Freedom SCI Report

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
I inadvertently posted this on the Bass Club forum, but thought you guys would like the report: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Just got off the Freedom from its sat night run to the <?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:place u2:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Island</u1:place></st1:place>. <o:p></o:p>
As Ive come accustomed, Tommy and his crew worked their tails off, trying for squid that night (no luck) and working the deck all day and looking for good conditions. <o:p></o:p>
Wind blew us off the <u1:place u2:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Island</u1:place></st1:place> (we were fishing the NW corner) and the water was 58ish and green. By noon, all we had to show for our efforts were a handful of bass and rockfish. <o:p></o:p>
But mother nature was recovering from the storm, and the overcast burned off, the wind died down, the current swept uphill and the water warmed up. GAME TIME! <o:p></o:p>
The bass flipped at the surface on the baits, and started showing some interest in biting. But not a lot of interest. Fly lined baits were only producing a decent pick. I had a red and olive warbait that I picked up from the fred hall show that i was excited to try. I started flinging that thing into the pockets. Cast, splunk, drop...drop...drop...ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip*CLICK*ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!! CRANK! CRANK! CRANK!<o:p></o:p>
Nice 3 pounder hits the deck! <o:p></o:p>
Watching the surface, I paid attention if the bass boiled close enough to cast to. Other edges of the kelp started boiling with 3-4lbers chasing baits, I flipped a swimmer right into them! Crank..crank..BAM!!!! AAARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH!HAHAHAHAHAH! (Gawd I love bass fishing). <o:p></o:p>
The bass really didnt play hard, they stuck to the kelp and would occasionally boil on the chum. But if you worked at it, you got a decent score. Some guys got about 3-5 fish per rod, I nailed 8, all on the warbait head and plastic swim tail. Another guy was also using the war bait w/ swimtail and was also nailing them. We had to leave'em biting and head back to the barn, so, all in all a great day. <o:p></o:p>
The weather is getting better out there, definitely worth the drive out! <o:p></o:p>
Sorry, no pics, too busy fishing! <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

tsurikichi

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ron
Boat
10' 2 1/64"
Hi Semper-Fishing,

Gotta love the plastics. Gotta love the kelp beds/lines/pockets.

thanks ....... Semper Fidelis

tsurikichi

yft1979

Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Thanks for the report, just picked up some war heads. Cant wait to try em.
G