FROZEN!.....not the movie" Evinrude `140

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
88 Starcraft MR220V center console
so...looking at hundreds of ads..on BDO and CL and boattrader, just cant find any deals out there...gonna dive into the rebuild So has anyone out there actually rebuilt their own Rude V4??? I'll try to add photos to this string...

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
Thanks Burt...but not much choice if I wanna boat to bring down in the fall???Ive done a half dozen auto engines from scratch..dont have a wholesale source for parts but I do have a reputable machine shop...so here we go: Offering a "rebuild a 1987 Evinrude class" ...hands on training...enrollment fee for four(4) students is $500 each,,,lets see...Richie, Jeff, Dan...Mikee!!! see how easy...

Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    I've done a v6 evenrude. The rod bearings are roller bearings without cages,make sure you don't loose any.
    The rod caps and rod are the outer bearing race. When you put the rod cap back on,there are no locating pins,you use a scribe to align the cap and rod.(all three sides) then torque down and recheck with the scribe. This takes quite abit of time.
    I have a feeling with your engine completely frozen,your going to find the crank,bearings,
    And rods damaged. There's no machining on the crank,rods because of the roller bearings.
    Don't buy any parts until it's completely torn down.
    Maybe you can find a boat with a good motor to put onto yours.
    Good luck.

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    Thanks skipjack..that was the kind of info I was looking for...I'll tear it down here soon and get a better idea...I'll keep searching for a running replacement along the way..so, its crank and rod replacement if they are bad...fabulous!!! Thanks again!!:eek:

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    looks like parts without machining could top $1300...rebuilt powerhead looks like around $2500////seems like a good down payment on a running boat??? the saga continues

Reactions: skipjack
    Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Ditch the whole deal and find something reliable! Those airslots are very cool boats though. I'd consider getting a used 2 stroke or looking for a new rig.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    not having much luck finding a used motor...i'll know more when I get time to pull this one apart....

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    I retired my johnson after 15 years be thankful yours ran as long as it did.At a certain point you just have to let them go.

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    OK...delayed update...finally found the time to pull the carbs and intake....no water in fuel bowls (bottom carb gas smelled old, the other 3 seemed fresh?)..got carbs and intake off...no corrosion at all...down to the reed plate...looking through there... all looks well...got all the reed plate bolts out...gotta tap a bit on it and see if I can get a closer look at the innards.....perhaps its the lower unit and NOT the powerhead???...guess I had to start somewhere... stay tuned...

Reactions: bman440440
    Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    I pulled the heads at the beginning of this saga...some mild corrosion in lowest cylinder...not enough to lock it up?...engine is in neutral, prop spins by hand...hmmm

Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    Take the power head (engine) off. (Usually around 8 bolts) the hard part is lifting it off.
    First try turning it or the shaft to the lower unit to pin point which part is frozen.
    If it's the engine,split the case halves apart. The side with the reed valves will come off.
    Take a good look at the lower main bearing.
    I bet you will see what's frozen,good luck.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    I pulled the heads at the beginning of this saga...some mild corrosion in lowest cylinder...not enough to lock it up?...engine is in neutral, prop spins by hand...hmmm

Drop the lower unit, if you cant spin the flywheel with the heads off the crank and bearings are rusted.

Unbolt it from boat and throw it in the recycling bin

Upvote 0

Nick

215cc Triumph
    Aug 4, 2004
    san diego
    www.sandiegoanglers.com
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    bad habit
    It's a long shot but, when you spun the prop the drive shaft did not move if you were in neutral. It is possible that the water pump impeller is frozen (If you are lucky). Try dropping the lower end to see if the crank will turn. In the old days the junk yards could free up a frozen cylinder by pulling the spark plugs and filling the cylinders with Coke for a few hours. The Coke would dissolve the rust and allow the crank to spin! Try dropping a rusty bolt in a glass of Coke an see what happens.

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    Gonna pull the lower unit tonight or tomorrow...we've already tried all the other marvel mystery oil etc tricks and impacts and extension bars on the powerhead as described in earlier posts....it just seems so clean...so far, that it might be somewhere else and lower until is so easy to pull after doing impeller replacements over the years...who knows

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    spoken like a true resident of the palacial mansion on the coast of the sea of Cortez

love buddy...when are ya headed back down
    how are the puppies

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    soo...got the reed body off today...some corrosion on the lower reed body (the steel not the flaps..)AND i can see crusty brown on the sides of the crank journal(?) and very light rust on the visible rod end caps...so powerhead is coming off...all the bolts and nuts came out easy (stainless bolts) and im gonna pull the lower unit, a) to check it out anyway and b) so driveshaft doesnt interfere with the powerhead removal...(took pics with phone..cant figure out how to share them here...hmmm?)

Upvote 0

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
    Vail, AZ
    Name
    Mike Nervik
    Boat
    lets try some pics...carbs were clean...started finding corrosion on the lower reed bank..

140 lower reeds.jpg 140 carbs.jpg

Upvote 0