Fukushima Radiation

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by frazier, Aug 23, 2017.

1. frazier

frazier Member

Name:
    gordon grant
    Boat:
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    just heard that the west coast is being absalutely fried with Nuclear Radiation from Fukushima ! That 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna tested are unfit for human consnmtion and its getting worse ! We will be feeling tha elevated effects from this for the next 200 years ! Its killing off the salmon runs in oregon and putting fisherman out of business ! Also heard the mexicans cant sell their tuna in the tuna pens because of the radiation levels !! Its even affecting the plankton ! Look it up guys on the internet , could be the beginning of the end for pacific ocean fishing

2. scbassmaster

scbassmaster twin22s

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
    Oh yeah, all of that stuff on the internet about radiation from Japan is totally true and we will all be dead in a few days... I'm not saying that there aren't measurable amounts of radiation in our marine life but I think this is a little exaggerated. FDA would shut down the sale of tuna if it was a problem IMO.

makairaa likes this.
  3. MDC

MDC Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    Sources please.

freegaff2, T.O.T.W. and T-Tang like this.
  4. kbray001

kbray001 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    You need to adjust your tinfoil hat. All you are getting is static.

matta57, Woodeneye, makairaa and 8 others like this.
  5. frazier

frazier Member

Name:
    gordon grant
    Boat:
    Internet

Blackfish likes this.
  6. frazier

frazier Member

Name:
    gordon grant
    Boat:
    I hope you are right and i hope i am wrong !

7. MDC

MDC Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    Crickets......That's what I thought!

8. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    When you read political sites you get a ton of false/deceitful information....this year was a banner year for people and corporations pretending to be informational or news webs sites.......no wonder we are here now.

9. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Live from Catalina!
    [​IMG]

Blackfish, Preempt, matta57 and 25 others like this.
  10. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Did someone leave the door to Craigslist open again?

kbray001 likes this.
  11. kbray001

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    If you make a post like that you better have some better sources than saying,"the Internet." People on bd talk a lot of crap, but we also do our research. What articles are you talking about?

You might want to be careful. Your ignorance is hanging out.

T-Tang and Baja Bum like this.
  12. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    when the flat falls and the tuna are the same glow then it might be true

13. frazier

frazier Member

Name:
    gordon grant
    Boat:
    What ? You dont know how to look things up on the internet ?

14. parkermann2

parkermann2 Member

Name:
    Parker Manning
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yes and all the nuclear testing they've done since the 40s in the Nevada/Arizona desert has done the same right?

15. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Here's what Ken Buesseler form Woods Hole says: (This is only a small part of the article)

Is radiation a concern along U.S. and Canadian coasts?
    Although we have found traces of radioactive contamination from Fukushima in samples collected through our citizen-science initiative Our Radioactive Ocean, the concentration of cesium-137 and -134 in these samples is well below levels of concern for humans or marine life. The highest levels of cesium (10 Bq/m3) attributable to Fukushima that we have measured were found 1,500 miles north of Hawaii. Swimming every day in the ocean there would still result in a dose 1,000 time smaller than the radiation we receive with a single dental x-ray. Not zero, but still very low.

Looking ahead, levels of any Fukushima contaminants along the West Coast of North America are predicted to peak around 2015 or 2016, but at levels similar to what we are measuring in some of our samples today. This is not to say that we should not be concerned about additional sources of radioactivity in the ocean above the natural sources, but at the levels expected, even short distances from Japan, the Pacific will be safe for boating, swimming, etc. Nevertheless, we continue to monitor levels of radiation up and down the West Coast through Our Radioactive Ocean.

» More about what we have found off the West Coast here and here.

Has Fukushima been responsible for the deaths of marine animals in the Pacific?
    To date, there have been no reliable links made between radiation in the Pacific and mass die-offs of marine mammals, birds, fish, or invertebrates. Some of these die-offs have been attributed to viruses, warming water, and other changes to the marine environment that need to be addressed. If there were effects from radioactive contamination, we would expect to see the largest effects off Japan, not the West Coast of North America, and this has not been seen.

» More about the history of mass mortality events in the environment

How far can radiation travel?
    Ionizing radiation itself cannot travel very far through the air. Typically, dust and other particles, seawater and other liquids, or even gases pick up radioactive contaminants that are then transported great distances. In the months and years after the explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine, scientists were able to track the spread of radioactive material in the atmosphere and the ocean around the globe. Within a week after the explosions at the Fukushima plant, there were reports of very small increases in radionuclides on the continental U.S.

» More about mapping and monitoring radiation from Japan and the different types of radiation.

If radioactivity from Fukushima was released into the atmosphere, should I be worried when flying?
    Immediately following the nuclear accident at Fukushima, radioisotopes were released into the atmosphere and were quickly carried around the globe by the wind. Gases and small aerosol particles (dust) are the main carriers of the radioactive materials. We detected extremely low levels in the atmosphere here on Cape Cod 10 days after the first releases, despite the distance from Fukushima. Iodine was the main isotope detected but it has a very short half-life (8 days) so it disappeared very quickly. The only population of concern would be those in close proximity to the accident and fortunately the wind blew most of this contamination offshore.

These radioactive elements are generally carried by dust and fall quickly out of the atmosphere near the source via rain and settling, and are not a concern for flying in airplanes. When you fly in an airplane you are exposed to natural sources of radiation from cosmic rays emitted by the sun. Exposure to these additional cosmic rays is not detectable in the health of pilots or those who spend a great deal of time flying.

Is radiation exposure from the ocean and beach a concern?
    I stood on the deck of a ship l2 miles from the Fukushima reactors in June 2011 and was about one-half mile away as recently as October 2015 and the radiation detectors I was carrying showed little or no increase above background levels. Even the samples I collected (water, sediment, plants, and animals) from these locations are safe to handle without any precautions. In fact, our biggest problem is blocking interference from background radiation in our samples so we can isolate the trace levels of cesium and other radionuclides that we know came from Fukushima.

On the West Coast of North America, radiation from the water, sediment, and biota is even less of a problem because of the distance from Japan and the dilution that occurs as the contaminants cross the Pacific. The greatest concern is for those who work on the site of the reactors because leaks from storage tanks could release water with high concentrations of contaminants.

How does Our Radioactive Ocean measure radiation in seawater samples?
    We use a method that is capable of detecting extremely low levels of the specific radioactivity produced by cesium isotopes released from Fukushima in seawater. First we pass a seawater sample through a column of cesium-absorbing beads made of a resin that has been optimized for use with seawater. Then we dry the resin and place it in a high-purity germanium well detector made by Canberra Industries for between 24 and 72 hours.

Entire article here:

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=127297

moorefish, T.O.T.W., Reel hip and 5 others like this.
  16. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    The double gravitational pull from the sun and the moon during the eclipse drew all the radiation from the Pacific and injected it into the SOCal BFT.

You can use :puff: as your "internet source".
    You're welcome. :D

@-EZ likes this.
  17. kbray001

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    Never mind, I was giving you a chance to backup your ignorant statements. But there is no sense. You can't argue with stupid.

MarktheShark56 and MikeyLikesIt like this.
  18. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Thanks Chuck.

19. momaguro

momaguro Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Pequod
    I heard that the jackpot on sport boats is now based on the fish with the highest level of radiation instead of weight. Is this true?

plj46, Get_Hooked and wils like this.
  20. cappedor

cappedor Newbie

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    Send all the bluefin you want my way I will take it all

seaquinn and cody martin like this.