Freedom Overnight - 4/17/2010

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by The Sea Hag, Apr 21, 2010.

1. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    On a clear Friday night at 10:00 PM the Freedom left 22nd Street Landing with a light load of 25 passengers, including 3 Izorline pro-staff. I was really excited about this trip, after listening to Captain Tom Lee's seabass seminar at a recent fishing club meeting.

After departing, the anglers were gathered in the galley. While the crew loaded bait, nice large and medium sized sardines, Izorine staff member Tom gave a brief presentation of Izorline products, followed by an "everybody wins" raffle hosted by staffers Shauna and myself.

Once we got underway, Captain Tom Lee gave a brief safety speech, and introduce the crew. We had Captain Brian running second for Tom, Johnny in the galley, Peanut, Jeffrey and Stevo on deck. Captain Tom ran over the plans for tomorrow. We'd stop at Catalina Island, hoping to get some squid. However we had plenty of frozen, should live not be available. Then we'd head to San Clemente Island, hit a cove early morning to look for seabass, and then be on the hunt for yellows after sunrise.

After that, Izorline and the staff loaded up spools with 25 and 30 pound line, for anyone who wanted a refill.

Our stop at Catalina produced no squid, either from the light boats, or a brief hunt for them by the crew. On to SCI.

We arrived a little after 5:00 AM, and set up on the anchor. Soaking baits (frozen squid) for seabass produced nothing. After sunrise, we made a move.

The next stop was out to The 9, for a slow but steady pick at bottom fish. We picked up an occasional sheephead, whitefish, a couple of lings. Captain Tom encouraged a few anglers to fly-line for yellows, and although a few broke briefly under some birds, there were no biters. Another move in closer to the kelp found a nice bite of calico bass. When that died down, we moved to another spot, for more calicos, with some really nice sized fished released at both spots. Early afternoon there was one mystery fish lost that Captain Tom believed was a yellowtail, then another caught on a dropper loop and lost to the kelp that could have been a seabass.

As always, the food was great! We had a bit of a rough ride over, but the winds forecasted for the afternoon never materialized, and by late morning the seas had laid down pretty well, and by later afternoon we had a nice smooth ride home!

We ended the 2 day trip with 11 sculpin, 88 Calico bass, 3 ling cod, 21 Whitefish, 36 sheephead, 42 salmon grouper 87 other mixed rock fish, and 2 small bonito. Jackpot, and the Izorline lunker trophy, went to Mark Granado of Whittier, with an estimated 15 pound ling cod.

We would like to thank Captain Tom Lee for allowing Izorline to sponsor this trip, and the Freedom crew for helping to make this a fun trip! And also the always friendly staff at 22nd Street Landing!

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_files/public/1271806397_2805_FT0_zakcal_.jpg

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_files/public/1271806397_2805_FT0_zaken1_.jpg

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_files/public/1271806397_2805_FT0_zaken2_.jpg

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_files/public/1271806397_2805_FT0_zaken3_.jpg

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_files/public/1271806397_2805_FT0_zaksheep_.jpg

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_files/public/1271806397_2805_FT0_zaling.jpg<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

2. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    Great run down, looks like a fun trip, congrats.

For 4/17- Tommy Lee reported thru 976 tuna an audio report of the Freedom seeing multiple spots of breezing yellows, & that two were hooked but dumped.

I fished SCI Sunday, kinda slow for cod, and flat spots of Yellow, but great Calico fishing.

3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Great reporting Pam, you finally let someone else win the JP ? :)

4. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Hey Pam, I hope all is well with you these days. Thanks for the great report/pics.

5. ambush1

ambush1 Swagger Lures,

Name:
    brett bumz
    Boat:
    23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
    great report. the freedoms a great boat out of 22nd

6. tsurikichi

tsurikichi Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi the Sea Hag,

Great report and pics. Always ..... know your thread is gonna be worth the click !! Thanks,

tsurikichi

7. twice bit

twice bit Member

Name:
    Mike Hill
    Boat:
    21FT Wellcraft Fisherman
    Thanks for sharing the trip.

8. PullinAhi

PullinAhi Fisherman

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    18 foot CC
    Thanks for sharing Pam!

9. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    Yah... Every now and then.... :)

Seeing yellowtail breezing under the birds really got everyone's blood going!! The local islands are ready to go off. All we need is a few warm days... then it will be game on!!

10. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Great report Pam . a few more degrees in water temp and things should be really kicking off at the islands