FTHII8XNSD?

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
I expected the Fathom 15XN, but I expect to see a new 8XN. Tell me more.

EF4AF424-F121-416F-81CB-86A806434011.png

Last edited:

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Lots of cool stuff that "would" have been debuted this week at the ICAST Show.
The "official" videos etc. will be released all this week, and I will post them as soon as I get them.

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
Also see a single speed 10XN. Come to papa!! Is that a narrowed 15?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

Jenx

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2017
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
None
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I only just saw there was a Fathom 8 coming out, and this popped up in my Google search.

Out of curiosity, what would this reel be good for? It weighs more than a 300 size baitcaster, and has less line capacity.

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
Loma Dorada. Tijuana Mexico
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y and Jenx

Jenx

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2017
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
None
Thank you for the response. I didn't know they were releasing a slow-pitch line.

I'm definitely interested in trying out slow Pitch JIgging, as I find the videos hypnotic, but as someone who has never fished this style, is there any reason why a Fathom II 15 wouldn't work just as well as the 8 for slow pitch jigging? Same retrieve rate and drag. Less than an ounce difference in weight. The 15 would definitely be the more versatile reel.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Thank you for the response. I didn't know they were releasing a slow-pitch line.

I'm definitely interested in trying out slow Pitch JIgging, as I find the videos hypnotic, but as someone who has never fished this style, is there any reason why a Fathom II 15 wouldn't work just as well as the 8 for slow pitch jigging? Same retrieve rate and drag. Less than an ounce difference in weight. The 15 would definitely be the more versatile reel.

Correct, the 15 is more versatile, but many anglers are looking for a specialty reel.
The key is the much narrower frame of the "8".
Depending on how you hold your "Slow-Pitch" setup, the 8 is easier to palm, and will be more stable and less prone to twisting in your hand.
The PENN SP rods, are "acid wrapped" to also help facilitate this.
No matter how you hold it, it also requires much less manual "levelwinding".
Outside of the SP applications, SoCal anglers over age 40 will definitely love this reel "when/if" the albacore [hopefully] make a comeback.
In the meantime, I plan to use one on a vintage 196-8-L and pretend those football yellowfin are actually albacore.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Though there is already a separate thread about the SP reels, here is a photo for size reference.

Slow Pitch reels best.jpg

Reactions: Jenx

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Size reference:
25NLD2 lower right, 15XNLD2 lower left.
10XNLD upper right, 8XNSD upper left.

SP comparison RESIZED.JPG

Last edited:

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Size reference:
25NLD2 lower right, 15XNLD2 lower left.
10XNLD upper right, 8XNSD upper left.

View attachment 1204087
Hi Steve @tunanorth ...just wondering if the new Fathom 10XNLD has also the Thrust Bearing same as the 2-Speed Lever Drag? Also size wise vis a vis FTH 8XNSD? Thanks.

I‘m just waiting for the delivery of my FTH 8XNSD and this FTH 10XNLD will be my next purchase.

Last edited:

husonfirst

Oct 22, 2016
NE
Name
Huson First
Boat
Rowboat
What is the weight of the 8XN? I didn't see it listed on the Penn website.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

Jenx

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2017
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
None
Wow 16 ounces? I sure hope Tackle Directs specs are wrong, because if that reel truly weighs that much, yet only holds 260 yards of 20lb braid... Oof. No thanks.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Wow 16 ounces? I sure hope Tackle Directs specs are wrong, because if that reel truly weighs that much, yet only holds 260 yards of 20lb braid... Oof. No thanks.

The FTHII8XNSD is simply a "super narrow" version of the better-known FTHII12SD, which weighs in at 16.9 ounces.
Really only a small amount of material is removed from the frame and spool arbor to make the narrow size.
The gears, handle, drag, etc. are all identical between the 8 and 12 sizes.
For that extra .9 of an ounce, the 12's line capacity is listed in the catalogue at 455/20, but I get 400/30 on there using Berkley Pro-Spec solid braid if I am going with no topshot.

Reactions: rexor_rn

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
The FTHII8XNSD is simply a "super narrow" version of the better-known FTHII12SD, which weighs in at 16.9 ounces.
Really only a small amount of material is removed from the frame and spool arbor to make the narrow size.
The gears, handle, drag, etc. are all identical between the 8 and 12 sizes.
For that extra .9 of an ounce, the 12's line capacity is listed in the catalogue at 455/20, but I get 400/30 on there using Berkley Pro-Spec solid braid if I am going with no topshot.
cool! btw Steve @tunanorth....does the FTH 10XNLD has thrust bearing too? thanks.