Hawgboy

May 7, 2022
Garden Grove
Name
Gary
Boat Name
Any
1668460998707.png
I have not been on a 16 day since 2009 and we fished 10 days on the Mag bay banks for Big Yellowfin on the drift. After the 1st two days I had 5 fish from 150 to 220 lbs all on Flylined 130 blue Izorline on top of spectra. All fish were caught on 4/0 Super Mutu Circle hooks as that was buried in the corner of the mouth on each fish. However the hook in my Sardine was a #4 eagle claw through the nostriels . I fish a leash, a 4 inch or so piece of 15 pound test to the eagleclaw hook and tied to the bottom curve of the Mutu. Sardine is not harmed and will swim full speed away from the boat and you just need to be able to peel the line off to keep up with it It would work on 150-200 ld line also just never tried it BUT again bait selcton is the key as always
I fish Bluefin this way also on 80lb line. All my fishing is done on the bow flylining. The 09 trip was probably my last 16 day trip as I dont have the desire to do so again, and yes I landed more than 5 on the trip but released fish as the RSW went down and frozen was the only option, waste os resource in my view.
PS used this setup at the Lupe also, most people never knew what I was using on any trip, also the Mutu was ringed and the size of hook and leash length is based on the Sardine size

Last edited:

short-range

Independence
Jan 3, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
John
Boat Name
Intrepid/Independence
The funny thing is the few that asked what was doing were fearful a Tuna would cherry pick the bait or I would hook it and loose it on the Eagleclaw LOL. I have never missed a bite on this setup as soon as its touched in gear and wind
I like this! This is what I will be doing next season!

Reactions: nicodemus
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica from San Diego
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
I belly hook the absolute best way to get cherry picked :D by the tuna vacuum

Nose hook slide baits, gnarly current, or ultra long soak that I will stop and let the bait kick in the current as the spool is looking iffy for a bite

Last edited:
Reactions: strackle99
Upvote 0

FinHunter619

• May 18, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Marty Parsons
    Boat Name
    2021 Ranger 521L
    The guys I saw doing this is when fishing big man baits. Using a monster size 12 J-hook for the man baits, then having a smaller hook tied to the j-hook with spectra. Worked everytime!

Reactions: Bill W and ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

Hawgboy

May 7, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Any
    I like to nose hook and if your unlucky to get picked up on the long way out, chances are high the bait is lively and the slow wind back to the boat will get you a bite I'm talking Sardine fishing right now, man bait is a whole new thread and I have my secrets on that also

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Absolutely. I will help my fellow anglers and slow wind my belly hooked bait back. That is spinning in circles. Then rip the sardine off the hook next to a fellow anglers bait. Chum them up.

Then skip my hook back on the surface

Allot of scenarios

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    I like to nose hook and if your unlucky to get picked up on the long way out, chances are high the bait is lively and the slow wind back to the boat will get you a bite I'm talking Sardine fishing right now, man bait is a whole new thread and I have my secrets on that also
    We have been making all types of hook configurations for 20 years. We bring a bag of tricks to tryout on different fishing situations, however we have no real secrets, if you are fishing with us I will tell you exactly what we are using, if you ask. Some experienced anglers won’t tell you and I personally thought that was bad juju. We all need to learn from each other, I am looking to improve my sardine game, calico bass and grouper. We fish for those also on our long trip.

Upvote 0

Hawgboy

May 7, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Any
    We have been making all types of hook configurations for 20 years. We bring a bag of tricks to tryout on different fishing situations, however we have no real secrets, if you are fishing with us I will tell you exactly what we are using, if you ask. Some experienced anglers won’t tell you and I personally thought that was bad juju. We all need to learn from each other, I am looking to improve my sardine game, calico bass and grouper. We fish for those also on our long trip.
    Try the leash and you can leave your 20 year bag of tricks at home, maybe secret was the wrong word as I would share with anyone who asked but the funny thing was I ended up defending what I was doing because no one else was trying it or the crew said nothing

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Better show us a picture or two. Nose hooking is easy but unless there’s a good current or we’re on the drift, sometimes hard to get the bait to swim away.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Personally, I don't like that rig. Bait doesn't need to be at full performance for grouper. But being responsible because roosterfish share the same water. Circle hook. It's illegal here to kill a roosterfish

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    A big Steel One
    I have to be honest there has not been a whole lot of big fish caught on 130-150 flylined leader on my lastt 5 or 6 trips.

Lots of factors contribute - current - at Hurricane especially. If the current isnt pulling in the right direction, dependent on where your anchor is - nothing is going to help. If the current is screaming - I dont think it matters. Bait is going to get away from the boat.

Same can be said on the lower banks - current - you can flyline anything and get it away from the boat.

Never had much luck flyling with a trap rig - If the bait sucks and there is no current I am doing something else - chunking, sinker rig, balloon, big bait.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    John the super banks are different. 1 grade above HB in a completely different environment

But yah I get it

Boat had 52 big tuna in 05. I landed 5 on 130lb out of 5 bites but that was off dolphin and not anchor fishing

Reactions: JohnTFT and Bill W
    Upvote 0

Hawgboy

May 7, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Any
    Try? I have been using and making those configurations since 2000. Only 5? I was on a 10 day fishing the lower banks and landed 9 fish over #200, I was cutting the smaller, below #200 off.
    Yes I was there also and the right time and school presentation didn’t matter I’m not posting numbers as it doesn’t matter to me. My post said I landed five fish the 1st 2 days and to be clear it was in drifts with little wind and a long plunker style fishing and fished a way to get my bait away from the boat and having the Sardine in a very presentable offering. Early 2000’s was the best ever and plenty of novice angler landed lots of big fish

Your words were how can I get a bait to swim on 150 lb floro decently and need an option,I shared what works for me and your drifting into a resume challenge and lifetime big fish numbers on a certain trip or two All about egos in the long run I guess as my resume would say 1st 16 day trip 1979 Royal Polaris and that’s as far as I’ll go with this BS
    Lastly this about Tuna fishing not Calico Bass😂😂or Grouper

Last edited:

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    The last couple of trips to the bank there were tons of small fish that were eating most of the sardines, so we are fishing big baits 90% of the time and fish them more than anyone else. Our trip maxed out all of bait capacity and Frank added a extra external tank just for mac’s. This year we are honing our bait catching at the bank, we found perfect lures for the smaller tuna as bait, we are working on a finding a way to catch bigger mackerel at the bank for bait.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Westchester NY
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    I have to be honest there has not been a whole lot of big fish caught on 130-150 flylined leader on my lastt 5 or 6 trips.

Lots of factors contribute - current - at Hurricane especially. If the current isnt pulling in the right direction, dependent on where your anchor is - nothing is going to help. If the current is screaming - I dont think it matters. Bait is going to get away from the boat.

Same can be said on the lower banks - current - you can flyline anything and get it away from the boat.

Never had much luck flyling with a trap rig - If the bait sucks and there is no current I am doing something else - chunking, sinker rig, balloon, big bait.
    Important perspective!

(Thanks Prof. N)

[PSS: Sorry to hear your not on the Ultra 23.]

Upvote 0