Friday May 29 Offshore - That's more like it.

Kingfisher

Kingfisher
Oct 11, 2004
SD
Name
scott
Boat
Intrepid 300 CC
Appreciate the details, always good to pick up another piece of learning to chew on.

jayyyy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Thats how its done right there.....catching fish and writing about it.

Reactions: jochi

Mr. lucky

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 17, 2004
Poway
Name
Jason Gutzmer
Boat
La Rana
Great stuff. Always fun when you can put a few pieces of the puzzle together and make a trip.

Charles Fike

Apr 13, 2019
Newbury Park
Name
Charles Fike
Boat
24’ Skipjack Flybridge (Bella B)
Great report Ali, thanks for the education. Can never stop learning in this game.

Mystic Knight

Apr 17, 2015
Name
Daniel
Boat
None at Present
A great read, truly inspirational and instructive. Thanks for the Local Knowledge!

MikeC92109

Weekend Warrior
Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
"Twin Seas"
Question: when you guys all say chumming to bring them up, are you bailing bait or dropping over cut bait?

We have just been bailing net fulls of bait every minute or two, not cut up chum.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Awesome Ali!

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Ali, thanks for the tackle & tactics tutorial!:appl:
Has anyone hooked up using a downrigger?
Marco
Not many guys doing it. I know fish have been caught doing it. Try it and report back.

Question: when you guys all say chumming to bring them up, are you bailing bait or dropping over cut bait?

We have just been bailing net fulls of bait every minute or two, not cut up chum.
This year the live bait really fires them up. Never had much luck with it in years past. We've been throwing a few scoops to keep them around and fired up and also fishing live bait.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream 232
DAMN!!!! That fucking yellow is huge!!!! Nice job Ali!!!! I want that type of moss back off Clemente this year hopefully. Nice job Ali!! Your trip was insane!

HawkBlocker

Jun 24, 2019
Mission Viejo CA
Name
Wade
Boat
ReelNice
Ali-
When rigging the Nomad for trolling like you were, 8-12 knots I would guess, do you go braid to topshot to Nomad? Or braid to short leader to nomad? And what lb leader/topshot would you run at that speed? I'm intrigued to try it. Thanks in advance.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Ali-
When rigging the Nomad for trolling like you were, 8-12 knots I would guess, do you go braid to topshot to Nomad? Or braid to short leader to nomad? And what lb leader/topshot would you run at that speed? I'm intrigued to try it. Thanks in advance.
We tied it a 30' shot of 80# Seaguar Fluoro.

Good luck.

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
It looks like you changed the hooks out on the nomad. Are the 6/0 Owner inline hooks?

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
It was a 165 in Sardine pattern. I wouldn't hesitate to troll a bigger one just to get deeper either.

Good luck.
Never mind - I just read the answer..
- We got a smaller model bluefin on the DTX this Sunday while skipping the yummy..
Horrible weather

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
It looks like you changed the hooks out on the nomad. Are the 6/0 Owner inline hooks?
No sir. We NEVER change the hooks out on the Nomad. That's the beauty of them. They hooks and rings are SUPER strong.

Reactions: msterallenn

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Your living the dream, and im just happy for you and crew. Thanks for sharing.

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
100% Professional report right there Amigo! Thanks for the tips.

coacheric

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 13, 2008
Santee
Name
Eric Austin
Boat
19' Hydra Sport (salt)/22' Bayliner (fresh)
Thank you for all of the information you shared.
Congratulations on a great day with an old friend!

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
Thanks for the report Ali! I grew up fishing in Florida and started fishing again in 2016 here in San Diego. So many different techniques in Florida especially where in the state your fishing, but versatility is key like you were doing!

I've only been out on sport boats since fishing in SD all except one time and have the opportunity to fish any day now with a friend of a friend on a nice 36' sport fisher. Your shows and tutorials have me pumped to get out there with him and get back to fishing on a proper private boat using all the techniques you listed.

One of the questions on my mind you answered was "what are the fish reacting or responding to differently this year?" Every year has been different! One question I do have for you, is you mentioned Seaguar Gold 60# flouro....is that a new product coming out? I thought they were only doing up to 40#...if so that's great!