMax truck. They're PHENOMENAL trucks! 20MPG on highway road trips, 11-12 towing the boat. Usually about 15MPG mixed city/hwy driving. I can drive from Olympia to Reno or Sacramento without stopping for fuel.

I'd value the truck at about $45k, I think. (It is NOT for sale at this time.)

My biggest concern about the van is the long-drive comfort vs the truck. I don't drive as much as some, but more than the average guy. I need to be able to put-in 10-12 hours behind the wheel comfortably.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  20. Chtucker

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    You really need to drive the van then.. I have driven some REALLY BAD 4x4 conversions. I trust Quigley, but the one I have in mind (not a Quigley) made the ride unbearable and the vehicle was sold at a big loss after the conversion. The suspension was way over sprung.

Honestly, no matter how cool the van is, they have not been updated as well as the pickups. The interiors are not as nice, the fit and finish to me isn't comparable. If you want the room, it is a great idea. I don't think you would be happy with the van as primary driver.

I see 100s of vehicles through our shop, and for towing, I don't think you could beat a crew cab pickup. If the Mercedes Sprinter had a higher tow rating, it might be an option, they are now available from the factory with 4wd.