Fuel Polishing

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Gmoyer, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Gmoyer

Gmoyer Member

Name:
    Gary Moyer
    Boat:
    38' Bertram - Los Lobos
    I want/need to check the fuel in the tank and was told (and plan) to call a fuel polishing place. Does anyone know what they do beside pumping out the fuel so they/I can see if it has crap in it (e.g. what's the "polishing" part)? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks....

2. MM2

MM2 thunnus

Name:
    charlie
    Boat:
    26'PACEMAKER SPORTFISHER "CORAZON"
    drain your tank, and then hook up pump and filter and a solution and run it thru until it cleans up, process can take a while depending on age and type of tank. some cases aluminum is the worse. after completing the polish it is a good idea to track fuel usage and refills so you can maintain tank with octyl alcohol to remove water.good luck, Charlie/ mm2

3. Gmoyer

Gmoyer Member

Name:
    Gary Moyer
    Boat:
    38' Bertram - Los Lobos
    Thanks Charlie....

4. cvjarrod

cvjarrod Freshie

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    24 Diesel Skipjack Flybridge
    After you drain the tank, use a light to look at the inside of the tank. If it has significant pitting, it's probably a waste of time to polish the tank. It will muck up really quickly once the tank is in this condition. If the tank looks good, try this:

You need an air compressor to do it right.

You'll need a piece of air line that is cut off. Put the air line inside of the tank and turn on the air. The air line will thrash around in the tank knocking off any debris on the sides and top of the tank. It also does a good job of distributing the clean gas/solvent over the entire tank. Do this each time after you add more gas/solvent and before you drain. That's the "polishing" part.

Also, I've never seen a marine fuel tank where you can actually get all of the fuel out. It's better to use a vacuum that runs off the air compressor and vacuum by removing the sending unit and vacuuming the gas out. DO NOT use a regular vacuum cleaner. They aren't ignition free and you could blow yourself up.

Good luck.

5. Gmoyer

Gmoyer Member

Name:
    Gary Moyer
    Boat:
    38' Bertram - Los Lobos
    Thanks for the good info, bro.....

6. Halibut Howie

Halibut Howie Member Since 2003

Name:
    Halibut Howie
    Boat:
    1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Boat Will Travel"
    Had my 105 gal tank polished about 3 years ago. The guy came out to the boat parked in front of my house and did it. His unit with a couple of tanks with different filters is portable so he can do moored boats as well. He opened up the tank at the fuel gauge's sending unit cover and stuck a copper tube in there to suck out the gas while he moved it around to stir up and get all the debris out. The unit cycled the gas thru the filter tanks and was put back into the tank at the gas tank output nipple. He did it for about a hour for a cost of $350. I did not know if I needed it but it's a 1987 gas tank and just wanted some piece of mind before I bought a new 4S motor. At the time he was the only mobile guy in town in the yellow pages.

HH

7. rickg

rickg Newbie

Name:
    You can't figure it out?
    Boat:
    18' CC "Tailchaser"
    I had my tank done this past summer.
    30 gal tank done for $300.
    It was worth every penny to not have to deal with it.
    The Company was:
    Fuel Oil Polishing
    Roy (I think)
    619-990-9830
    He even guarantees it.

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sold !
    He did mine, 165 gal. (diesel) about 2 1/2 yrs ago. Great guy!!

9. rmassara

rmassara Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Various
    Hi Guys

He sounds like a good guy, but there is another method of performing Fuel Polishing.

You can have a permanently installed system - its made by reverso pumps in Florida (speak to Jim) t 954-522-0882 or (Reversible Impeller, Gear Pumps, Fuel Polishing Systems: Industrial, Marine).

In the UK we sell it (Fuel Filtration and Fuel Polishing Systems - Separ Distribution UK - Home).. its a stand alone system that recirculates and processes the fuel directly from your tank. Removing the water, bacteria, sludge etc. A purpose built system is certainly more expensive than your guy.. no quesiton. But you do get to use it whenever you need to / want to without extra cost. We tend to recommned once per month, more if the boat has been standing for a long time.

Cheers

Richard

10. Dirtguy

Dirtguy "It's all Good!"

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
    Ok. This is an area where I actually have some experience. If it's a metal tank , like aluminum, then there's very little likelihood that anything has been attached to the inside that a straight chemical cleaning can't remove. It has to do with it's "permeablity." In other words, it's ability to be porous and have a surface that can be "attached to". Which in any case of any metal, it isn't.

If it's diesel, then bacteria can grow and create a biocidal "slime" but it can still be removed by adding a "de-icer" which is mostly methanol.

So if it makes you feel any better, send me the $350 and I'll send you a "chemical polisher." for your peace of mind.

If you DO choose to save the cash and do the chemical route, then I do recommend that you change your filter MORE often until it's run at least one full tank through if it's a carb'd engine. Some Diesels and most EFI will re-circulate the fuel and clean it faster.

DG