PENN

gobarbless

Nov 27, 2010
United States
Name
Dale
Boat
hopeful 2019
Short version: 26 anglers landed 77 yellow and bluefin tuna up to 45 pounds, 4 dorado for extra cool. I had 10 hookups, landed 7, 3 BF/3YF and one dorado.

Long version:
My buddy Tony does a charter on the Fury every Friday during the summer so this trip was planned back in January. The previous weeks have been very good to great YT fishing at Catalina. This trip was our first overnighter of 2015 and we normally go to SCI, which as well all know has been very good for quite a while.

We all met at the usual 9pm boarding time and loaded up. Capt Rick, who is an awesome fisherman, told us we has a decision to make. Based on reports coming in and the fact the BF and YF were close we could opt for rolling the dice and heading 12 miles southeast and look for tuna with the expected rush of friday boats, and maybe put some tuna on the boat or do SCI for the "sure' thing. Ultimately it came down to a vote, 13-13 splito_O. So we flipped a coin and tuna won. Awesome, that was my choice since I already had 11 YT up to 28lbs this summer. I also had just go an email from Lia at Newport Landing with pictures that the Patriot had take some large BF put to 75 lbs.

So, Rick putts out to the spot and we get there about 1am and just float since he is confident no fish will be caught until we have some light.

I am always anxious to fish so I did not sleep much and got out of the bunk at 4am just to be ready. When I go out on deck there are small chovies jumping everywhere, pretty cool to see.

Finally about 515 there still is not much light but a few of us can't stand it any longer so bait up and off we go. 10 minutes later it's game on, 3 of us are hooked up and I have my first BF of the year, about 25 lbs. By then all the sleepers are up and we have 5 to 6 on at a time. When the bite slows, about 8 or so we have about 30 or so BF on the boat. Time to eat by breakfast burrito. Rick says we are going to move, fires up the engines and then shuts them off because he says a huge school just moved back underneath the boat.

Bait up and game on again, but now the YF are with the BF. Never a WO bite but almost one hanging the entire time. I get my PB 42 lb YF and am stoked, BTW all the tuna were over 20 lbs easy.

Rick decides to move about 11am and heads slightly south about 2 miles and stops, game on again and now a few dorado show up, not big but fun to catch and fun to watch jump with all the colors lit up. I got 1, maybe 15 pounds.

As we are picking away at the tuna a tax collector shows up, off Oceanside!!! A ten to 12 foot hammerhead proceeds to pull up to the boat and take my buddies tuna at the boat and comes back and gets another tuna, one bite was all it took, and leaves! Cool but this is not Mexico!!

All in all we landed 77 tuna and lost better than 30 fish due to tight drags and broken lines. Most of the fish were caught on 20-30 lb line with floro leaders. Nice bait, not giant dines like we have had but perfect sized to throw.

I have been on the Fury many times and every time Rick is awesome as well as his crew, Marcus, Skip, Travis and Avery. They do everything right.

Here are a couple pictures, Tony with half the load laid out on the deck and then a picture of my catch with the large YF in the middle.

Go fishing if you can, does not get much better that this in so cal. Dale
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0231.jpg

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Sweet Report, thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Great report and information. How far out does your buddy have the Fury booked? Is it for a club that we can join?
    Thanks

Upvote 0

gobarbless

Nov 27, 2010
    United States
    Name
    Dale
    Boat
    hopeful 2019
    Short version: 26 anglers landed 77 yellow and bluefin tuna up to 45 pounds, 4 dorado for extra cool. I had 10 hookups, landed 7, 3 BF/3YF and one dorado.

Long version:
    My buddy Tony does a charter on the Fury every Friday during the summer so this trip was planned back in January. The previous weeks have been very good to great YT fishing at Catalina. This trip was our first overnighter of 2015 and we normally go to SCI, which as well all know has been very good for quite a while.

We all met at the usual 9pm boarding time and loaded up. Capt Rick, who is an awesome fisherman, told us we has a decision to make. Based on reports coming in and the fact the BF and YF were close we could opt for rolling the dice and heading 12 miles southeast and look for tuna with the expected rush of friday boats, and maybe put some tuna on the boat or do SCI for the "sure' thing. Ultimately it came down to a vote, 13-13 splito_O. So we flipped a coin and tuna won. Awesome, that was my choice since I already had 11 YT up to 28lbs this summer. I also had just go an email from Lia at Newport Landing with pictures that the Patriot had take some large BF put to 75 lbs.

So, Rick putts out to the spot and we get there about 1am and just float since he is confident no fish will be caught until we have some light.

I am always anxious to fish so I did not sleep much and got out of the bunk at 4am just to be ready. When I go out on deck there are small chovies jumping everywhere, pretty cool to see.

Finally about 515 there still is not much light but a few of us can't stand it any longer so bait up and off we go. 10 minutes later it's game on, 3 of us are hooked up and I have my first BF of the year, about 25 lbs. By then all the sleepers are up and we have 5 to 6 on at a time. When the bite slows, about 8 or so we have about 30 or so BF on the boat. Time to eat by breakfast burrito. Rick says we are going to move, fires up the engines and then shuts them off because he says a huge school just moved back underneath the boat.

Bait up and game on again, but now the YF are with the BF. Never a WO bite but almost one hanging the entire time. I get my PB 42 lb YF and am stoked, BTW all the tuna were over 20 lbs easy.

Rick decides to move about 11am and heads slightly south about 2 miles and stops, game on again and now a few dorado show up, not big but fun to catch and fun to watch jump with all the colors lit up. I got 1, maybe 15 pounds.

As we are picking away at the tuna a tax collector shows up, off Oceanside!!! A ten to 12 foot hammerhead proceeds to pull up to the boat and take my buddies tuna at the boat and comes back and gets another tuna, one bite was all it took, and leaves! Cool but this is not Mexico!!

All in all we landed 77 tuna and lost better than 30 fish due to tight drags and broken lines. Most of the fish were caught on 20-30 lb line with floro leaders. Nice bait, not giant dines like we have had but perfect sized to throw.

I have been on the Fury many times and every time Rick is awesome as well as his crew, Marcus, Skip, Travis and Avery. They do everything right.

Here are a couple pictures, Tony with half the load laid out on the deck and then a picture of my catch with the large YF in the middle.

Go fishing if you can, does not get much better that this in so cal. DaleView attachment 607228View attachment 607229

Upvote 0

gobarbless

Nov 27, 2010
    United States
    Name
    Dale
    Boat
    hopeful 2019
    I meant to add one more cool detail. When the fish were breaking and boiling on the surface I grabbed my pink Waxwing on 50lb braid and on the second cast, in front of a boil, I got hammered. Lots of full catching him on the bass rod, about a 20+ pounder, I know a picture would have been cool with the WW hanging out but I spaced and did not grad my phone, next time

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I checked out the Dana Wharf site. Do you think they may have the same schedule as the Facebook postings?

Upvote 0