kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat Name
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
launched late, dana point, at 10 am still a small line for bait. bait was good and he loaded us with alot of it. headed towards the 279. a couple small kelps in the area, most holding bait, but no life otherwise. made our way to the 277, plans was to work our way up the slide towards cat. never made it........while pulling up to an epic string of paddies, an alarm goes off. quick look at the gauges oil pressure is low. shut it down. we lift the engine cover to see a substantial amount of oil in the bilge. get on the radio and call for a tow. limits for 3 of heartache, despair, and sadness that our day was over. soaked baits and chunked waiting for TOWBOAT, with not even a sniff from anything other than gulls. there was an area at the 277 loaded with kelps and bait. even with the problems still got to hang with my daughter. good luck, hope this helps someone.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Cool report and info. Man that sucks. Good to shut it down and get the tow. Hope you and your daughter get back out soon. Wrong kind of limit this time.
    PS Friday was 9/23...LOL

Upvote 0

boxofrain

The lure of failure is irresistible
    Jul 6, 2007
    san Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Ed Schmitt
    Boat Name
    Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
    Glad it worked out. I have subjected my offspring to mechanical uncertainty on the high seas on more than one occasion. My children took to calling me Billie Tyne.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat Name
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    just an update. problem solved (on the hose at least) sea trail maybe friday?? i'm gonna swallow my pride and share my self inflicted problem with hopes it may help another...... well i had a killer motor built by a guy that did only performance engines. 383 stroker. changed my boat like you wouldn't believe, anyway thats been about 4 years ago i guess, and i,ve always hated the little oil misted puffs of air coating my spark arrestor and making it dirty. so after my previous trip out in july, in a fit of OCD over it i made a change. i ordered a PCV catch can, plumbed it in, mounted it, etc. well this catch can couldn't keep up with the volume of gases going in, so the excess pressure built up in the engine, which forced oil up the dipstick and out.
    good news is it seems all i did was cause a short trip, a huge oily mess in the bilge, and the stress of thinking i needed major engine work.
    bad news, i kicked myself in the nuts, bruised my ego a bit. i am certain that the sting of this event will sink away once i'm back on the water again.

Upvote 0