Islands Full Day Coronado's on the San Diego - 4/18/21

Jimmyz

Jan 4, 2021
San Diego, CA
Name
Miguel
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2301
Due to a faulty safety switch on my boat and needing to have the part ordered, I took advantage and jumped on the last spot on the “San Diego” out of Seaforth Landing heading out on a Full day to the Coronado’s. It was a full boat with 34 souls looking to get lucky, we departed Seaforth on time and slowly made our way, there were some decent swells and a bit of wind, but nothing too crazy. The Captain informed us that the Yellowtail had been acting flaky in the mornings, so before going after them he wanted us to have something to take home to the freezer, so we started off the mornings with a little bottom fishing.

On the first stop, we dropped out lines onto a spot roughly 380 feet, dropper loops dressed with strips of squid and live bait was the recommendation. In a very short amount of time fish were hitting the deck, very nice quality rock fish were making an appearance, I was able to bring up a couple, so looks like there will be a few tasty fish tacos on the menu soon. Everyone did very well, we hit a few more spots with the same routine, depths from roughly 180 – 380 feet was the norm for the morning.

1618929084554.png
1618929136482.png

Later, the Captain announced that we would now be making our way closer to the islands to try our luck on the Yellows, the day was getting warmer and the conditions around the island were still quite windy and a little messy, but tolerable. In little less than an hour the Captain announced that a nice school was spotted on the fish finder, get your poles ready! Anglers ran for their rigs, some already geared up with Yoyo’s, some fly lining live sardines and a few with a single Yellowtail drop rig. As the bait flew out the back of the boat, the Yellowtail started boiling, yells from the crew to drop your lines!! “Get those lines in the water!” in short order screams of hook ups were being heard around the boat, deck hands scrambling to keep people untangled and gaffs dropping 20 lb Yellowtail on the deck. From what the crew told me, most of the YT were caught on Yoyo jobs, just a few on live bait.

Even though I was not one of the lucky few to hookup a yellow on this trip, I was happy to have a few Reds for the freezer, I also caught one of the two legal size Calicos. It is nice to see and know the quality of fish is there to be had. So after all the high fives and fist bumps subsided and the trip came to an end, the final numbers for the “San Diego” were about:

17 Yellowtail
80 White Fish
135 Vermillion Rockfish
2 Calico Bass

Last edited:

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Taco time!

Reactions: Jimmyz

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I don't know why people shit on salmon groupers. They fry up just as good.

Opinions vary.

I never "shit" (nice pun BTW) on them, I usually just descend them back to the depths. :D

Just noting there were none in his count, yet there were possibly 3 in the pics!

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Did you catch more rockfish on the squid strips or live bait? We were in one of the Private boats around you and it was pretty tough fishing early on bait as we didn't have any squid. We hit 4 or 5 spots before we found a rock with biters on it but it was mostly 2-3# groupers and only 3 reds. And the weather was a beater for us.

Thanks for the report!

Jimmyz

Jan 4, 2021
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Miguel
    Boat
    Seaswirl Striper 2301
    Did you catch more rockfish on the squid strips or live bait? We were in one of the Private boats around you and it was pretty tough fishing early on bait as we didn't have any squid. We hit 4 or 5 spots before we found a rock with biters on it but it was mostly 2-3# groupers and only 3 reds. And the weather was a beater for us.

Thanks for the report!
    Our Rockfish / Bottom fishing was mainly done on squid strips, I tried doubling my chances by using squid on one hook and a live sardine on the second, but all the fish I and the guys around me were catching were mainly on the squid.

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS

Mike in Murrieta

Looking for a female boat owner into fat men
    Apr 16, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Nope
    Good report and update on current conditions at the Nados.
    I am heading out on Saturday aboard the Searcher. Hoping for some yellowtail, but the bottom feeders will be acceptable.
    Looking forward to using my first custom rod, UC Reaper.