From Washington To The Bay...

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by Taydog1, May 7, 2017.

1. Taydog1

Taydog1 Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    25' North River Seahawk O/S
    Hello BD fam!
    We recently moved down from the Seattle area and have our new 25' North River Seahawk O/S moored in Berkley. We have lots of offshore experience (Salmon, Halibut, Halibut, Albacore) from the Westport WA area and up through Vancouver Island. Unfortunately no experience off the coast of Nor Cal. Our boat is rigged and ready to run and would love to meet up with some of you and get to know the area. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm missing my first ling and halibut season in Washington right now. If any of you want to head north, I have lots of awesome connections, just let me know.
    Tight Lines!
    Paul

2. JHarrison

JHarrison Newbie

Name:
    Joseph
    Boat:
    2101 Striper-Double D
    Welcome Paul,

As you probably know, salmon out the golden gate is closed until May 15. Halibut and striped bass are being caught in the bay now, and love bait is available at pier 44 in SF.

There is a popular "local" club, it cost $25 to join but is loaded with local info and knowledge, and fishing politics/preservation/restoration. It's called Coastside fishing club.

Send me a PM when you go out, I fish frequently and may be able to point you in the right direction.

3. brokeass boater

brokeass boater Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
    Welcome aboard. You probably have downgraded in the fishing standards in comparison to the PNW, unless you pick the WX windows that allows you to trailer to the lost coast,,north of Ft. Bragg and south of Eureka. Halibut ( Pacific ) is very limited season, no barn doors, otherwise Ca. Halibuts in the bay. Albi's normally, but the last 3 yrs I have had to run up to Coos Bay to keep the cupboard full of fish. I see your in Sac, great location for close runs to freshwater bodies and the Sierras. This is where a second smaller boat is a advantage and leave the big boat at home. The traffic is the worst part about trying to fish during the week, and coming home in commute traffic really adds to a already long day of fishing. Keeping a boat on the trailer is a big advantage because you can trailer to closer ports to the fish,, Salmon and Albacore. Bezerkley is fine if the fish are out front of the gate, but if the fish are north up by Bodega or south of Half Moon Bay, its better to trailer to those ports. I don't know if you've been fishing yet ( rockfishing ) out of the bay, but that's a live bait bite, artificial's don't do near as well, and get really high pressure from all the PB and charters. You have a awesome sled to do everything here, I was wondering why you slipped it? If your already throwing a sissy stick, your going to love tossing clousers to stripers in the delta. There's smaller closer knit fishing clubs that don't cost one dime to belong to, and aren't clicky within the club with latest bite info,,just say'n. I have several friends,,freshwater,,in your backyard and also a great network of guys that love to fish the salt, I'd be happy to connect you to them,, see you out there,,,gregg

4. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    Paul,
    Definitely join coastside, being apart of that club has helped me tremendously.
    Some big differences:
    It is WAY more windy during the summer. We get strong NW winds that create massive upwellings through June, and intermediately throughout the summer. We dont get that consistent calm summer weather that the PNW gets. You'll notice summertime ocean temperatures being colder here than up north because of the upwellings.
    Albacore fishing here is much more hit and miss. The big winds move the water big time, so you'll see water shoot in 50nm in a week then 80nm back out the next. Being trailer-able is big as the fish can be off Ft Bragg or off Santa Cruz. Or, you can do what we're planning on doing when the albacore show back up and plan on more 70-80nm runs.
    Salmon fishing seems to be every bit as good most years as up north. Looks like we're having a solid year so far this year.
    Bottom fishing is fun but not nearly as crazy as some area's up there. However, the access to our ports is far easier than in Washington. Since you're in Sacramento, I'd definitely look into moving your boat to Bodega. Less traffic to deal with, less boats to compete with, and a great later season salmon bite. And if your boat has the range, 70nm can put you fishing the southern ft bragg tuna grounds or the Guide.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    STANWOOD BOB likes this.
  5. Bigeasy

Bigeasy yeah, yeah!

Name:
    Eric W.
    Boat:
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    Welcome to the Bay! A trailer is a plus!! I guess the first thing I would do is go to American river and check out the salmon returning from the ocean! When you get there let the fish know that you own a North River! Badassed boats! That's all I have!

6. Norcalfish80

Norcalfish80 Newbie

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Montauk
    Join Coastside Forums for sure. I'm always down to get out fishing with new people, although there are people on here with way more experience than myself fishing the Bay. Halibut is probably your best bet out of Berkeley for a while. Sturgeon bite is still on in San Pablo as well from what I've heard on days with bigger tides.