Fujinon Binos filter

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Innocent Bystaner, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Innocent Bystaner

Innocent Bystaner Innocent Bystander

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Innocent Bystander 2901 Seaswirl
    Hey guys, my wife just bought me a pair of Fujinon 14x40 techno stabi binoculars. I want to put polarizing filters on it but now sure what size it takes. I've red some posts that say 49mm with a 48mm adapter will work. I checked with Baker Marine and he said that wouldn't work. Has anyone with these binos found what filters will fit ?
    Thanks, Dave M.

SDtone likes this.
  2. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    It will work. I did this based on a previous post about the same subject. Very happy with the results. Treat yourself to the brown filters as well as the polarized ones as they high light the paddies more. I had to add the links from my Amazon account back in for you but the credit still goes to Jarrod for schooling me on the right set up.

Whose filters? Take my money now!!!!

Jarrod's Post (with my links to Amazon)

OK, I know I lag, but I ALREADY have the right filters on my high dollar binos, so who cares if you guys LAG!

I gave some bum scoop in one of my posts on this thread. The Fujinon/Nikon and Frasier Optics all take 48mm filters. Not a common filter size, but a 48mm to 49mm step-up ring will allow you to purchase the more common 49mm filter size. Now remember, you have two lenses, so you need to purchase two of EVERYTHING.

Step up Ring:

This will get you into the more common 49mm filter size.

For the circular polarizer, I used this guy:

It's a good quality circular polarizer that allows you to adjust the polarization level by rotating the filter depending upon light conditions. Brighter = max polarization, dimmer = minimal polarization. I got this in the 49mm size which is the more common size.

For the amber filter to make paddies glow, I used this one:

This one worked best of the ones I had. It's basically a 3400K filter.

I was able to find a 48mm filter in this color so I went ahead and got this one. ALL filters are stackable, so I simply stack the polarizer on top of the step up ring on top of the amber filter.

I've been told by people on this board that they've tried filters that made what you see way too dark. If this is the case, you have purchased SHIT filters and should repurchase something that isn't crap. You've already paid over 1K for the binos (on the low end), so another 100 shouldn't be that big of a deal. If you noticed, I haven't included high end filters. I'm assuming we'll trash these filters over time, so I wouldn't want the best, but I do want good optics.

That's my charity for the month. If you can't find more paddies with the proper filter combinations...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Unassailable and aguachico like this.
  3. PoolMan

PoolMan 7 'dines short of a full scoop

Name:
    Chuck G
    Boat:
    8' sabot #69
    What about some eye cups for the Fujinon's? I am looking for the one with the single brow across the top to keep all of the extra light out. Has anyone found those?

wieisme likes this.
  4. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    ,got mine at Baker marine.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    You can get them at baker. They are made for the technostabis but you can jerry rig them to fit.

moorefish likes this.
  6. djam

djam Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 (Terabite)
    HI, thanks for the info, clicking on the amazon links takes me to the home page, any chance you could repost the links.

7. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    CLICK on the photo or Search on same description SOMEthing has been funky trying to post the links

8. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Dave,

You do not need circular polarizers unless they are auto-focus binoculars. Linear polarizers are fine. However, adjusting them both to the angle of light for maximum polarization will be time-consuming and somewhat annoying. You also lose 2 full stops of light with the polarizing filter (which is a lot of light).

If you need more contrast, a yellow-ish "warming filter" 81 A, B, or C would increase contrast and reduce eye fatigue and you only lose 1/3 stop of light. Nikon, Leica, B+W and Schneider make the best filters, but they are quite expensive. Hoya makes a good filter at a reasonable price. Tiffen, Promaster and Cokin filters would not be my first choice.

- Jeff Burroughs

moorefish and djam like this.
  9. djam

djam Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 (Terabite)
    Thanks Jeff!

10. cvjarrod

cvjarrod Freshie

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    24 Diesel Skipjack Flybridge
    Circular polarizers allow you to change the amount of polarization depending upon ambient light level. In the early morning and late afternoon, you want to dial back the amount of polarization to let in more light. Light level cannot be adjusted with a linear polarizing filter which makes them worthless unless you have bright conditions. And from someone who uses these filters, IT IS NOT TIME-CONSUMING OR ANNOYING. In fact it is so simple it makes me wonder about your abilities or lack thereof. Or have you just NEVER used circular polarizers?
    As far as contrast goes for paddy spotting I consulted with a kelp expert at UC Santa Barbara that is considered one of the top researchers in his field. Kelp actually changes color throughout the year, but the best "average" match I found was the 3400K filter. I seem to recall I posted the color bands he gave me for comparison purposes.

Willdoggy likes this.
  11. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Jarrod, I am not refuting what works for you, just offering another perspective on their use. Yes, I have used circular/linear polarizers for over 30 years and really like using them on cameras, but not on binoculars. I feel a contrast increasing filter is a better way to go as it reduces light to a lesser degree and does not need to be adjusted. Just a personal preference just like everything else with boating, fishing and life.

FYI: A circular polarizer acts just like a linear polarizer as far as results are concerned. It has to be adjusted for angle, and when properly aligned it darkens blue skies saturates colors and eliminates reflections from water. A circular polarizer contains two pieces and one of them is a linear polarizer, followed by another component which circularizes the resultant light only for the sake of camera sensors but has no visible effect on the image beyond linear polarization.

Just an opinion, but physics don't lie.

- Jeff Burroughs

moorefish likes this.
  12. C.Bergs

C.Bergs Member

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
    Hey guys,

Just got all this gear. To confirm, the sequence of filters goes:

Binos --> Step-Up Ring --> Polarized Filter --> Amber?

Does it matter if the polarized or amber are in different sequence?

13. cvjarrod

cvjarrod Freshie

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    Step up -> Amber -> Polarized

The polarizer costs less so it should be kept on the outside where it can be scratched.

It is also easier to adjust the circular polarizer when it is on the outside.

14. C.Bergs

C.Bergs Member

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
    Thank you, sir.

15. MikesOcean

MikesOcean Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Therapist
    Can someone suggest a good amber filter for the fujinon 14X40. The one provided in this thread does not seem to be available on Amazon.

Baker’s marine too?

Unless someone could suggest another one.

Thanks in advance

16. ssrmr2

ssrmr2 Member

Name:
    STEVE
    Boat:
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    the face shield fits from baker. but you have to modify then. I just stretched them over mine, it’s slightlyaway from the eye piece but it hasnt been that big of a deal

17. cvjarrod

cvjarrod Freshie

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    ssrmr2 likes this.
  18. MikesOcean

MikesOcean Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat: