jkfish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 13, 2006
san diego
Name
john
Boat
ponga 18'
[FONT=&quot]In early May, after the Qualifier 105 had nearly completed its annual maintenance, we discovered a problem with a fuel tank. The problem is non-structural but unfortunately, given its location, it will be expensive to assemble the necessary materials, labor, and finances to resolve the situation. Therefore, we were forced to make a temporary repair and put the Q back in the water while we developed a plan for a permanent fix. Due to these repair challenges, the Qualifier had cancelled all trips leaving prior to August 20<sup>th</sup>. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]During the last two weeks I have re evaluated the position I find the Qualifier 105 organization to be in and have concluded that the Qualifier 105 operation can not continue during the 2012 season. I wanted to talk to passengers individually on a more personal level but I now realize that it has taken too long to communicate directly with each passenger. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Our passengers' primary concerns involve trip deposits. I want to assure everyone that once we understood the magnitude of the problem, the Qualifier organization stopped taking new reservations and ceased cashing any deposit checks held or received by the company. We would like to be in a position to return deposits immediately to everyone who requests a refund, however, the Qualifier does not have the cash to refund all deposits immediately. We are working to resolve the deposit situation for all passengers on cancelled trips. Unfortunately, it may take some time to work through this problem. We apologize for this situation and are working diligently to resolve it. To learn more about deposits options please see the Qualifier web site at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.qualifier105.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
As a friend of most of the Qualifier’s anglers, I understand the frustration and disappointment this situation has caused. The Qualifier has been the central part of my life for decades. I have always worked hard to ensure that the Qualifier meets the needs of its passengers and provides a quality fishing experience for every angler. Unfortunately, the recent problems have created an enormous challenge. The Qualifier organization is working diligently to craft a way that minimizes the impacts this situation will have on all the Q’s customers with deposits. Please be patient and I will keep you informed on the website as soon as I have additional information.

I appreciate the Sportfishing Forums however it can be a tough playground. I will be focusing my time attempting to resolve problems rather than engaging the many responses this post may generate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
John Klein[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]President, Qualifier 105 Sportfishing, Inc.[/FONT]

strackle99

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Good Luck!!! I hope all involved can find an amicable resolution... Classy

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2006
Ventura
Name
Fred
Boat
Poopshoot
Yeah,you know what,even though I've never met you or fished the Q,I respect you for the fact you had the balls to come on here and speak your piece John.It is a tough playground and you didnt have too.I hope it works out for everyone too!

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Yeah,you know what,even though I've never met you or fished the Q,I respect you for the fact you had the balls to come on here and speak your piece John.It is a tough playground and you didnt have too.I hope it works out for everyone too!
I offer a second to this comment. :appl:

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
I've spent many days on the Q. From Rodney to Brian to joe. I have made lifetime memories and friends.

Good luck to John and the people affected.

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat
Longrange
Shitty situation for you John. Good on you for even sharing this with the public. I am sure there is more going on then anyone can realize. Good luck to you and I hope to see you in long range soon! Thanks for the report.

chasingtuna

Tuna time!
Aug 26, 2009
Redondo
Name
Steve
Boat
Wishing for one, Not!
John,

Tough situation, given this economy. Kudo's on your post.

Best of luck to you getting the Q running again.

etwizard

Mar 29, 2004
No California
Name
solomon
Boat
Free 4 All
Good luck to you John. We've fished together many years and you were always a good man and straight shooter. I wish you well and thank you for your candor.
Hope to fish with you again one day.

Solomon

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
why? how long did it take him to say anything? this is a little late don't ya think? a phone and a pass. list and he could have talked to all involed, just sayin.........

ebnash

Apr 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
Name
Erik Nash
Boat
None
Just plain bad business

Its hard to find people who will do repairs and maintenance on your boat when you don't pay your bills...

This post is probably too little, too late

fishrman

Pura Vida!
Feb 25, 2008
Ventura County, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
none
I agree that he should have made a much better attempt to communicate with ALL of those affected by this situation. It seems as if he's trying to minimize the damage way too late! A day late and many dollars short! Good luck to everyone involved in this mess.

spike

Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
Times are tough, and what's happened has happened, there is no changing that. JK, you have helped me over the years which I have always appreciated, and I am willing to help you in anyway necessary with in my means. Thank you for many years of fun aboard the finest riding platform in the fleet. I hope the best for all parties involed. I'll see you soon.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Best of luck to you John, as others have stated I made a lot of good friends including yourself and learned pretty much everything I know about LR on the Q. It's been quite a few years since I rode on her, but those are the best times I ever had fishing, hope you can get 'er back online.

Ol Pedro

May 11, 2007
New Egypt , N.J.
Name
Pete
Boat
90' Gambler
John , the last trip I sailed on out of San Diego was on The Q . We had just got jerked around by another boat and pushed off their Manifest even though we had paid in full weeks in advance . We were not told until we went in the office that night . You took us on your limited load trip 10 minutes before departure and didn't even charge us the difference . You even gave my Son a poster . It was the best trip that we ever had together . We hope that things will get worked out to everyone's satisfaction and the Q will sail again soon .

NachoOne

Not your normal Nachos
May 8, 2009
So Cal., CA. USA
Name
Nacho
Boat
Long Gone
Funny how in 4 hours John response after this last post:
<table id="post2773023" class="tborder vbseo_like_postbit" border="0" cellSpacing="1" cellPadding="12" width="100%" align="center"><tbody><tr><td class="thead">
Yesterday, 11:53 AM

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding: 0px;" class="alt2"><table border="0" cellSpacing="6" cellPadding="10" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td noWrap="nowrap"> NachoOne
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2773023", true); </script>
Not your normal Nachos

Name: Nacho

Vessel: 2 by 4, row boat, Please never sink

Job:retired

</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td vAlign="top" noWrap="nowrap"></td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td id="td_post_2773023" class="alt1"> OK, that was my last post until I got too many PMs/Emails on asking about San Deigo small claims court: Go to this page!

http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/portal/pag...ema=PORTAL&a=1

and now this thread is closed.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/san-diego-range-fishing/437449-q105-screws-turn.html

To be clear, I will not give in trying to get my deposit back in full nor addressing how our depoists are protected by the boats nor the landings.

However, I want to thank John for speaking up.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

joelocalguy

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 19, 2010
California
Name
joe johnson
Boat
none
Funny how in 4 hours John response after this last post:
<table id="post2773023" class="tborder vbseo_like_postbit" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="12" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead">
Yesterday, 11:53 AM

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding: 0px;" class="alt2"><table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="6" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> NachoOne
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2773023", true); </script>
Not your normal Nachos

Name: Nacho

Vessel: 2 by 4, row boat, Please never sink

Job:retired

</td> <td width="100%">
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td id="td_post_2773023" class="alt1"> OK, that was my last post until I got too many PMs/Emails on asking about San Deigo small claims court: Go to this page!

http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/portal/pag...ema=PORTAL&a=1

and now this thread is closed.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/san-diego-range-fishing/437449-q105-screws-turn.html

To be clear, I will not give in trying to get my deposit back in full nor addressing how our depoists are protected by the boats nor the landinds.

However, I want to thank John for speaking up.

As the old saying goes "Burn me once, shame on you......."
Unfortunately there is a big money problem here. Not only is there no $ for the deposits, it looks like there are no $ for repairs.
So how does he make it "right" with the the people who were wronged? And what can he do to make people willing to put $ out for a deposit if he gets it fixed?
For those of you who still have $ to be returned to, after small claims court and no $ back, can you do a lien on the boat? That way if it is sold, you will get your $ out of the sale.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
As the old saying goes "Burn me once, shame on you......."
Unfortunately there is a big money problem here. Not only is there no $ for the deposits, it looks like there are no $ for repairs.
So how does he make it "right" with the the people who were wronged? And what can he do to make people willing to put $ out for a deposit if he gets it fixed?
For those of you who still have $ to be returned to, after small claims court and no $ back, can you do a lien on the boat? That way if it is sold, you will get your $ out of the sale.
You could file a lawsuit, get a judgement and place a lien on the boat, but undoubtedly there are already many secured creditors ahead them on the boat.

The depositors are unsecured creditors to an obviously insolvent entity. It would take a number of depositors to force an involuntary bankruptcy. The cost of doing so is probably not worth the recovery.

If LoPreste is indeed 50% owner of the boat (don't know the form of organization), he is your likely white knight. Numerous scenarios could come out of that arrangement, most being LoPreste becoming the sole owner (been done before). The most near term solution could come in the form of allowing the deposits to be applied to other LoPreste boats, which I assume are hungry for passengers.

All in all, not a good situation, but I think they will come up with a macro solution in order to preserve credibility and good faith for the landing amongst their clientele. Given the economic environment, I suspect that this is just the first of several implosions in the industry.

LagunaTuna

Jun 1, 2012
Laguna Niguel
Name
Skip
Boat
Excel - Red Rooster - Reel Time
Wonder who legally makes up the Qualifier 105 "organization"? And has the organization secured any new business loans yet or are they waiting for the boat to sell as advertised or perhaps to clear themselves financially in BK court?

So I guess some of the really good "friends" of the organization and a few of the "super squeaky wheel anglers" got their deposits back as reported by them here on BD, but for many others only time will tell. Sorry, but this still smells real shity to me as in angler's deposit monies were at risk from day one, and their deposit monies were used inappropreiately by the Q organization, and we have still not heard anything from the landing in charge here regarding angler's deposit money refunds for cancelled trips, wonder if the landing is still collecting their dock/slip fees from the Q organization?

Long range anglers, for the good of all SD sportfishing patrons please request that your deposit monies be kept in a secure account when booking future fishing trips, and don't be afraid to ask where your deposit money is going, and pay only with a credit card that has some kind of consumer protection included, otherwise your deposit money will be at risk, plain & simple! Don't allow this BS to happen ever again, take action with your wallet instead of continuing to purchase blind with emotion and relying on an antiquated "honor system" that allows for a false pretense that thousands of your deposit dollars are safe in the hands of your favorite long range operator, aka: your "friend". Business is business so its time to wake up and smell reality here.

Good business is always a "two way street" with full disclosure in writing up front, then prompt communication and specific performance per contract if bad shit does go down (accidently or otherwise). Be smart, don't set yourself up for the kill, protect your deposit money as best you can.

When I see that Nacho and the other anglers who have posted their personal stakes in this Q deposit scam have stated here on BD that they got their entire deposit monies back then I will cut Mr. Klein some slack, until then he gets zero respect from this long range angler. And if my deposit monies were still in question, I would certainly not be holding my breath either waiting for a resolve that revolves around Mr. Klein's time line.

I have more trust in the reporting from folks like Nacho and the other anglers who have their deposit money at stake here then I do with the reporting from Mr. Klein or the SD landing that is involved in this bad business dealing. Talk is cheap, it's performance that counts most. So far just a bunch of promises have been made with no real financial facts or future financial game plan disclosed. And worse yet IMO, not a single SD long range operation stepping up here and assuring anglers in writing that their deposit monies are safe, protected and insured since this Q incident effecting numerous anglers was exposed and became public with news now out on the street.

Well respected and liked Bernie Madoff had lots of "friends" doing business with him too, some of them politicians, some were major movie producers, some large portfolio investors, and many other people in real high places who trusted him with millions of their dollars while he operated his Ponzi scheme investment business while flying under the government's radar, basically using other folks money to fuel his major league scam, and he had no problem making financial promises and collecting peoples money when he knew eventually it would catch up with him, unfortunately billions were lost by thousands of people that trusted him with their life savings before he was caught, so many learned the real hard way that what you see on the surface is not always what happens behind closed doors, and just because many others who appear to be rather smart and calculating types are buying in semi blind and are doing so in mass does not make it legit, safe or smart business when it comes to YOUR money. Madoff is in prison now where he belongs, the government has seized most of his assets, and a whole bunch of good people including "friends" got gaffed financially.

Fool us once shame on you, fool us twice shame on us!

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
I understand that a lot of people are very upset, but personal attacks and accusations will not be tolerated. The original poster has the same protection of the BD Outdoors rules as the rest of us.

Attacks will be deleted. Repeat offenders will receive infractions. Infractions eventually lead to time-out or outright banning.

Your comments are welcome, accusations and attacks are not.

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
I find no glory in JK just now posting this letter ONLY after the people in the Long Range community beat the crap out of him verbally on the boards, and exposed this horrible situation now for months.

Now, if in fact it is true, that LoPreste owns 50% of that Vessel, PEOPLE WAKE UP! There are your deep pockets for reimbursement. Never attack the dead horse, rather attack that which has the money and the thriving business still alive and kicking.

I suggest forming a group, and speaking with a Lawyer in San Diego in depth about this case. As a whole, your expenses will be minimal as you ALL pool the Legal fees as a group, divided by the number of you involved. The Law Firm will have the records access at their finger tips, in the office to search the CA. records data bases to see if in fact they have signed agreements.

If this is in fact the case and LoPreste is 50% share holder in the Q105, then there is your recourse of action. And as such, he owns numerous vessels, the landing, the lot, the grounds, etc.....he is NOT insolvent and has the cash in liquid assets to refund your losses.

BUT REMEMBER....THIS HAS BEEN POSTED ONLY AS A HYPOTHETICAL THAT LOPRESTE IS CO-OWNER. Do you due diligence.

Good luck to you all. I feel terrible that anyone gets burned by an operation like this. But, I am disgusted by the fact that JK waited so long to post in here, as an apologetic reply to what has been lingering for so many months....To Little to late. As a person who works part time for my Lawyer Wife, I see this as something a defense Lawyer would advise his client to do as a show of Goodwill towards the Courts and any future Jury.

NachoOne

Not your normal Nachos
May 8, 2009
So Cal., CA. USA
Name
Nacho
Boat
Long Gone
Did anyone actually get their Q105 deposit money back? Or did anyone get full credit for their Q105 deposit to get on another long range boat? Not that I am aware of of. If you did get your money back or given full Q105 deposit credit to jump on another boat, stand up and defend John K and the Q.
Now as for the business practice of protecting our long range fishing deposits, has any landing stood up to protect their clients/custmers' deposits??
By being silence, each landing is approving of this business model. Not a way to gain new long range fisherman or fisherwomen.

NachoOne

Not your normal Nachos
May 8, 2009
So Cal., CA. USA
Name
Nacho
Boat
Long Gone
<table id="post2774352" class="tborder vbseo_like_postbit" border="0" cellSpacing="1" cellPadding="12" width="100%" align="center"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 0px;" class="alt2"><table border="0" cellSpacing="6" cellPadding="10" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2"></td> <td noWrap="nowrap"> Smudge
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2774352", true); </script>
Moderate

Name: Matt

Vessel: I'm just a 1/2 day deckhand...

Job:USN/Deckhand on the Daily Double

</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td vAlign="top" noWrap="nowrap"> Images: 257
</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td id="td_post_2774352" class="alt1"> I understand that a lot of people are very upset, but personal attacks and accusations will not be tolerated. The original poster has the same protection of the BD Outdoors rules as the rest of us.

Attacks will be deleted. Repeat offenders will receive infractions. Infractions eventually lead to time-out or outright banning.

The personal attacks are over with, proper legal action is being taken!

" Your comments are welcome, accusations and attacks are not. " Lets stay on track.

Thanks <table border="0" cellSpacing="6" cellPadding="10" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2">http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/members/smudge.html</td> <td noWrap="nowrap"></td></tr></tbody></table>

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I find no glory in JK just now posting this letter ONLY after the people in the Long Range community beat the crap out of him verbally on the boards, and exposed this horrible situation now for months.

Now, if in fact it is true, that LoPreste owns 50% of that Vessel, PEOPLE WAKE UP! There are your deep pockets for reimbursement. Never attack the dead horse, rather attack that which has the money and the thriving business still alive and kicking.

I suggest forming a group, and speaking with a Lawyer in San Diego in depth about this case. As a whole, your expenses will be minimal as you ALL pool the Legal fees as a group, divided by the number of you involved. The Law Firm will have the records access at their finger tips, in the office to search the CA. records data bases to see if in fact they have signed agreements.

If this is in fact the case and LoPreste is 50% share holder in the Q105, then there is your recourse of action. And as such, he owns numerous vessels, the landing, the lot, the grounds, etc.....he is NOT insolvent and has the cash in liquid assets to refund your losses.

BUT REMEMBER....THIS HAS BEEN POSTED ONLY AS A HYPOTHETICAL THAT LOPRESTE IS CO-OWNER. Do you due diligence.

Good luck to you all. I feel terrible that anyone gets burned by an operation like this. But, I am disgusted by the fact that JK waited so long to post in here, as an apologetic reply to what has been lingering for so many months....To Little to late. As a person who works part time for my Lawyer Wife, I see this as something a defense Lawyer would advise his client to do as a show of Goodwill towards the Courts and any future Jury.
It all depends on the form of organization and LoPreste's purported exposure in it (if he is). If LoPreste does have ownership in the Q organization, like any smart businessman he's isolated it to that so that his other assets would not be exposed. This is common legal structuring and formation in business. For the lay person it all looks like one big pie and you just go after the Big Kahuna, but legally it probably will not work that way. Reputationally, it's all one pie and the advice to collectively approach a purported solvent owner for a resolution is good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.