JamesTaylor

Tackle Whore
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
Hey guys, just got another surface iron reel. I was thinking 40# mono but I might get 200 yards or less. Although 600’ will probably be sufficient for 99% of what I catch with it, I still want to have a little more than that.. has anyone used 100# braid? Seems like that will be the best of both worlds with ease of casting, capacity and strength. What line have you guys been putting on it and how much does the 25n hold of that line?

Thanks, Taylor

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I use 50# JB (450 yards) and 60# JB (400 yards) to a short top shot on my Fathom 25 nld2. I couldn't imagine using 100# braid on that reel, but I probably just do not understand your mission. I do know that fishing deep water Halibut with 80# braid it is Very Hard to break your line if you snag up... like tie it off to a cleat hard.

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
I think you're going overkill if you lean towards the 100# especially if as you say you intend to use it for surface irons and 40# mono and it won't cast as nice compared to lighter line.

Hopefully I'll be picking up the same model as you but I intend to put on 65# with enough room for a 25 yard topshot that I can easily swap out and put on 30-50# and can use it for multi-tasking depending on the situation.

JamesTaylor

Tackle Whore
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
Just to clarify I am not going to use this as a 100 pound reel but I have noticed the thicker braids cast a lot better

lazyfisherman

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
This seems like an easy fix. Spool up the reel with 150yds of 50lb Spectra to as much mono that will fit on top. You'll have more than 200yds of line and fish the thicker mono you like.

Reactions: Bchbum54

JamesTaylor

Tackle Whore
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
James - you're very close to Island Tackle over in Carson. Go see them...

65# solid core spectra to the 2/3's fill line, with enough 40# mono on top to cover your longest cast. You should end up with roughly 300 yds of line, total...

You'll thank me later!
that’s what I ended up doing, 2/3 65# then 1/3 40# mono. This is The first reel that I haven’t filled to the brim with braid so I am curious to try it out and see how an all mono cast is. Another question, The fathom has six pins on the left side of the spool, how many do you guys have turned on?

CommanderPinhead

“You merely adopted the bilge, I was born in it”
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
that’s what I ended up doing, 2/3 65# then 1/3 40# mono. This is The first reel that I haven’t filled to the brim with braid so I am curious to try it out and see how an all mono cast is. Another question, The fathom has six pins on the left side of the spool, how many do you guys have turned on?
So the more mass is centered towards the spindle of the reel, the more energy it will carry over time as there is more inertia.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
I finally got to make a few casts with my new Fathom II 25N today. I have it full of #65 JBraid. I think I have exactly 400 yards on it.

Was casting a JRI7 downwind with a short 3' leader of mono. Yes, I know, downwind, but still... wow. Very, very nice reel. Zero issues or worries about backlashing at all and I was trying to make pretty hard casts at probably 85-90% effort. Nice and smooth retrieve. Really glad I ended up getting the new II model instead of the older 25N.

And to be honest, I did not try casting upwind, there were too many people around and I did not want to press my luck. I'm glad with my results for the time being.

JamesTaylor

Tackle Whore
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
I finally got to make a few casts with my new Fathom II 25N today. I have it full of #65 JBraid. I think I have exactly 400 yards on it.

Was casting a JRI7 downwind with a short 3' leader of mono. Yes, I know, downwind, but still... wow. Very, very nice reel. Zero issues or worries about backlashing at all and I was trying to make pretty hard casts at probably 85-90% effort. Nice and smooth retrieve. Really glad I ended up getting the new II model instead of the older 25N.

And to be honest, I did not try casting upwind, there were too many people around and I did not want to press my luck. I'm glad with my results for the time being.
nice I would have to agree that it is a nice reel. I have been casting it in the harbor and it feels real nice. Smooth retrieve and as always from Penn, smooth drag. Now I’m itching for another rod. Im looking at 900monster and the 900 delmar. I pulled on them earlier this week and they both bend really Nice but the monster is significantly lighter in weight and feels less powerful. I am thinking about going with the monster to start but Which of those 2 sticks would you guys recommend for general SoCal YT surface fishing?

CommanderPinhead

“You merely adopted the bilge, I was born in it”
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
nice I would have to agree that it is a nice reel. I have been casting it in the harbor and it feels real nice. Smooth retrieve and as always from Penn, smooth drag. Now I’m itching for another rod. Im looking at 900monster and the 900 delmar. I pulled on them earlier this week and they both bend really Nice but the monster is significantly lighter in weight and feels less powerful. I am thinking about going with the monster to start but Which of those 2 sticks would you guys recommend for general SoCal YT surface fishing?
Calstar 540 for 40lb If you want a ten foot stick for range and has the bend for 40lb, you can’t beat it. There is nothing wrong with using glass what so ever... also it has a superior bend to the Ulua 100-10... any of the composite Uluas... they bend like a telephone pole. With the 540 you can move around on 40lb with ease.

If you’re going to fish 50lb, a glass PH 93H. The newer black ones in glass. You can fish 50lb super hard on it, it loads up well, and it’s pretty parabolic. Also I’m
not talking 80lb braid to 50lb top shot. I’m talking straight 50lb mono which you can far harder.

the advantage of glass is that you can feel you’re jig moving in the water better. You can feel if it’s thumping... make changes to your speed if it’s not swimming right. Or swim your jig if you have the patience for it.

If you’re dead set on a UC... CE 900 Delmar. It’s a parabolic rod that loads up well... but they’re just too skinny. They don’t feel right to me.