Friday May 29 Offshore - That's more like it.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
(I thought for this report I'd do a walk through of what I do to catch these things. Thought it might help some of you guys. )

Saw the bad weather coming on the weekend and had a pretty shitty week so I made the last minute call to go chase BFT nearby.

Had a great crew of Nick, Dave, Shawn and Jake.

Off we went out west of the 302/230. I wasn't alone in my thinking. A good dozen boats in a pretty small area.

First thing I want to do when I get into a new area is just look around. If I'm looking around on the BFT grounds I put the yummy up immediately. This way I'm still fishing while I figure it out.

Lately, we have been also running a cedar plug WAY back and a DTX minnow 40 yards back. Primarily we are trying to pick up a few yellowfin but who knows.

Now that we are fishing, I begin "mowing the lawn". I'll stretch 2 or 3 tacks our so I get to look at 3 of 4 miles above and below my starting point. As I mark fish along the way, I drop waypoints on them making mental notes of how deep they are. If I find a good school and under 150' I'll stop and throw chum and put the dead flyer out. Drift with them for a bit and try to get a bite on the Nomad Buffalos also.

While mowing, we find a large paddy. I usually don't mess with them but we had EPIC bait and the boys wanted yt. Make a quick stop for a handful of hamachi with one really nice standout fish for Jake.

1591044207373.png

Back to mowing the lawn. Stop on a couple decent meter marks but no real meat. There was a lot of wolf packs running around and deep 150-200'. Anything deeper than 150' is going to be hard to get a bite.

We're trolling right along and the DTX goes off. I'm stoked because I wanted AHI for dinner. Jake pics it up and he's getting SMOKED on the Internation20. No Ahi here. He fights it for a minute and it comes unbuttoned. I grabbed the rod myself to make sure. I could feel the lure swimming sans fish. Bummer. Hand it to Jake and tell him to reel it in. He puts it in the rod holder and starts cranking. And...

The rod tip loads up and he's one again. I can't believe it. That's a new one for sure. Jake fights the fish for 40 min or so and we sink gaffs into a nice 125# class fish. This one was a gift and we'll take it. Jake has been my best friend and brother since we were 16. It was his first big tuna as he's just a casual fisherman. But his stoke was awesome. I love sharing that feeling with friends.

1591045454081.png

1591045418599.png

1591044416062.png

Then the mid day blues took over. We're skipping and trolling for a couple hours for nada. We get a few OK marks but nothing decent.

We set up on a few spots for nothing. Hours of this go one and we're just waiting for the meat to show up. A lot of times it's down REALLY deep and it's there, we just don't see it on our machines or it's milling around on the surface and we won't see it.

We finally get one spot to react to the chum. Old rabbits foot Jake hooks one in broad daylight on a Buffalo Jig from Nomad. It comes unbuttoned. He drops again and he's back on and getting smoked on the Penn 25 narrow. He fights the fish for 10 min or so and gets bit off. This is really strange. We've tried a million times and never hooked a fish on the Flat falls during the day.

We continued to work until about 6:30. Got a little spot at the south end of the zone. We set up on it. Again they will blow up on the chum, but not eat anything with a hook in it. We decide to drift it out as we are seeing little scraps here and there under the boat. at 7:30 I make the call to throw in the towel. We pull the dead flyer in and I get ready to take off.

All of the sudden the fish are PILED up under the boat from 80-250'. Full panic drill, chum, kite back out, flat falls down, surface baits out. Some blow ups, but no bites. Then I take another bait rod and rubber band a sinker on it and send it down. 5 minutes later and we are bit. Dave takes the rod at 7:40 pm and goes to work.

1591045226238.png

We had the fish hooked on a Mustad Demon Circle hook in 4/0 and 60# Seaguar Gold leader on a PENN 40NLD and a PENN Ally boat rod. We got the right gear for a midsize fish and I'm praying it's not a Cow. The fish was mean as hell and put up a great fight. I started to worry we hooked a jumbo.

After about an hour and 15 min of constantly backing the boat up (fish wanted the props bad like nothing I've ever seen) we get the fish boat side. Nice fish, but not huge. Maybe 140#. We gently spin the fish up due to the lighter leader and eventually insert gaffs into head, game over.

1591045265249.png

It's now close to 9pm and we have a 40 mile run home. Hell of a long night but totally worth it.

One thing I want to point out. This year we have good handful of big fish. Only one has come on the dead flyer and none on the Yummy. While I have been unlucky in getting bites, it's pretty clear that this year is different. These fish are eating trolled lures, eating metal jigs (nomads and colt snipers), blowing up on chum and eating hooked baits on 40-80#.

It's a very different year thus far and you need to be versatile and ready for anything.

We will be dragging DTX's now while skipping for sure. I'm also going to try a trolling trip and just drag DTXs, East Coast Spreader bars and Ballyhoo.

Try something different this year. It just might work.

Anyway, hope these tips help you guys out there.

DHSDave

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 17, 2007
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Grady-White 208 Adventure
Good stuff right there Ali, we are always learning and adapting to this fishery...

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Thanks for all that info Ali.
Much appreciated.
Hope to put it and my new ar$enal of tackle to good use here real soon.

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Great job gettin' your boys on some fish!

Cool shot of Jake who looks scurred. Beautiful shot of him afterwards.

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
Thanks for the report and all the good intel.

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Wow Ali thanks for the seminar it can't do anything but help us all catch fish!
Although you were 40 miles from home quit your bitching what did it take you 90 Minutes to the Dock

Thanks for the DETAILED Report!?

Reactions: Hugh Kollar

T-Bass

Jul 26, 2015
Socal
Name
Trevor
Boat
225 Aquasport Explorer
Good work and solid info. I plan on trying to fish a large ballyhoo with an islander or split tailed mullet behind a #8 planer, it may be the ticket this year for getting those deeper fish.

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Nice work . As always good to see you out on the pond.

Reactions: Ali

Sam Choi

May 28, 2014
Rancho Bernardo
Name
Samuel Choi
Boat
One Day
(I thought for this report I'd do a walk through of what I do to catch these things. Thought it might help some of you guys. )

Saw the bad weather coming on the weekend and had a pretty shitty week so I made the last minute call to go chase BFT nearby.

Had a great crew of Nick, Dave, Shawn and Jake.

Off we went out west of the 302/230. I wasn't alone in my thinking. A good dozen boats in a pretty small area.

First thing I want to do when I get into a new area is just look around. If I'm looking around on the BFT grounds I put the yummy up immediately. This way I'm still fishing while I figure it out.

Lately, we have been also running a cedar plug WAY back and a DTX minnow 40 yards back. Primarily we are trying to pick up a few yellowfin but who knows.

Now that we are fishing, I begin "mowing the lawn". I'll stretch 2 or 3 tacks our so I get to look at 3 of 4 miles above and below my starting point. As I mark fish along the way, I drop waypoints on them making mental notes of how deep they are. If I find a good school and under 150' I'll stop and throw chum and put the dead flyer out. Drift with them for a bit and try to get a bite on the Nomad Buffalos also.

While mowing, we find a large paddy. I usually don't mess with them but we had EPIC bait and the boys wanted yt. Make a quick stop for a handful of hamachi with one really nice standout fish for Jake.

View attachment 1151377

Back to mowing the lawn. Stop on a couple decent meter marks but no real meat. There was a lot of wolf packs running around and deep 150-200'. Anything deeper than 150' is going to be hard to get a bite.

We're trolling right along and the DTX goes off. I'm stoked because I wanted AHI for dinner. Jake pics it up and he's getting SMOKED on the Internation20. No Ahi here. He fights it for a minute and it comes unbuttoned. I grabbed the rod myself to make sure. I could feel the lure swimming sans fish. Bummer. Hand it to Jake and tell him to reel it in. He puts it in the rod holder and starts cranking. And...

The rod tip loads up and he's one again. I can't believe it. That's a new one for sure. Jake fights the fish for 40 min or so and we sink gaffs into a nice 125# class fish. This one was a gift and we'll take it. Jake has been my best friend and brother since we were 16. It was his first big tuna as he's just a casual fisherman. But his stoke was awesome. I love sharing that feeling with friends.

View attachment 1151382

View attachment 1151381

View attachment 1151378

Then the mid day blues took over. We're skipping and trolling for a couple hours for nada. We get a few OK marks but nothing decent.

We set up on a few spots for nothing. Hours of this go one and we're just waiting for the meat to show up. A lot of times it's down REALLY deep and it's there, we just don't see it on our machines or it's milling around on the surface and we won't see it.

We finally get one spot to react to the chum. Old rabbits foot Jake hooks one in broad daylight on a Buffalo Jig from Nomad. It comes unbuttoned. He drops again and he's back on and getting smoked on the Penn 25 narrow. He fights the fish for 10 min or so and gets bit off. This is really strange. We've tried a million times and never hooked a fish on the Flat falls during the day.

We continued to work until about 6:30. Got a little spot at the south end of the zone. We set up on it. Again they will blow up on the chum, but not eat anything with a hook in it. We decide to drift it out as we are seeing little scraps here and there under the boat. at 7:30 I make the call to throw in the towel. We pull the dead flyer in and I get ready to take off.

All of the sudden the fish are PILED up under the boat from 80-250'. Full panic drill, chum, kite back out, flat falls down, surface baits out. Some blow ups, but no bites. Then I take another bait rod and rubber band a sinker on it and send it down. 5 minutes later and we are bit. Dave takes the rod at 7:40 pm and goes to work.

View attachment 1151379

We had the fish hooked on a Mustad Demon Circle hook in 4/0 and 60# Seaguar Gold leader on a PENN 40NLD and a PENN Ally boat rod. We got the right gear for a midsize fish and I'm praying it's not a Cow. The fish was mean as hell and put up a great fight. I started to worry we hooked a jumbo.

After about an hour and 15 min of constantly backing the boat up (fish wanted the props bad like nothing I've ever seen) we get the fish boat side. Nice fish, but not huge. Maybe 140#. We gently spin the fish up due to the lighter leader and eventually insert gaffs into head, game over.

View attachment 1151380

It's now close to 9pm and we have a 40 mile run home. Hell of a long night but totally worth it.

One thing I want to point out. This year we have good handful of big fish. Only one has come on the dead flyer and none on the Yummy. While I have been unlucky in getting bites, it's pretty clear that this year is different. These fish are eating trolled lures, eating metal jigs (nomads and colt snipers), blowing up on chum and eating hooked baits on 40-80#.

It's a very different year thus far and you need to be versatile and ready for anything.

We will be dragging DTX's now while skipping for sure. I'm also going to try a trolling trip and just drag DTXs, East Coast Spreader bars and Ballyhoo.

Try something different this year. It just might work.

Anyway, hope these tips help you guys out there.
Hey ali. Whats size nomad minnow do you use?

Reactions: yellowklr

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
Great report!! Thank you!

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Tree
Boat
iWish
Bummer to hear your friends made you stop on that paddy! haha way to get em.

HUTLOC

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 17, 2008
MALIBU
Name
JAMIE
Boat
WOOLEY
Man im so stoked to read your report! Good job and remembering youre doing this with your best buddy!

queenfish

Nov 21, 2003
OB
Name
mark
Boat
19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
My favorite line was, "we then inserted the gaffs".

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
You're an animal Ali. :appl: