Freelance Newport 3/4 day advice?

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by rmojica33, May 1, 2014.

1. rmojica33

rmojica33 Member

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Bought a couple of amazon local 1/2 off tickets and will be using them on Sunday.

Called in to book my reservation and it will be a full boat. Also was told that they extend the trip on the weekends to 12 hours, so with an $8 fuel surcharge and an additional $7 for the "extended weekend trip" it was an additional $31 for the two tickets... not a big deal, but those fuel surcharges and surprise "extensions" are a bit annoying. I've been checking the fish counts and it looks like they've been strictly fishing the bottom.

Anyone have tips or advice for me? Should I bring frozen squid? I'll be bringing the fiance on the trip and just want to reel a few up.

Cheers.

2. riceman1011

riceman1011 Newbie

Name:
    Jeffrey Tedmori
    Boat:
    30Ft Wellcraft Scarab Tournament CC "Paddy Rat"
    My tip is to wait until it is not a full boat and go on a weekend. With a full boat they will be strictly bottom fishing. I can't stand fishing with 90 people.

$0.02

hawkplayer32 and Heather Rae like this.
  3. magnus927

magnus927 Newbie

Name:
    Thai Lo
    Boat:
    na
    Patience is going to be the key and fish at the bow a lot less people

Good luck out there

4. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    The boat will have over 90 people on it. Even the bow will be crowded. My suggestion. Order a burger and sit back and watch the chaos

if1sh, willsurf02 and Heather Rae like this.
  5. rmojica33

rmojica33 Member

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    haha I love the positive attitudes... unfortunately with the amazon local deal being offered, every weekend for the foreseeable future will be slammed.

6. drumford

drumford gotta go babe!

Name:
    Dondo
    Boat:
    Cory's Rig
    THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GO WITH THE COUPON/GROUPON'S!!!!!!!! Don't make your fiance' sit through that shit!!! It will lead to never fishing together again................. or the "D" word!!!! TRUST US!!!!!!!!

if1sh and willsurf02 like this.
  7. luckyfisher7

luckyfisher7 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    18 whaler "Nishimaru"
    Don't do it. That sounds like a nightmare. Save your money and go to San Diego, or rent one of the bay skiffs out of Davey's Locker.

8. rmojica33

rmojica33 Member

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    haha fellas,doom gloom aside, it's booked. So any positive advice would be appreciated.

9. sitonmyface

sitonmyface SEXNOW

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Sportboat
    If they really put 90 people on that boat stay the eff away. Sounds like a shit show.

10. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    get there early and get in line, on the right side of the building with your gear ,then later one person go and get your boarding passes, then when you board go and put your rod,s in the stern first, and tying them with a rag to mark your spot leave your rag tyed up all day to keep your spot, when you go fore bait leave your rod at the rail, that,s how I do it , if your lucky the jack pot are good to get in to,

rmojica33 likes this.
  11. sand junky

sand junky Newbie

Name:
    sand junky
    Boat:
    17' Pro-Line cc
    just roll with the punches and don't take this trip too seriously...
    if they want you to buy squid... they'll prob let you know when you check in... i've never took-off from this landing (or ever go on a cattle boat with 90+ people) but the last time out of hell-grins (many moons ago)... that's the way they've operated.

good luck! have fun!

12. FOXINONE

FOXINONE Its Fishin Time

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    22' Striper
    All tangled lines and no space. Birds on hooks and seals taking bait doesn't sound like fun. Hope you and your fiancé catch some fish though.

13. stevefwolfe

stevefwolfe Member

Name:
    Wolf
    Boat:
    yes I have one
    Drink A LOT of beer and watch the show. :cheers:
    The fishing will be tough but the other people on board will provide some good entertainment.

Heather Rae and rmojica33 like this.
  14. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    wait for the second tangle before dropping your line

15. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    X2

16. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    Hes right dont put her in that mess she hate it ! put the trip off both of you arrange a day off mid week( sick days are for fishing season ) then go much better. Then tell her before she says the hell with fishing,give san diego a try make a weekend out of it fish one day hang out and see the sights the other day.

17. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    You have been getting positive advice !

18. socal_matt

socal_matt Yakker

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    12' Ocean Kayak aka "The Banana"
    Have fun! Take lots of pics, especially of the people. A full boat like that is great for people watching. If you want to avoid tangles, I would fish on the bow and have fun watching everyone else flounder about. Just don't get tangled with the anchor if you do that.

Heather Rae likes this.
  19. mrteddyfresh

mrteddyfresh Member

Name:
    Ted
    Boat:
    N/A
    If you got it bring long, like 9' rods, pick a spot all the way on the bow, wait for everyone to drop and then underhand your shit like 20 yards up-swell away from everyone's mess. Hand that setup to your fiance and cast her rod. When she brings up a fish, take it off the hook for her, hand her the rod your holding and put the fish in the sack or give it to the one deck hand on the boat and rebait the one she was using. If by the time you finished that and she is bringing another one up, repeat the previous step. Also make sure shes got a Lindsey Lohan supply of seasick pills in her gut. You have to be like the valet, bellhop and housekeeping maid all in one. While you may not have a problem grabbing squid parts out of a bucket, she might.

My wife likes to fish until noon and then have lunch and read a book. If your chick is not that into it dont force the issue. Also seasick pills or she is going to hate you forever, which if she agreed to marry you shes probably going to get there sooner rather than later. LOL.

All joking aside fishing, like sex, was not meant to be enjoyed with 90 people regardless, under any condition. Use alot of weight to prevent scope in the line, like 10+ oz, depending on conditions. I would bring a buddy and table the fiance thing until another opportunity came up.

I went on the Cobra out of CISCOs in oxnard with my wife and my parents a month ago, max load twelve people, fishing santa cruz island. While it is a tiny boat, we had a great time, easy limits for all by 11am, went in shallow for C&R rockfish and C&F on lingcod and cabezon. Great quality too. She had alot of fun whale, dolphin, bird and unfortunately a little sealion:mad: watching.

Good luck and post a report on how it went when your done.

blueefire3, Clipper23 and rmojica33 like this.
  20. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    They should have plenty of frozen squid....more likely they won't have enough or any fin bait...if i was going to bring anything it would be a bag of frozen anchovies to differentiate your offering from everyone else fishing frozen strip squid. Hate to say it but the extended hours is probably necessary because that boat tends to go super slow....even slower with those 90 people on the boat. The extra time will also be necessary to process all the coupon..groupon first time users buying day licenses and renting rods...you'll probably be lucky if you are leaving ONLY an hour later than scheduled. I agree with all who said scrap bringing your GF on the boat and bring a buddy instead. Better to take your gf on a limited load boat.

Last edited: May 1, 2014