Front mount hitch?

Albiebac

Jul 23, 2004
Scripps Ranch
Name
Eric
Boat
25' Skipjack, Albiebac II
Who uses a front mount hitch to park their boat? If so, how heavy is the boat, and any issues? I'm looking to mount a receiver on the front of my 3500 Ram to park my Skipjack in a tight storage space (same space, just longer truck now). Hitches are rated to 350# tongue weight, 3500# towing, and 9000# line weight, so not quite in spec. Area is flat, so I don't foresee an issue.
Anyone else doing this?

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
maybe look at one of those powered trailer dollies instead?

If you haven't tried a front mount hitch, you're missing out. Makes launching easier also, and a whole lot cheaper than a powered dolly. Specs are probably fine for parking.

Reactions: marlyn and plj46

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
I always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger because we had a forklift to move the boat around the shop. It would of come in real handy more than a few times, and having the ability to slip a wench in the front or rear receiver would of saved some digging over the years.

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
My Grandfather used to get his boat up a steep narrow driveway like that.It was definitely the easier way to park the boat.

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
I had a bow hitch welded to the right side frame on a 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. I towed a 20 ft Shamrock and the storage yard I was in had narrow isles. Plus, the old style Dodge and a long turning radius. I used an extra long hitch receiver so the trailer would not bind on the front bumper. Pushing the boat into the storage spot was a breeze. Only down side was the double hookup.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
have one on my ford....it's a lifesaver....even better is the one on my jeep...I can put stuff in tight spots with that one.

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Have one on a Chevy 1 ton cutaway chassis box truck. Pushes a 7500lb boat around a 90° angle up an incline no problemo.

Absolute live saver! RV place in El Cajon installed/modified it for a reasonable price.

jondavies

Jan 30, 2012
Pasadena
Name
jon
Boat
Sea Ox
I have a front hitch and i love it ... i can push the +/-5,000lb boat up my long, narrow, sloping driveway usually in one sweep. When i was backing it up, not so much, as the wall stucco will attest. Lol

I got one online and it was very easy to bolt to my tundra.

The only problem is getting the boat out of the tight space in the yard. There's no room to back out with it attached to front or rear hitch on the truck. I had to get a Power Caster dolly to move the boat into the driveway before i can hook it up. The Power Caster is awesome but it can't handle the slope at the end of the drive.

It's a process...lol

Albiebac

Jul 23, 2004
Scripps Ranch
Name
Eric
Boat
25' Skipjack, Albiebac II
Well, sounds like the way to go. I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger.
I do have a small power caster for a small camper we have, but there's no way it could handle the boat, plus I don't want to be lugging it to the storage yard. Looks like I'll need to do the trailer hitch shuffle at the storage yard, but that's better than the back-up cussle. :p
I'm gonna order from etrailer, I'll post results.

markn91387

Gitsum
Nov 19, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Mark Nichols
Boat
tbd
I had a power mover dolly to push my 24’ Robalo around. It worked well but was slow and making the required 90 degree turn was a pita due to tire scrub on a dual axle trailer. I put a front hitch on my Ford for 150.00 and can’t figure out why I didn’t do this years ago. It’s amazing what a front hitch gives you in terms of trailer parking ability. No brainer, if you don’t like it you are only out 150.00 if you can’t resell it. The power mover was 2k. An expensive lesson.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Well, sounds like the way to go. I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger.
I do have a small power caster for a small camper we have, but there's no way it could handle the boat, plus I don't want to be lugging it to the storage yard. Looks like I'll need to do the trailer hitch shuffle at the storage yard, but that's better than the back-up cussle. :p
I'm gonna order from etrailer, I'll post results.
Most of all the Stucco Forman’s trucks
All had a front hitch,
So the could back up the mixer pump,
To the sand pile, I
Would see how good it would be to back a boat down with one.

Reactions: Chuck Roast