Frustrating night hooping

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tony Gio, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Tony Gio

Tony Gio Newbie

Name:
    Tony Gio
    Boat:
    Striper 2901
    I dont post much, and especially not posts like this. However, I wanted to share my frustrations of a borderline dangerous encounter with the Vessel "Alexes" last night at Catalina. Long story short we had just dropped our first set around some great marks we had scouted earlier in the day. While waiting for them to soak "Alexes" shows and it looks like he has a 4 pack charter going. He proceeded to drop his set right in the middle of mine with us sitting a short ways outside. Now, let me get something straight, I realize no one owns the ocean and I have no problem sharing spots with other fisherman. As a matter of fact I encourage it as most of the time we end up working together to increase productivity. This time however, it was ridiculous. When he finished, we went to start pulling ours to find that he had tangled four of our hoops, and was not using a counter weight so all his line was floating on the surface making it impossible to even get to several others. We needed up making it work and pulling our set and re setting a little inside to avoid his mess. This is when it got bad. We started pulling our second set and he decides to reset his right on top of us while we were pulling. Multiple times he came within 20' of us, as well as trapped us between the boiler rocks and his floating line. This is when I started getting frustrated as it was no longer an annoyance but a safety concern. I asked him to please get on the radio (he was so close he could hear my voice from his helm) so we can talk. He comes up, I express my frustrations and concerns and he simply says "sorry we don't have much time". I ended up pulling them all and moving to a new location to avoid the mess altogether. Anyway, I know this is a total rant but I really hope that we can all maintain some sort of etiquette while fishing near each other. If you are tangling others people lines, and making other fisherman nervous about their own safety you are doing something very wrong, especially if you are running a charter boat. I attached a picture so you can see how close he was to us all night. IMG_1415.jpg

2. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
  3. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    TO ALEXES,
    Really sounds like a selfish and dangerous move. Not very professional.

4. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    if it where me...I think when he set on top of me again I would have had to "cut his lines to free my prop" and if he said something I would gladly have told him "sorry dude where where in a hurry" to free our prop :shake:

5. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    A sharp knife works great to keep you from getting a rope stuck in your prop.There is just no courtesy anymore out there.I'm fishing areas that suck just to have a calm peaceful evening on the water.And thanks for calling somebody out instead of not naming the boat.

6. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yeah, so... Lobsters make people into ass holes, it seems.

I was at Santa Barbara Island recently. There were hundreds of commercial lobster traps surrounding the island. Every single structure spot outside of the kelp and many within them were taken up by lobster traps. There was literally no way to fish within the 120 feet limit without running into them.

Now I understand the fact that they're moving their traps off shore, now that the near shore lobsters have been fished out, but I have to ask - is it necessary to lay 500 traps around such a small island? What happens when you kill every last lobster and future generations get to eat the almost certain ban that is coming?

It's acts like this that make me lose sympathy for commercial fishermen. I know lobsters are selling at $40 a pound right now, but this is the future of the resource we're talking about. I fully expect them to close lobster fishing in the next year or two, and perhaps the commercial guys know it, too, so they're trying to catch them all before they're gone.

But I've never seen this kind of pressure on a species. Maybe the BFT fleet can be compared but you're only allowed 2 each day on that and no significant commercial fishing by US boats. Lobsters, though? It's like the gill net years all over again.

This shit is not going to continue. Between all the drama, over fishing, people stealing from traps, running over each other, divers fighting with boat guys, etc. It's going to lead to a ban. Count on it.

PacificBlue likes this.
  7. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Sounds like a dip shit to me.
    I never fish by anyone who is there first.
    Ocean is too big for this stuff.
    Safety is always first.

"sorry we don't have much time"

Sorry we don't have much brains.

Like the lobsters- shit for brains.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    RockyGizmo and tmines like this.
  8. plj46

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I don't think there aren't any more commercial traps out there than there was 20 years ago.And we won't end up killing every last lobster,just the legal ones every season.It's almost Christmas and then the commercial guys (most of them) will be done until next year.Hoopnetting has turned into a somewhat commercial style fishing,get it now while you can because the legal population disappears pretty quick.Then you scratch up what you can for the remainder of the season.

9. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hoop net crowd is indeed getting larger every year, but it seems focused on the first few weeks. In the Long Beach area, for example, I've been out several times at night, and each time I only see a few private boats targeting lobster after November. Maybe the crowd is all at Catalina, haven't checked, but it's like 5% of the boats on opening week.

But these commercial traps are getting worse, as time goes on. Early in the season, I saw a couple dozen at the islands. Now I see several hundred. Maybe it's the Christmas dead line and people wanting to finish the year with a bonus, but the bottom line is - it looks like greed, and reflects poorly on the management.

I can't speak for myself as I haven't been targeting lobster as much this year, but from what I hear, the catch seems to be decreasing, and that's what will ultimately cause a rule change.

10. plj46

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I'm not defending the commercials.Yes the hoopnet crowd has gotten pretty big.Don't expect much change anytime soon.They just did a change for us hoopnetters.GO ID numbers and a time change for the opener.Were good for a few more years now.Note the sarcasm.

11. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    IT sucks. Went out one time this season on my 24' On a Wednesday hoping to avoid as many people as possible. Pretty much have the entire island to myself, drop my hoops in tight about 1 hour before sunset... Then just before sundown a jack wad comes in and drops his unlit hoops just out side of my hoops....almost perfectly lined up with me.
    There are no more traps then 20 years ago, like plj46 said.

No new permits have been issued. Lobsters guys have sold their permits to new fisherman, but no new permits have been issued.

You will find more traps in certain areas due to the MPA's, which sucks for the rec guys. More pressure in smaller areas. Also, the Commercial Lobsters guys will hit the inshore hard, then move more traps to the islands.

The real issue is there are simply more hoopers. and there are a lot of a-holes. Another issue that bugs me (no pun intended), is that most of the Ca. Lobsters, are shipped overseas. Our natural reassures that is ALL OF OURS to use, is getting hit, to feed Asia. We are allowed 7, and the commercial guys have no limit and ship it to China.

Add all this in with jackhole hoopers that have no clew or common courtesy, and the entire thing sucks. I went out once this year.....it kind of sucked. If not for the nice weather and the fellow angler on board, it would have sucked. I'm almost ready to hang it up.

Matt Moyer and farhangs like this.
  12. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I looked up the commercial regulations, and it seems that there is a trap limit, as of 2017:

Each permit now allows for 300 traps. There's around 150 to 190 permits out there, from what I've read. The math says a maximum of around 50,000 traps, but no numbers on how many are actually used. I imagine it takes a lot of man power to go out and bait 300 traps even with machines helping.

Regardless, I can't see this continuing. More private pressure, decreasing population, more conflicts and drama resulting from the pressure, on top of more people being able to go out there and see what's going on... It's a matter of time.

Blackfish likes this.
  13. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    It sucks to have to do this, but once I set my hoops, Icircle them tight until it gets dark and I pull them. Any boat approaches, I immediately motor over to them and ask them to give me sufficient distance before dropping their hoops. Usually this works and they move on. If they ignore me and drop on top of me anyways, I use a grappling hook to snag any of their unsafely placed hoops and drag them to a place where I can safely approach mine. You shouldn't have to do this, but I usually fish alone and I can't risk wrapping a prop.

flyinverted and kevina like this.
  14. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    It looks like his boat was bigger than yours, so naturally he is going to be that cock sucker.

pacificscout and tmines like this.
  15. BrokeLoser

BrokeLoser Member

Name:
    Broke Loser
    Boat:
    Striper
    Do what I do....the buddies and I start the mornings off with x-large coffees followed by many adult beverages....we piss in water balloons throughout the day. People that get stupid on the water find our balloons raining down on them...I'm pretty sure they never get stupid again after the experience.

16. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Make commercial fisherman use open hoop nets like the sport fishermen and the problem goes away FAST.

17. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Not really.

In this case the problem is not commercial fisherman.

Read much of what has already been stated and start connecting the dots.

The unknown fisherman:p:

plj46 likes this.
  18. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    I would of cut them period on the second time he pulled that B.S.

19. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    You guys must have pretty small dicks to be able to piss into a water balloon.

20. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Then they realize what you did and you find your boat on fire then you go back and beat someone to death for that and do 25 to life for murder..all for some roaches... sounds about right..

BryDog and the SLIDER like this.