BajaBass

Bummininbaja
Feb 8, 2007
La Paz, BCS
Name
Jon Lundberg
Boat
16ft,Ensenada Boat Works, Mi Sancha/'02 17' Triumph CC
Dropped the boat in at Muertos at 8am on Sunday. That is early if the wife goes!! A little wind chop early, headed to Las Arenas for bait, no go on sardinas, too windy. All he has is caballitos at 20 pesos each, I take 8 and leave wishing for sardinas to chum with, Oh Well, let's motor to the south end of Cerralvo.

Out goes a pink hootchie and a green and black feather trolling to the high spot. As I hit the drop off into the deep section of the channel, the rod with the pink hootchie goes off! It takes a little line and I pump in a nice little 6 or 8 lb dorado.

A dozen pangas are bunched up on the high spot just off the south end of the island, chumming and drifting. I make a pass trolling around the area twice, no takers. I drop in to the drift, out goes a cab, and I start chucking iron. No boats are hooked up after three drifts.

OK, time to troll again. This time I try a couple plugs, a Yozuri baby dorado, and a silver and black X Rap, the big 8"ers. Head out towards the shark bouys, and the Yozuri goes off. I put the rod belt on the wife and she goes to work. A couple minues later, a nice little yellowfin comes to color. Along side the boat, and the thing takes off again, almost yanking the rod out of the wife's hands.

She hands it off to me, and I get it back along side the boat pretty quickly, get the gaff shot. Rod in one hand, gaff in the other, I pull about a 15 lb'er up on the rail, the fish goes nuts!!! Yanks the gaff out of my hand, line snaps, slides into the water, adi-freakin-os, gaff, fish and Yozuri!!!:shithappens::shithappens::shithappens:
What a rookie mistake!! First yellow fin ever, and I blow chunks.
After more than a little crap from the wife, off we go, trolling another Yozuri and the X Rap. I hit about 6 of the bouys, trolling around, then tossing cabs and iron, but nothing.

OK, time to head back, the wind is picking up. Out go the hootchie and feather again. Just off the south end of the island, ZZZZZZ, the rod with the feather goes off, before I slow the boat down and grab the rod, 50 yards are gone at least. After a good 10 minute fight, several decent runs, a nice bull slides up to the boat. Shit, no gaff!!!

OK, on goes a pair of Fox MX gloves. Get a good tail grab, hand the wife the rod, and get the other had in the gills. Yes, this one hit the deck!! Yielded four one gallon Zip-Locs, packed with dorado fillets!!! Oh, cheap camera, the dates are wrong.

Adios from La Paz!!!!

Attachments

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!
Nice Dodo. Get a nice little bat or club and give 'em a good whack before bringing them over the rail. Safer for you and the wife and the fish won't slip away.

ReelGem

Feb 15, 2004
Encinitas
Visit site
Name
Dave
Boat
38, Hatt, El Guapo. 26 Striper ReelGem
Nice dodo! Next time get a little spray bottle put some cheap tequila in it with water squirt the fish in the mouth or gills it will just lay there with no fuss calm as a kitten! Beer works as well!

H BuenaVista BR

Fisherman
Apr 10, 2010
Buenavista
Name
Felipe Valdez
Boat
Buenavista BR Fleet
what wind? I don´t see any wind picking up behind you? lol! nice dodo! don´t worry about those mistakes, you´ll get better, just keep practicing.

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Good job buddy glad you had a good time with the wife!!!

BornFisher

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 17, 2003
Encinitas (Olivenhain)
Visit site
Name
Bill Fisher
Boat
18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
Damn Jon-- grabbing a do-do by the tail and gills? Must have been some wrestling match!! WTG on the fish, maybe Derek could get you a replacement gaff!!!

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
What # test are you trolling with?

I always bring 2 gaffs on the boat. :D

Josh D

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 17, 2007
Sunland
Name
Josh
Boat
18' Century
Nice dodo! Next time get a little spray bottle put some cheap tequila in it with water squirt the fish in the mouth or gills it will just lay there with no fuss calm as a kitten! Beer works as well!
This works with CocaCola as well.

BajaBass

Bummininbaja
Feb 8, 2007
La Paz, BCS
Name
Jon Lundberg
Boat
16ft,Ensenada Boat Works, Mi Sancha/'02 17' Triumph CC
Trolling with a TLD30 2-speed, 50lb mono, TLD 20/40 Star Drag, 30lb mono. Rods, a Profile Tuna Stopper, 5'6" 30-80lb on the 2 speed, bought here in La Paz, and a Seeker SC-665 Classic Series I have had for 15 years. Already bought a new gaff, and drilled it for a wrist rope!!!
I will try the tequila/beer spray for sure. For some reason there is always 12-24 Pacificos in the seat/cooler.:hali_olutta:
I've got a bat, but I usually thunk em once they are in the damn boat.:rofl:
I was :shithappens: bricks when the tuna flipped out, because I let the baby do-do go, and the wife wanted fish!!

Derek and Chuck, get down here!!! :finger:

This little skiff works great as long as it doesn't blow too hard!

Thanks guys, I've been waiting a while to be able to make this post!!!!

Attachments