Fuel transfer pump for portable containers?

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    Looking for a pump, preferably 12-volt, but manual crank/pump might suffice, to transfer fuel from portable plastic containers into my boat's tank.

For the occasional long trip, I've had to dip into the extra portable containers I brought. The way I'm currently doing it is by filling a smaller 2 gallon container and using that much-easier-to-control smaller tank to fill the actual boat fill.

Be nice if there were a safe pump that could do it.

Don't want to install permanent extra tankage. My need for this is rare.

Suggestions?

Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Larkspur
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    Why not just buy a small fuel transfer tank with a built in pump.....couldn't cost more than a few bills.

Reactions: Charts
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Amazon has 12 volt fuel transfer pumps, 100 % safe. No brushes or anything that would cause a spark, Everything is completely sealed. Transferring fuel is already dangerous, So whatever you buy make sure it's completely sealed (meaning no sparks or exposed brushes.

Upvote 0
    Mar 11, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    curt ljungquist
    Boat
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    Home Depot garden section has a quick shake siphon hose that works great.
    Just jack it off and it flows. No mess.

Northeastfshman
    Northeastfshman
    This - They work great. Just put the end with the siphon valve in the gas can, the other end in the tank and give it a shake. That's it. Works amazing for any can.

Amazon product
    Reactions: Errin
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
    Dec 15, 2005
    Garden Grove Ca.
    Name
    Larry Crownover
    Boat
    20 ft. Invader LC
    Harbor freight d cell pump works great for pumping out of a 5 gallon can. Just repaired my fuel tank and to save a few bucks I filled a bunch of gas cans with Costco gas and transferred it with a $10 harbor freight pump.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    Looking for a pump, preferably 12-volt, but manual crank/pump might suffice, to transfer fuel from portable plastic containers into my boat's tank.

For the occasional long trip, I've had to dip into the extra portable containers I brought. The way I'm currently doing it is by filling a smaller 2 gallon container and using that much-easier-to-control smaller tank to fill the actual boat fill.

Be nice if there were a safe pump that could do it.

Don't want to install permanent extra tankage. My need for this is rare.

Suggestions?
    I would think long and hard about getting a cheap ass pump for gas transfer. That boat going up in flames offshore because you bought a Harbor Freight made in China piece of crap while you and your crew have 50 percent burns while you tell them but I got a great price for the pump won't be comforting. I would think a little bit deeper on your choices if I were you. Had a friend of mine this happened to 50 years ago and he had 90 percent burns on his body.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    I don't use a pump on my 5 gallon gas cans. I put a spout extension on the spout then lift and pour. No problems doing it this way to look for a pump. The extensions I use is a No-Spill 206 flexible spout extension. There 6 inches long and if you get 2 of them you can link them to 12 inches. They're on Amazon like everything else.

Last edited:
    mahi
    mahi
    The problem with pouring gas at sea is:
    1- Possible spills.
    2- Most portable gas containers are plastic and lack grounding. Static Electricity can ignite fumes.

From a safety stand point, pumping is the safest method.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    Jabsco makes a 12v gasoline, not fuel, transfer pump, one specifically for gasoline. I just moved 200 gal out of a fuel tank. On land , not a sea…

The pump was not cheap but safety was a priority… actually hard to find but BoatswaIns Locker in CM had it.

Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Henriques 28 Express
    Here is how I tackled the same issue on a 1987 Shamrock that only had 60 gallons for a 225 HP V8.
    I bought 4-6 gallon tanks that had a threaded fitting on the bottom.
    I installed Out Board Engine quick disconnect (male end)on this fitting.
    I made a long fuel line, also with female disconnect and a priming bulb.
    I added another disconnect and isolation valve upstream of the fuel filter.
    This allowed me to run on the portable gas until they were empty and run on the boats tanks the rest of the day.
    I only used them when the I needed extra range to get to the fish.
    It was easy to install and inexpensive. The boat was a center console and I tied the cans up in the bow, out of the way.

As others have said, use a marine approved fuel pump and fuel hose, use a fuse on the 12 Volt power supply.

Upvote 0

baaadlybent

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 5, 2006
    Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    Easy. Amazon. $13 plus some hose. I've done this several times to remove many gallons of old gas from my big boat and run it through my 2-stroke outboard that doesn't care if it's piss or gas that's going through the carb.

JDMSPEED Universal 12V Heavy Duty Electric Fuel Pump Metal Solid Petrol 12 Volts​

Upvote 0