Full day on the Liberty

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Vikingman, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Vikingman

Vikingman Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    24ft Skipjack Molly M
    Went out on the liberty yesterday, Aug. 1st with 40 anglers. The boat accommodates a large group pretty well. Fished somewhere around the 371 spot. The boat total was 24 fish including yellowtail up to about 20 lbs. Some smaller Bluefin and Yellowfin were also caught. I got skunked. The bait were small sardines, not too lively. My friend caught a yellowtail and a tuna. He used a Lexa 400 baitcaster to cast out away from everyone else. He fishes party boats a lot. There is a real art to fishing a crowded party boat which I still haven't mastered.

There were a handful of successful fish stops but the bite didn't last very long on any of them. The captain knows how to find fish but it is just a little scratchy out there still, though it is getting better. I saw only one troll fish caught.

fly liner, Geo-Fish, Cbaldwin and 3 others like this.
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Great report! Appreciate you posting Tim. Sounds like a decent day and you'll be an expert the more you learn and duplicate what your buddy is doing!

Geo-Fish likes this.
  3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice meeting you Tim, I also added a report! Better luck next time, For sure Tony got the job done with a Tail and YFT.

Let's share a rail again soon!

rick rouland, Geo-Fish and Cbaldwin like this.
  4. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Get a hot bait , don't destroy it hooking it, wind in your face, follow your line, cast as far as needed, have your drag set properly , don't cast over other fishermen. Catch a fish repeat . :720icon:

Paul Ward likes this.