Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Boat Will Travel"
What have you Cabo guys done when you discover your below deck fuel tank is compromised? Here's my 1987 Cabo problem.

I took my 1987 Cabo216 to WSMS to diagnose a loud noise from my 2004 F150 motor (2500 hrs). Like the last time, I have another hole in the mid-section like I had 7-8 years ago. Ok I say, then lets fix that problem by replacing it with a new F150. Then shipping the old F150 to my cousin in Alabama after having it fixed and serviced (100hr service, new oil pump, and bottom end service). All repairs to be done by Robby. My cousin has a restored tunnel boat for bayou fishing but no motor or rigging. I'm going to take care of that. Now when I visit, I'll have a boat to fish in for reds in the bayous, and the backwaters from LA to the FL Keys.

However, when WSMS was looking into replacing my motor they observed what looked like pinholes on top of the 105 gal aluminum gas tank. They recommended replacing it at a cost of about $12k. WHAT! Obviously that's out of the equation.

What are my options:

1. repair the pin holes the best I can and wait for the fateful day
2. replace the old tank
3. abandon the bad tank and replace it with a above deck 24 gal fuel tank in the transom area close to the new motor.

In the short term, I'm thinking about option 3. for many reasons, i.e. rarely use over 12 gal on my type of fishing (9 mile bank), original tank is an accident waiting to happen, all fuel lines and filters will be above deck for easy access, and more weight in the transom to offset the extra weight in the bow area (3 batteries and a big trolling motor). Basically putting off replacing the below-deck fuel tank down the road.

Thanks for the advice,
HH

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
$12K?

Aren't you getting a new motor? Get a new tank. That sweet boat deserves it.

Reactions: gecsr1

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Who wants 12k to replace a tank ?

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
12k is WAY too high,I would seek out a couple more quotes and if their that high on the tank id check their motor quote too!Sounds like they really dont want the job.

Reactions: plj46 and R&R

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
$12K is way too much!!! Is the deck solid or is the the tank accessible.

Once you get the tank ordered, make damn sure it will be the size that you had before

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I spent under $2000 replacing the tank, hoses and all related items by myself. How much of their $12k quote is labor cost?

Last edited:
Reactions: Errin

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
We put an 80 gallon Moeller tank in my son’s Cabo 216, plenty of fuel running a four stroke compared to the old two strokes when the Cabo’s first came out.

40253082-B5C8-4ADA-AEFE-ED07DD946C96.png

F2298FA2-3432-4501-BA54-B4158A2CDB23.png

tunacraze

Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
Try American Tanks in La Mesa. They will custom fab an aluminum tank for around $1,500-$2,000.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I would do what Fishbones did. I had to replace my tank 12 years ago, thank you sprayed in foam that trapped the saltwater keeping it on the tank. At the time the aluminum tank cost me around $600, obviously prices have gone up. If I had to do it over again this time I would go with an 80 gallon plastic tank which is still more than enough fuel to have on board.

pukahd

Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216

Call these guys. They have the drawings and dimensions on the original fuel tanks. I purchased mines for something like $950. Fits my 89 Cabo like a glove.

Pulled my tank and and there were pin holes all over the tank.

Reactions: KID CREOLE

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
I’m sure that the $12k estimate included a considerable amount of labor to de-rig the seating and console, deck removal, new tank and plumbing, potentially rewire since everything is apart and out of the boat. How much labor was in that $12k? My guess 50+ hours.....

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
No way on a Cabo 216. Remove four bolts, lift seat and you have full access to the entire tank. No deck removal, no rewire, no de-rigging of seat or console. It should take less then 15 minutes to have access to the tank. No way in hell 12k, I'd like to see an detailed itemized estimate.

I’m sure that the $12k estimate included a considerable amount of labor to de-rig the seating and console, deck removal, new tank and plumbing, potentially rewire since everything is apart and out of the boat. How much labor was in that $12k? My guess 50+ hours.....

Reactions: pukahd

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
If what Mike I says is true, I highly recommend a plastic tank like Fishbones used. I have a 120 gal tank in my 88 23’ WAC. I pulled the deck, inspected and pressure tested tank, and replaced hoses. Tank was still perfect. Aluminum doesn’t like enclosed wet spaces.

Lifeislarge

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Best quote I got on a new aluminum tank for my 216 here on the East Coast is $1150 for a replacement 110 gallon. I had the old tank out in under an hour after building a gantry to lift the seating console and the tank out. It'll be a bit more work after moving the batteries forward into the seating console but that'll be somebody else's problem 25 years from now.

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Whoever quoted you $12k is a freaking criminal and not an honest outfit. I bought my Cabo 216 for $12k. Jesus

You should walk away from those guys and never go back.

Reactions: marlyn

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
For my Conch 27, it was $4,000 for two (2) custom 100 gallon tanks. But they were already in there doing changes to the divinyl cell cored deck. Tanks ended up being nearly rotted. New water tight chambers were created and the tanks were glassed in. I won't have to worry about them for the duration of my fishing life.

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
What have you Cabo guys done when you discover your below deck fuel tank is compromised? Here's my 1987 Cabo problem.

I took my 1987 Cabo216 to WSMS to diagnose a loud noise from my 2004 F150 motor (2500 hrs). Like the last time, I have another hole in the mid-section like I had 7-8 years ago. Ok I say, then lets fix that problem by replacing it with a new F150. Then shipping the old F150 to my cousin in Alabama after having it fixed and serviced (100hr service, new oil pump, and bottom end service). All repairs to be done by Robby. My cousin has a restored tunnel boat for bayou fishing but no motor or rigging. I'm going to take care of that. Now when I visit, I'll have a boat to fish in for reds in the bayous, and the backwaters from LA to the FL Keys.

However, when WSMS was looking into replacing my motor they observed what looked like pinholes on top of the 105 gal aluminum gas tank. They recommended replacing it at a cost of about $12k. WHAT! Obviously that's out of the equation.

What are my options:

1. repair the pin holes the best I can and wait for the fateful day
2. replace the old tank
3. abandon the bad tank and replace it with a above deck 24 gal fuel tank in the transom area close to the new motor.

In the short term, I'm thinking about option 3. for many reasons, i.e. rarely use over 12 gal on my type of fishing (9 mile bank), original tank is an accident waiting to happen, all fuel lines and filters will be above deck for easy access, and more weight in the transom to offset the extra weight in the bow area (3 batteries and a big trolling motor). Basically putting off replacing the below-deck fuel tank down the road.

Thanks for the advice,
HH

I have 2 cabos so I have went through it twice. First one I pulled the tank, cut out the bad spots, welded in new plates, coated it in West Systems epoxy after sandblasting it first and it has held up fine. The second one I had West Marine order the 80 gallon Moeller tank that Travis put in his boat, and with slight modification below decks, it fit perfect. Easier way is the new Moeller tank and it will never get a pinhole in it again!

Reactions: Fishbones

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216

Easest boat to get a tank out is a Cabo skiff. Undo 4 bolts, lift out the battle station seating as you undo one wire harness that goes to the deck light and you are done. Tank and all plumbing is exposed. No more than 30 minutes

Reactions: Fishbones