Fresh Water Cooling System Question

Feb 13, 2005
Cottonwood, ca
Name
JP Green
Boat
SkipJack-20 Skipjack-24
Are there any pdf downloads for running a Skipjack-24 fresh water cooling system and volvo penta 280 outdrive?

I've owned a 1968 Skipjack-20 open for years with a mercruiser model 1 drive and chevy 6, raw water system. I just bought a 1978 Skipjack-24 with Chevy 350, 280 Volvo Penta drive and closed fresh water cooling system and never had that system, so not familiar with the operation. Also, there's no lift on these Penta Drives?

I'm going to go through the whole boat and get the maintenance and mechanics up to speed and need info on the drive and fresh water system.

I just bought this boat for $1000. Runs great and fully operational, cosmetic fixer. Was to much boat for an older guy. Can't wait to dig in and get her fixed up.

Thanks much -Pat

My Skippy 24.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jaw1970
Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
2 Skipjack Sports Cruisers both under construction
There are several manufactures of fresh water cooling. I would imagine that you have what is called a half system. you most likely don't have an oil cooler, or the power steering cooler, so just adjust the below drawing
1623768383930.png

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

SilentViper

Fishing fiend
Aug 21, 2012
Buena Park
Name
Jimmy McGinness
Boat
1980 Skipjack 24 open
Volvo does not put impellers in their drives. Your impeller will be engine driven.
To that point, because the cooling system lines between the outdrive and crank driven pump are under vacuum/suction you could have a small air leak at a hose connection and air lock the pump and overheat the engine. You prob wont see drips at any loose/poor connections on the inlet side.

Reactions: ShelterCoveman
Upvote 0