Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
I’m just checking to see if I’m properly equipped for this full day trip before the time arrives to head out.

I have a lexa 300 with a fin nor power lite 15-30lb rod ,

a torium 20hg on a graftech 20-30 8 foot ( I’ve caught 40lb catfish on this rod with a different reel no problem) ,

a fth40nld 2 speed on an okuma cavalla 40-100 I planned on using for flat fall etc

Bold #7

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
Most rods and reels will suffice, 20lbs test though is important with fluro leader
#1 or #2 hooks. Bring an extra with 30lbs for good measure. You will be in hopefully
waters with YFT, YT and dorado 5 to 20lbs.

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
Most rods and reels will suffice, 20lbs test though is important with fluro leader
#1 or #2 hooks. Bring an extra with 30lbs for good measure. You will be in hopefully
waters with YFT, YT and dorado 5 to 20lbs.
Picked up a bunch of owner fly liner hooks in 2 and 1 size , I have 20-80 mono spools and a spool of 20 fluoro . Is there any reason to use fluoro and not mono ?

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
And am I fine to just use fluoro leader about the length of my rod or do I need to add a large top shot ?

nu2reels

edited so you don't read the defaulted stuff, lol
Nov 26, 2008
Los Angeles- South Central
Name
Dan
Boat
None
My personal opinion is I find it easier to attach flouro to mono in a hot bite or have an extra rod ready in case I don’t want to hurry with a knot

Totally up to how you prefer to fish, you should be comfortable with what you know and usually do.......

don’t sweat it and enjoy the trip

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
My personal opinion is I find it easier to attach flouro to mono in a hot bite or have an extra rod ready in case I don’t want to hurry with a knot

Totally up to how you prefer to fish, you should be comfortable with what you know and usually do.......

don’t sweat it and enjoy the trip
Yeah I can tie a leader to braid in about 30 seconds and I planned on having everything setup to just swap it out situationally . I just know some people run braid to mono to fluoro , I typically run braid to mono but only use about 6 to 8 feet of mono. I just don’t get the importance of running like 100 feet of fluoro / mono etc

nu2reels

edited so you don't read the defaulted stuff, lol
Nov 26, 2008
Los Angeles- South Central
Name
Dan
Boat
None
Running longer mono helps you cast the jig or bait out a bit further before the knot goes thru the guides, if you have a bulky knot that is....

So if you can cast 25 yards or so, have 30 yards or so of mono.

with the rod tucked under my arm and the hook in one hand, that should be your leader length, again to keep the knot from going into the top guide and jam up on the bait toss IF you like a short flouro leader to braid

have fun, it’ll be a blast

Reactions: Drowningman

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Are you heading out Sunday on the San Diego? If so I will be aboard with some family and I’m more than willing to help u... my guess is we will be in small yellow tail, dorodo, and small yellow fin area... no need for the big guns. 20,25,30 flouro tops... honestly I don’t know how much I will actually fish as I want them to have fun

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
Are you heading out Sunday on the San Diego? If so I will be aboard with some family and I’m more than willing to help u... my guess is we will be in small yellow tail, dorodo, and small yellow fin area... no need for the big guns. 20,25,30 flouro tops... honestly I don’t know how much I will actually fish as I want them to have fun
no , but i did see a random opening for 1 on sunday and considered heading out on that one as well. im going mid week , next week. i really appreciate the offer to help me out though , was really cool of you

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
Running longer mono helps you cast the jig or bait out a bit further before the knot goes thru the guides, if you have a bulky knot that is....

So if you can cast 25 yards or so, have 30 yards or so of mono.

with the rod tucked under my arm and the hook in one hand, that should be your leader length, again to keep the knot from going into the top guide and jam up on the bait toss IF you like a short flouro leader to braid

have fun, it’ll be a blast
thanks for all the tips and the well wishes, im excited as can be

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
i went out tuesday and they dropped a marker on a killer kelp...just small fish
for sure, yeah i know san diego and grande are pretty notorious for placing transponder on kelp paddys. its usually hot conversation topic on radio lol

nickbok

Jun 13, 2020
San Diego
Name
Nick Bokhoven
Boat
Wild goose
We fished Wednesday on the boat. My set ups were

Fathom 15sd 50 lb braid to 20 lb fluoro with #2 ringed offshore hook
Fathom 25nld2 65 lb braid ton30 lb fluoro same hook
Lexa 400 65 lb braid to 40 lb fluoro #1 circle

caught fish on all three. It was mostly transponder paddies with small yellow tails, mid grade dorado and skippers.
Great boat. Have fun.

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One

caught fish on all three. It was mostly transponder paddies with small yellow tails, mid grade dorado and skippers.
Great boat. Have fun.
Nice thanks for the heads up ! I hear the boat is strict about only keeping bigger fish is that true ? I want to treat my family to a nice dinner but we have a big family😂

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One

Great boat. Have fun.
Forgot to ask we’re you only fishing bait or were irons working ?

nickbok

Jun 13, 2020
San Diego
Name
Nick Bokhoven
Boat
Wild goose
There were rat yellows that came over the rail and were kept. We are talking the 3-4 lb variety. Dorado were probably 10-15 lbs. no throw back policy that I know of.

nickbok

Jun 13, 2020
San Diego
Name
Nick Bokhoven
Boat
Wild goose
Have a rig with a colt sniper. As the boat pulls up on the paddy, get it out from the bow before the bait guys. Those with hugs and irons were treated to at least one early fish off every kelp holding fish.

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
Have a rig with a colt sniper. As the boat pulls up on the paddy, get it out from the bow before the bait guys. Those with hugs and irons were treated to at least one early fish off every kelp holding fish.
what we’re the good colors and sizes on the snipers ? I’m assuming the p line laser minnows, megabaits, and live deception ahi jigs would all work too ?

Blind Luck

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Here's the catch from Sunday ...Took my nephew
IMG958607.jpg
IMG958612.jpg