FTH 60ld2 as a "local" 80 lb reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    I don't anticipate going on any serious LR trips anytime soon. My fishing is restricted to local banks, Tanner, SCI ... 3-4 days max. Not exactly Cow Town. I have redundant 50 and 60lb gear that works just fine but would like the extra drag pressure of 80lb terminal tackle. What do you think of putting 24-26 lbs of drag at strike on a FTH 60? It's to the brim with whatever 100lb braid Squidco spools with.

2. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
  3. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    The 40NLD will bind at 24 lbs of drag so I would think so would the 60.?

4. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Max at Strike is 23 pounds, so if you have it at 20-21, you should get 25-26 at Full, and that still allows you to get in the low 30's at Sunset.
    As noted, trying to get 24-26 at Strike will result in binding.
    There have been a surprising number of Cows, and even a few Supers caught in CA waters the past few seasons.
    The FTH60LD2 is a fantastic all-around reel, but it is not a substitute for an International 16VISX.

Tackleho619 likes this.
  5. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Okay thanks, it was just a thought, I really like my (5) Fathoms and was hoping it would work. I have other reels I can use if I really feel like I need an 80, probably in the same class as the 16VISX so I was thinking of buying a 20VISX as a step up, would that be overkill as an 80 lb reel? It would go on a UC Centaur I'm having wrapped now.

6. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

The 20VISX does 80-pound topshots with relative ease, and when that's all they are biting at Guadalupe, it does give an amazing amount of power with a minor sacrifice in weight.
    The sweet spot for the 20VISX is with 100-pound topshots, either during a good bite at Guadalupe, or at the Hurricane Bank. That is what it was specifically made for; note that the 20 size is not offered in the VIS series, which has the top frame bar and lighter drag curve primarily intended for East Coast anglers.