Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
None
Short report
Went on the San Diego. Boat caught 33YT/34ppl. The wind and seas were up most of the day. Fish were off of North Island, full sized yo-yo jigs worked best, color didn’t matter. Caught 1/2 of the fish in the AM and other half PM. A lot of bait out there, fish did come up high in the afternoon. I would take a surface iron if I had to do it over again. Also a fly line bait might have worked but the fish up top were never set up right to have your bait drift under them. The fish were mixed 8-20 lbs, I absolutely did horrible, couldn’t buy a bite for most of the day. But I wound until my arms felt like coming off and scratched out 1 for the day. It was great to be out on the water, first fishing trip of 2021.
Matt did a great job keeping an eye on the island for any sign of fish even when we were rock cod fishing. Great boat and crew.
0C6E5F9C-6D94-4913-9DBD-0247FFAEFFA2.jpeg

The first mate on the SD is one of the few deckhands I would let tie my knots if I was so inclined. Saw him connect spectra to mono with FG+Risoutto finish, and dropper loops with a spider hitches.
Get out there, and lines!

Last edited:

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Sacks look full. Thanks for the report.

Reactions: Jiggermeister

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Short report
    Went on the San Diego. Boat caught 33YT/34ppl. The wind and seas were up most of the day. Fish were off of North Island, full sized yo-yo jigs worked best, color didn’t matter. Caught 1/2 of the fish in the AM and other half PM. A lot of bait out there, fish did come up high in the afternoon. I would take a surface iron if I had to do it over again. Also a fly line bait might have worked but the fish up top were never set up right to have your bait drift under them. The fish were mixed 8-20 lbs, I absolutely did horrible, couldn’t buy a bite for most of the day. But I wound until my arms felt like coming off and scratched out 1 for the day. It was great to be out on the water, first fishing trip of 2021.
    Matt did a great job keeping an eye on the island for any sign of fish even when we were rock cod fishing. Great boat and crew.
    View attachment 1265959
    The first mate on the SD is one of the few deckhands I would let tie my knots if I was so inclined. Saw him connect spectra to mono with FG+Risoutto finish, and dropper loops with a spider hitches.
    Get out there, and lines!
    Those two in the sack look like they were decent grade. Thanks for the report.