wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
Excel
Just needed to be in my therapy safe space this morning with my favorite junkies here.

Working in the firearm industry, I knew years ago when I got into this shit that my OCD could drive me deep into the weeds....as it does with guns. The same goes for any of my hobbies, like old VWs and hunting.....easy to get deep deep into it, especially when you love doing something so much.

Through my 3, 8, 10 and 16s day trips, I FINALLY had my rods and reels figured out. 9 rigs as I travel to CA...yep...every variable checked...all facets covered....finally....sanity. Hooks, wind-ons, other terminal rigging....yup....I'm there...finally. That was...until the Excel stopped for Bluefin after last year's 10 day Alijos Special.

Being an novice at jigging, I only had flat falls and fished them without success on the drop. My buddy and I were on the bow and decided to rip them up through the column and boom....2 on the deck that night at #109 and #133. With a 3.5 day coming up in a few weeks and 3 trips next year, I figured, let me get some basic jigs set up.....yeah right.

Searched through BD about buying, rigging, setting up jigs. Oh and let's not forget the type. Look at this review...flatfalls are the only things that works. Glow on this trip...fvck glow on the next. Wait what...oh shit...gotta get Katy Perry or I'm outta luck. Look at that review...flat falls suck and I gotta go with SKs...but now they're sold out everywhere....whew...found some. As my WhatsApp goes off, Renee from the Excel tells me fvck everything and grab the new Mustad Rip Rollers....THEY ARE THE HOT FIRE. Here we go again. Just when I thought I had it figured out, let's get into brazing vs split rings. Got a kit and brazed away....finally done. Nope, factory assist hooks suck so let's make our own...on it...done. Wait....bottom Jobu or not. Oh my...bridled jigs...let me dig into that now, Let's search on BD. Yes...no...always...never.....FML.

So now I have a box filled with every jig imaginable, single and double assists....Kevlar and SIC spectra....bottom and naked jigs...brazed rings...the box weighs 384lbs and I've hired a sherpa just to get it to the red shirts.

Sipping my coffee, my fingers tremble as I clicky the BD search bar 1....last....time. "So and so on the (insert boat name) just caught 6 cows using a 113 Senator, full mono, on a rod his great grandfather gave him when he was 6, 250g jig from Aliexpress using freshwater splitrings and yarn assist hooks". That's it....I'm getting a prescription to Xanax and calling my jigs good.....sigh.

3 weeks til I pack up the truck and head west....I wouldn't trade this for anything.....it's way too much fun.

Thanks guys for letting me vent......I feel better already.

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
I think this is no different than most dudes getting ready! I know it’s my ritual. It keeps you stoked for days beforehand! Fish on! Gl

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I haven’t tried them but I hear great things about those new chewables out there in certain stores……..

I’m in the same boat looking at a 6 day that leaves on 8/1. I’ve stayed away from going off the deep end on jigs and hooks etc. I have a couple flat falls and a bunch of the old school Salas and Tady single hook heavies that I’m sure will work just fine.

I have to stop at Ken’s to pick up a couple reels on the way down as always and will see what he has to say and for me. A friend just got a 202lb on the AA on a flat fall.

Great Post though, when you’re done with your Sherpa can I borrow him?

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    I have no idea what you are talking about....

IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4466.jpg
    IMG_4471.jpg

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Maybe you should switch from the firearms business to the ever evolving lure business. What is hot one week is not the next.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I think that you are good to go. The EXCEL now has a policy of weighing your tackle box as it comes aboard, and if it is less than 200 pounds there is an automatic charge of $100 for using the boat's lures, which you obviously lack. But at 384 pounds of tackle you should be OK.

Upvote 0

Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    Smiling ear to ear
    Uncontrollable laughter in my head with sounds of drag ripping

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Just needed to be in my therapy safe space this morning with my favorite junkies here.

Working in the firearm industry, I knew years ago when I got into this shit that my OCD could drive me deep into the weeds....as it does with guns. The same goes for any of my hobbies, like old VWs and hunting.....easy to get deep deep into it, especially when you love doing something so much.

Through my 3, 8, 10 and 16s day trips, I FINALLY had my rods and reels figured out. 9 rigs as I travel to CA...yep...every variable checked...all facets covered....finally....sanity. Hooks, wind-ons, other terminal rigging....yup....I'm there...finally. That was...until the Excel stopped for Bluefin after last year's 10 day Alijos Special.

Being an novice at jigging, I only had flat falls and fished them without success on the drop. My buddy and I were on the bow and decided to rip them up through the column and boom....2 on the deck that night at #109 and #133. With a 3.5 day coming up in a few weeks and 3 trips next year, I figured, let me get some basic jigs set up.....yeah right.

Searched through BD about buying, rigging, setting up jigs. Oh and let's not forget the type. Look at this review...flatfalls are the only things that works. Glow on this trip...fvck glow on the next. Wait what...oh shit...gotta get Katy Perry or I'm outta luck. Look at that review...flat falls suck and I gotta go with SKs...but now they're sold out everywhere....whew...found some. As my WhatsApp goes off, Renee from the Excel tells me fvck everything and grab the new Mustad Rip Rollers....THEY ARE THE HOT FIRE. Here we go again. Just when I thought I had it figured out, let's get into brazing vs split rings. Got a kit and brazed away....finally done. Nope, factory assist hooks suck so let's make our own...on it...done. Wait....bottom Jobu or not. Oh my...bridled jigs...let me dig into that now, Let's search on BD. Yes...no...always...never.....FML.

So now I have a box filled with every jig imaginable, single and double assists....Kevlar and SIC spectra....bottom and naked jigs...brazed rings...the box weighs 384lbs and I've hired a sherpa just to get it to the red shirts.

Sipping my coffee, my fingers tremble as I clicky the BD search bar 1....last....time. "So and so on the (insert boat name) just caught 6 cows using a 113 Senator, full mono, on a rod his great grandfather gave him when he was 6, 250g jig from Aliexpress using freshwater splitrings and yarn assist hooks". That's it....I'm getting a prescription to Xanax and calling my jigs good.....sigh.

3 weeks til I pack up the truck and head west....I wouldn't trade this for anything.....it's way too much fun.

Thanks guys for letting me vent......I feel better already.
    Fucking junkie.

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Guys, collecting lures is not like collecting stamps! They don’t increase in value!

They end up in garage sales for 10 cents to the dollar! Let me know when and where you are holding one! lol

Reactions: Rubberhook2
    Upvote 0

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    If doing this hobby gives you an anxiety attack..I think your'e doing it wrong.
    I think it’s the opposite I only get wound up about things I really love to do. The weeks and weeks of prep and organizing and getting gear ready wondering if you are bringing the right stuff. Then once that rod bends and he starts ripping line off the reel it all goes away.no worries no bills to pay no work bullshit it’s just you and the fish and once he hits the deck all the work was worth it

Reactions: Rubberhook2
    Upvote 0