Fuel issues last week and towed in

iddooer

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle
Name
Lee
Boat
22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
Someone was asking for info on my situation with me saying I had fuel issues and was towed in by the coast guard. I’ll try to make it brief. Last time out squiding I smelled fuel and started looking for the reason. Ended up having to removed the floors to find a crack in the fuel tank. Brought it back to the manufacturer to have a new tank installed. After everything was reinstalled I took it in for service and had everything gone through and thought it was good to to. I took it out for about a two hour test run and had no issues so I refueled and loaded up for the Hali opener. We made it out to our destination and came to an idle. Within 5 minutes or so the main engine dies. I fired up the kicker and the same happens to that. We checked for obstructions in the lines we tried bypassing the fuel water separator I pulled the fuel sending unit to make sure there was fuel in like the fuel flow meeter was reading thinking maybe someone siphoned the fuel out the day before but didn’t think about pulling the fuel pick up fitting off the new tank They should have had that thing installed at the factory. I never thought to check that till I was getting towed back in. Had a few hours to think about it and came to the conclusion that it was most likely something like that. So we were not able to start either motors and was towed in After the boat was on the trailer we went to rinse off the trailer at a ramp with no other boats pumped the balls both motors fired up. I them pulled the bait tank off and remove the fuel line and removed the fuel pickup tube. Seems the manufacturer forgot to install the fitting without the pickup tube. With it being choppy out there last Thursday my boat was in a nose up attitude most of the way out making the fuel be at the back of the tank and the fitting was acting as the pick up for fuel. Once I slowed and was floating around the fuel in the tank leveled off and the motor was not getting any fuel. Hope that makes sense

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Well your home safe at least. - Bet the pickup tube is sloshing around the tank somewhere. (broken or disconnected somehow). Would be surprised if it was never there to begin with.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Damn thunderjet why no get anything right?

That sucks I'm surprised you made it as far as you did. Wonder if it was left off or broke off

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Never fails , the dam learn curve of our boat and issues they present. sounds like the 3rd run will be the charm!

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I had a similar problem 10 years ago on a tuna run after a new engine was installed and new larger fuel line run to the tank. The difference in my scenario was my pickup tube was a half inch too long so had pressure from hitting the bottom of the tank which caused the pickup tube to deform a bit around the hose barb. This allowed air to get sucked in. Same symptom, the engine would not run, I could have solved mine on the water by pulling the pickup tube and cutting it down but did not figure it out till I got home.

How far out were you when the motor died and how long did it take to get in?

Upvote 0

iddooer

Sep 21, 2010
    Seattle
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
    Yep sounds very similar. I was out NW at the halibut hole on the 124.53 line pretey far offshore. Floated around total time around 5 and a half hours. Took a few hours to get towed in as well

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Glad things turned out well. In some conditions, no power can be a dangerous thing.
    The situation you experienced is precisely why I carry an auxiliary tank for the kicker, filled from a different source than the main tank. I'm setup to run off the main tank for the kicker in general use, but the aux tank is always on standby in case demons infest the fuel. On the water exorcisms are generally quite difficult to perform.
    I discovered on one memorable occasion (crossing the bar on an ebb), that a four ton boat doesn't paddle real well.

Reactions: Tish
    Upvote 0