Full-Day, Open-Party - Tuna & Yellowtail - Tactics, Tips & Tackle ?

PENN

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    As an 'old guy' I locked down & isolated for too damn long!
    I am vaccinated and throwing my mask in my car trunk and tomorrow going on a season warm-up Full Day, Offshore trip, on an open boat out of San Diego. I also have a cousin from Okla coming in July (hosting him to a Full Day offshore), and I would like to appear to be a knowledgeable coach.
    My research yields recommendations to bring 30, 50 & 80 pound gear, and use no more than 60 FL for bait. As these are full daylight trips, glow seems less important than glitter.
    This seems a new game of new choices. It appears that only about of 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 open day boat fishers get the medium or bigger tuna, while majority get smaller Bonita and newby YT.
    I will listen to the crew, but also wonder what the BD experts suggest.
    Any Full-Day, Open-Party .... Advice, Thoughts, Tactics or Tips?
    Thanks,

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

winnawinna17

the only thing worse than getting old... is not...
  • Apr 17, 2018
    Los Angeles, California
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    dreaming
    BFT fishing on a full day is usually a homerun or strike out. Like you were saying listen to the crew and use their suggestions. You may only get one shot at a BFT and you will want to have the correct gear in hand. As most full day boats are full daily, you will have to be lucky to be out on the correct day and on the correct boat for those grand slam hitter days.

Katy Perry colors work because they are shiny in the daylight.

It looks like more and more bonito are showing up on counts. Bleed it out if you are going to eat.

Good luck out there. Watch out for the tangled lines. But most of all, have fun on the water.

Learning how to cast your bait away from all the guys that just drop and pray for no tangle will come in handy.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I picked up an interesting tip from crew of the San Diego.
    When flylining live Sardines a frequent method is to nose-hook horizontally thru 'nostrils'
    The crew recommended vertical, not horizontal, hooking for rubber-band-sinker rigs. Said the chin-thru to-nose hooking made even dead bait seem to swim on slow retrieve and GOT BITES.
    Adding to the knowledge -- Thank You San Diego crew!

Last edited:
    Reactions: jig77 and kbray001

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Take all the rods/reels and tackle (you can never have to much tackle) as possible. If your uncertain on what works and what doesn't work, Just pay attention to the ones who are hooking the fish and do Exactly what their doing. Forget about what some people say is the hot ticket. There getting bit and your not should tell you something.

Upvote 0