Fuel Surcharges

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by lowelld, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Slice-Of-Life

Slice-Of-Life SoCal Hoo and Blue Club

Name:
    Travis Magnano
    Boat:
    Nope
    I wouldn't completely agree with that. Since the rise in cost of fuel lots of things have gone up in price but they just raise the price instead of adding a fuel surcharge.

If you look at the boats that don't have fuel surcharges there trips are more money. So either way your paying for it. Now let's say fuel gets below $3.50 and boats stop charging a surcharge. What happens to the boats that have it already built into there all inclusive price.....?

2. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    We were on vacation in Hawaii a couple weeks ago. We took a helicopter tour of a couple of islands and all of the chopper companies we researched had fuel surcharges. When their using as much fuel as they and the LR boats do, it ain't just chump change. If their burning 30,000+ gallons and the fuel prices go up .50 it adds up. Just sayin'

3. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    I agree that it's a big part of their cost of doing business. From reading some other posts while back, I seem to remember that the fuel was bought on contract in advance.

From that, I'd gather that they would know in advance what the costs of fuel will be at the time of the trip.

Don't get me wrong, I pay the fuel and permit etc etc when it comes time. But it would be better to know all of it up front. instead of us asking on the board before our trip, what's the going rate for fuel surcharge.

Who knows, maybe it's a marketing thing. Make the trips look cheaper then actual. Who knows.

4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    There you go, Min.
    Add up all the numbers that your experience tells you are going to be there when you check-in and the Intrepid might cost a hundred or so more for fewer passengers. :)

5. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    MikeyLikesIt is an internet nazi.

Oh wait.............. that was someone else from 10 yrs ago. :rofl:

6. harddrive

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Yup. And by the time you're at the docks all worked up. What are you going to do? They know it.

7. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    Suck it
    its a battle we will not win. If its in the price its probably hidden. If not we pay it up front. So who cares you get to fish
    Just get on the boat let them burn the fuel to take us to places we drool over and fish eat, drink and fish

8. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    Pretty easy to figure the cost

Visa-40.00
    Excursion permits 8 day = 80-90.00
    Fuel at 20.00 a day ( as per the Excel ) = 160.00

so add an extra 280.00 to get off the dock to the trip price then do the math and get your per day cost.
    If you do this going in then you already have it in mind

9. wes cerny

wes cerny wes

Name:
    wes cerny
    Boat:
    none
    I like it all up front. I love it when I walk into the Intrepid office sign my name, pick up my ticket and leave. Ya it makes the trip look more expensive at sign up, but i know nothing else is coming.:waglleybooty:

10. fyermn

fyermn Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Advertising is advertising. Like all businesses, the posted price is the absolute lowest price. If you pay with a credit card, most LR boats add a fee, as the posted price is a CASH price( I know their are some exceptions). If projected fuel prices go up, a fee is added. If permits are added to the equation, the price go up. When passports were required, it added to OUR price as an increase.

Have you ever looked at a New Car add(TV or Newspaper), and gone to the dealer looking for that car at that price? Usually in the fine print, it states --ONLY ONE AVAILABLE AT THAT PRICE, or they say that car has been sold. That's advertising in this day and age. Boats cannot get you to even investigate their operation without a low price ad. If you don't call the boat operation, they have little chance to (SELL) you a spot on their boat, and believe me, they have to sell the spots in order to stay in business.

The Intrepid has a loyal following, and HIGHER than most prices, and that is their way of doing business. To me, I have trouble saving enough for a LONG RANGE trip, and the Intrepid is just to FANCY for me on a fishing trip. We all have to purchase what we can afford.

11. harddrive

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    That's called bait and switch. :)

Have you ever looked at a New Car add(TV or Newspaper), and gone to the dealer looking for that car at that price? Usually in the fine print, it states --ONLY ONE AVAILABLE AT THAT PRICE, or they say that car has been sold. That's advertising in this day and age.

12. ebnash

ebnash Newbie

Name:
    Erik Nash
    Boat:
    None
    First of all, I really don't sweat the fuel surcharges, I just expect them and pay them and get on the boat.

I agree with the logic stated above, that we roll with the punches and sometimes it costs less if fuel drops, but I think most people on here are upset because the surcharge doesn't always fluctuate as prices drop. Perfect point in case is the Excel tomorrow.

We know fuel is down from 2 weeks ago and we heard from one member here who got a surprise surcharge drop at the dock, but the Excel is still going to charge $20 a day for the 8 day leaving tomorrow. This just seems confusing...

I am just happy that I could get the total ahead of time so I could plan out the cash to bring to the dock in the morning.

I am a lot more worried about the weather coming down than the surcharge.:rofl:

13. titan05

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    The cost of electricity is going up so I think I may charge a " air conditioning fee" at work for my customers so they are nice and comfy...then hit em with a 10.00 per person surcharge when they pay.

Just kidding...the AC is a cost of doing business so if the fuel is an issue then put it into the cost of the trip up front...along with the permits and visas and let me pay for the trip up front.

Best resorts I ever went to were the "all inclusive" ones.

14. lowelld

lowelld Member

Name:
    lowell
    Boat:
    bath tub
    One bar of soap, a plastic cup wrapped in plastic, no shampoo, and a cold linoleum floor (deck)--Motel 6 or The Intrepid. It all depends on who your roommate is. Fishy and Jimal--the happy couple.

15. LagunaTuna

LagunaTuna Newbie

Name:
    Skip
    Boat:
    Excel - Red Rooster - Reel Time
    First off I don't think SD fleet wants to be considered in the same realm as doing business with a car dealer trying their best to get more add ons to the botton line, don't think that most folks have too high of a regard with how that business venture is generally negotiated.

I kind of look at this whole fuel surcharge agenda as truly not needed, but it is something that we have become accustom too and have accepted. Don't know about the rest of you, but if I go to the dentist and he/she says its going to cost $800 to do a root canal and I schedule the work to be done a month or two down the road then complete the work and then get a bill for $975 I am not going to be a real happy camper (again its not so much the extra cost, its the principle). I really don't care if the dentist's electric bill, water bill, or even his/her insurance went up, I was told the final price and that is what I signed up for.

All I am saying here is I prefer to know what my total trip cost is going to be at the time I book my trip, rather than being held hostage at the dock with a fuel surcharge that is calculated how?, and this transaction is now happening after the boat/landing has my trip cost paid in full and my monies are in their bank account, so what is my option as the consumer at that stage? can I cancel my trip without penalty if the fuel surcharge is too high for my original budget?

All inclusive price means just that: all inclusive, if fuel goes down that radically in cost on an all inclusive priced trip than the boat can offer a cash refund or a credit towards a future trip, most anglers would be happy with that resolve. If fuel prices skyrocket above projected cost on an all inclusive trip than the boat could elect not to run, but I get a full refund and I go another day rather than be held hostage and make me pay a fuel surcharge that I did not sign up for in the begining. Most likely not going to see fuel prices fluctuate that radically in a 6 month period of time is my take on this, to where a boat is losing so much money based on their original projected fuel costs they can't run.

OK, If we are going to get ultra precise about fuel costs and mandate that I as a long range customer am paying for the higher cost of fuel as a separate transaction above the cost of the trip price that I booked because long range boat operators are losing money in droves than why don't we calculate the "actual" fuel costs at the end of the trip so I and the other anglers pay based on how much fuel was consumed on our trip?, kind of like a car rental when you check back in, why should I or anyone pay a fuel surcharge in advance of a trip that is based on what?

And one poster states the boat's are giving us the benefit of the doubt basing fuel costs at $2.50 per gallon, how do we know that? And why then do some boats charge a higher fuel surcharge per day than others in the fleet who are buying their fuel at the same place and cost?, bottom line IMO: its just too confusing for the patron and it raises doubt so you feel like you are doing business with a used car dealer which has been my point here from the begining.

Other thing is why do SD long range boats have to publish trip pricing a year in advance, they could state TBD (too be determined) and still take deposits if anglers wanted to give them. Then as the trip date got closer and fuel prices were projected properly for all inclusive pricing they could shore up the published trip price and book all those who were ready, willing and able to lock in at that time.

JMO

16. titan05

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae

Lowell....you know I would share with you :rofl:

You can have my Chicken Feet as well

17. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    you should think about getting a life.........

away from BD. I just dont understand how people can leave home, and arrive at the BD forums, without their SARCASM CARD.

:shake:

18. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Laguna you actually understand what is going on unlike many here.... some folks are in such awe of some of the operators they will bend over and smile no matter what....they make excuses and rationalize that these guys were pioneers and how much they have done for the sport and how they are nice guys...in any other venue these same people would be screaming murder if they were shorted a nickel at a store......or will drive cross town to save .02 a gallon for gas.:rofl:

I have never understood the fuel surcharge ...I want to know how much a item or a service costs me upfront......don't any of you supporters wonder why the permits costs are different from operation to operation or why one boat charges $20 a day for fuel and another charges $5.......if you are happy with that then by all means keep paying and they will not change their operating procedures....heck if they can get extra money off the top why stop.

the LR operations provide a great product and one of the best things is there are so many choices..you can chose a all inclusive price or price than has add ons if that is more your style. bare bone operations or luxury all the way.

19. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    yep.....me and Jimal:hali_olutta:

Lowell something you can relate to... wine in a box or A nice Stags Leap Cabernet.....

20. Slice-Of-Life

Slice-Of-Life SoCal Hoo and Blue Club

Name:
    Travis Magnano
    Boat:
    Nope

There is no way this could work. So I have an upcoming 5 day on the XL for $1740 + permits,fuel and tip. So let's say the trip will cost me $2200. I knew that 3 months ago when I originally booked the trip. Now how could I plan a trip for a price of TBD. For instance I put my $500 deposit on my trip and 30 days out they say the trip is $2300 and what if that is out of my price range? I loose my deposit because I didnt know the cost of my trip. Maybe people that have better jobs than being in the army could swing at whatever the price is but the fact is most people save to do one or two trips a year.

I wish there wasn't fuel surcharges but not because I don't understand the cost of fuel but I would like to keep a little extra in the $$$ in the bank or give it to the crew for a tip. I remember going out on my buddies 34 twin diesel sport fisher. We would leave friday run all day/night and fish Saturday. When we returned we were looking at a $800+ fuel bill. So for me to go out for 5 days and pay an extra $100 I don't mind it. If you break down the cost your paying about $350-400 a day to go LR. Expensive of course but break the cost down to what your actually getting its cheap. Between the meals, the crew there for your service and the fact that we're out doing what we love fishing.