Trying to Learn
May 29, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Dave K
Boat
n/a
Hi all,

Just wondering whether there is any difference between Fuji BNOG vs Alps XN Regular guides?

They both seem to be stainless steel with hard aluminum oxide ring inserts to allow for braid applications. I just want to know whether there is a huge quality difference.

On that note, how much better are Alconite guides compared to hard alum oxide guides? Should I be spending the extra money for Alconite or SiC on rods that will be used for fish less than 40lbs. Does anyone have a simple chart or list with a top to bottom rank of preference/quality?

Thank you for your time. For context, I am on my 1st rod build and overthinking every single thing 🤦‍♂️😵. I currently have a set of Alps XN regulars on hand.

DaveyK

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
whichever u can get cheaper. fuji/alps are pretty close (newer ones of course) im a fuji guy. i like using a fuji alconite tip just for a little extra hardness for $3 difference.
alconites are nice. are they worth the higher price on a full set? up to u. i prefer the bnogs unless ur fishing in the surf where line can pickup sand (quartz) id go with alconites or above.
bnogs frame and ring are strong enough for even 60-80 work. my friend caught a few cows on a cutdown super seeker ss80xh with fuji k-guides no issues.
i like using the bhnogs or sinII rings just looks kooler on stouter blanks.

Reactions: DaveyK

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Hi all,

Just wondering whether there is any difference between Fuji BNOG vs Alps XN Regular guides?

Yes. Alps left, Fuji right... both size 16. To be fair the Fuji MN frame better compares in line with the Alps XN as it features their Deep-Pressed ring frame.

Notice the difference in height as well as foot spacing.
    20210303_100445.jpg

Notice the difference in the thickness of the front leg.
    20210303_100500.jpg

Notice where the back legs meet the ring frame.
    20210303_100513.jpg

They both seem to be stainless steel with hard aluminum oxide ring inserts to allow for braid applications. I just want to know whether there is a huge quality difference.

Alps is 316 SS. Fuji I believe is 304. Without diving into a metallurgy debate, in my experience they both resist corrosion just fine... with care. I've seen both types develop rust when used and abused.

Both Alps H ring and Fuji Concept O ring will satisfy demands of using braid just fine under normal fishing conditions.

On that note, how much better are Alconite guides compared to hard alum oxide guides? Should I be spending the extra money for Alconite or SiC on rods that will be used for fish less than 40lbs. Does anyone have a simple chart or list with a top to bottom rank of preference/quality?

Fuji info here... https://anglersresource.net/read/fuji-features/

and for comparison,

Alps info here... https://alpsforecast.com/technology/materials/

The difference in performance is probably best noticed with fisherman really, I mean REALLY in tune with their gear. Basically a small percentage of fishermen who make casts all day, or spends a lot of time in the fight.

Thank you for your time. For context, I am on my 1st rod build and overthinking every single thing 🤦‍♂️😵. I currently have a set of Alps XN regulars on hand.

DaveyK

Hard to go wrong with Alps. Easy to go wrong with cheap knock offs. I've rewrapped a number of my earlier rods because like many, I didn't want to dive too deep money wise into a new hobby. Now it has cost me time to strip and rewrap because I was trying to save 10-20 bucks on a set of guides.

FARRIER

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2012
    Santee
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    Mako 223B
    They are both serviceable guides. I have a few rods with bnogs that have 100+ tunas to their credit. When it comes to tip tops I prefer fuji.

Reactions: DaveyK

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
    Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    I love the Alps, and not a bad price point. But, theres a reason I just ordered 200$ worth of Fuji BNOG guides. Ive used them on everything from 6lb to 50lb without issues. Im going to switch to Alps if Fuji does end up removing black guides from their catalog. So far, everyone has them on clearance, so we will see.

Reactions: 45king and DaveyK

DaveyK

Trying to Learn
    May 29, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Dave K
    Boat
    n/a
    I appreciate all the advice from everybody. Thank you.

Yes. Alps left, Fuji right... both size 16. To be fair the Fuji MN frame better compares in line with the Alps XN as it features their Deep-Pressed ring frame.

Hard to go wrong with Alps. Easy to go wrong with cheap knock offs. I've rewrapped a number of my earlier rods because like many, I didn't want to dive too deep money wise into a new hobby. Now it has cost me time to strip and rewrap because I was trying to save 10-20 bucks on a set of guides.

@skrilla Thank you for the in depth analysis, it was very helpful.

This really clears up a lot. I'm going to stick with the Black Alps XN Regular I have then. The rod I'm building is a Calstar 270-8h for live bait and I had put a fuji grip on there so I just wasn't sure if I wanted to buy guides to match. The black alps you hardly see the the ALPS lettering on them, and I really just want it to perform well.

I will probably buy some MNOG and NOG's just to have and see and feel the difference for future builds.

I'll post pics when its all done.

Thank you all!

DaveyK

Reactions: skrilla

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
    Sep 12, 2010
    garden grove, ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Maria
    yes i also apologise, i assumed op was comparing apples to apples. bmnog is the right guides to compare to alps xn aluminum oxide.

Screenshots_2021-03-03-17-45-08.png