DesolateGreg

Jun 22, 2020
whittier
Name
Greg
Boat
16' starcraft
Hi guys,
I was having some fuel related issues with my boat. The motor is a 2012 yamaha f150. It has about 500 hours on it. I had replaced the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors, vst filter and cleaned the vst housing. Issue started with a bad fuel pump , fixed that then it started running bad so injectors came after.
I have been watching my water separator like a hawk thinking I maybe had water in the fuel or something. I even pumped all the fuel out and refilled the tank. I went out yesterday did about 70 miles. The boat ran great all day. When I got home I drained my fuel water separator into a clear glass jar and it looked cloudy. I let it sit over night and the cloudyness is gone but there is a white sediment in the bottom. Any ideas what it is? Salt? aluminum fuel tank breaking down? Ethanol / water? Maybe someone was using my boat to smuggle some Columbian bam bam ? LOL any help is much appreciated !!!

IMG_2774.jpg

Reactions: Avery Gilleland
Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
Aluminum tank internal corrosion. Keep an eye on this as some folks switched to a 2 micron racer filter to keep their motor “clean”….

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Napa
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    Following also as I have basically have huge filters getting clogged by large amounts of a fine white substance. I inspected my 250g tank upon boat purchase which was squeaky clean. I also replaced a short run of fuel line with ethanol friendly line....dont know what else I could of done to be proactive. After getting said filters clogged I inspected the filters only to find so much white substance I could literally scrape it off the inside of the filter by the spoonful. My next step will be to have the substance analyzed by a lab as I get about 150 gallons of gas run before clogging. I will start looking at the filter itself breaking down??? What kind of filter/s do you have?

Last edited:
    D
    DesolateGreg
    Sounds real similar to what Im dealing with. Im running a yamaha fuel water separator then just the normal filter on the motor itself.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    X2 me too. Let us know what they say with the analysis

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    My guess is Aluminum oxide from the fuel tank. Internal corrosion most likely from sitting a long time with no fuel in the tank. The aluminum combines with the moisture and oxygen in the atmosphere. The empty tank "breathes" everyday through the vent line. As the temp increases during the day, the air in the tank expands and goes out the vent. When it cools off at night it retracts and it brings in a fresh batch of moisture and air.

Put in a 2 micron filter and keep it changed. Hopefully you will be able to remove all the contaminant by changing the filters. As you can see it stays in suspension and does not dissolve. It is very abrasive and particles less than 2 microns will get by the filter into the moving parts of your fuel system.

The ultimate solution. Replace the fuel tank. Keep an eye on it.

D
    DesolateGreg
    Thank you. Im willing to try anything before removal of the tank , looks like a nightmare
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0