Freedom out of 22 nd st

lilrick

Feb 6, 2011
lakewood,ca
Name
Lilrick
Boat
whaler
I get irritated when I see the crew fishing . Maybe I shouldn't, but you sure don't see the crew fishing on the long range vessels. Those captains and crew are a different breed. I think they'd kick a crew members ass if they saw them not helping a paying customer. If there's nothing going on, then find something to do to be productive. Like my grandfather used to say,"if you got time to lean, you got time to CLEAN!"

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
If your going to go cattle boating, I suggest you fish a boat that will assign numbered spots on the rail. When I go cattle boat fishing I will only fish the Southern Cal out of Long Beach for this very reason. The crew is good at telling the ass hats to fish there number when they start moving in on you!!
Uh, this was an overnight boat....no assigned numbers on the rail.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    To the OP if you had an issue with the deckhands fishing maybe you should have had a talk with the man upstairs.Perhaps
    it could of been straightened out and you could have went back to fishing.Any issues should be taken up with the captain right then and there.Did you talk to him?

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Balluga

Apr 7, 2006
    Long Beach
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    25' Parker/twin Yamahas
    This is why I like free diving and spearfishing...just me and the sharks....until a sportboat jumps my spot and they start throwing jigs at me.....the positive side is that now, I have a nice jig collection...

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    I get irritated when I see the crew fishing .
    Sometimes boats allow more pin and dead heads than they should...those guys appear to be crew but are workin for some rail time.....Then you get guys that are friends of the boat that help out with stuff but are there to fish...on a crowded boat captains should recognize and put a stop to it if there is a problem with aggressive deadheads to keep customers happy...boats that don't usually have repeat customer issues...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    No fishing aft of the wheelhouse for the boys was the rule.Funny how many fish can be caught on the pointy side of the house.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Uh, this was an overnight boat....no assigned numbers on the rail.
    Rail number fishing? Is that still around? Classic. I can just picture the captain yelling at people to stay at their own number or they'll have their pole taken away from them.

Reactions: Ducksgo
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

I get irritated when I see the crew fishing . Maybe I shouldn't, but you sure don't see the crew fishing on the long range vessels. Those captains and crew are a different breed. I think they'd kick a crew members ass if they saw them not helping a paying customer. If there's nothing going on, then find something to do to be productive. Like my grandfather used to say,"if you got time to lean, you got time to CLEAN!"
    Absolutely nothing more irritating and unprofessional than to spend big bucks and have the employees jump in on the fun. One more hook in the water and your odds go down. Period.

Reactions: Otis2527
    Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    Rail number fishing? Is that still around? Classic. I can just picture the captain yelling at people to stay at their own number or they'll have their pole taken away from them.
    Boats that get super crowded and have 50 60 guys that are mostly rockfishin like the 1/2 day boats southern cal and redondo special use it to get guys at the landing early and stop arguments on the boat...
    IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ON THE INDIAN!!!

Upvote 0

Ducksgo

May 19, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Someone else's

Lmao!!! Assigned numbers on an over night boat. Never seen it before and never will because it doesn't exist. Fricken half Dayer people..... Smh I swear to god :)

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    If a deckhand or captain or second or the cook happen to step up to the rail.Instead of getting your panties in a bunch,maybe pay attention to how their fishing you just might pick up a thing or two.Unless of course your one of the new generation that already knows everything.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    If a deckhand or captain or second or the cook happen to step up to the rail.Instead of getting your panties in a bunch,maybe pay attention to how their fishing you just might pick up a thing or two.Unless of course your one of the new generation that already knows everything.
    Ego seems to be at play with many who ride sport boats..unless I'm workin the deck or helpin someone who knows me I quit giving unsolicited advice years ago because most of the time guys seem to be offended that you think they don't know what they are doing...
    It's like giving advice to someone about their dog or kid that they didn't ask for ,it almost never goes well..

Upvote 0

Otis2527

Feb 23, 2014
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Excel
    Sometimes boats allow more pin and dead heads than they should...those guys appear to be crew but are workin for some rail time.....Then you get guys that are friends of the boat that help out with stuff but are there to fish...on a crowded boat captains should recognize and put a stop to it if there is a problem with aggressive deadheads to keep customers happy...boats that don't usually have repeat customer issues...
    Most of the local boats are full of deadheads. I just dont understand how its good for business. I dont want to hear the crap about how the deadheads help with their fish count. The boats pad those numbers anyway. You can make the best statement by choosing to take your $$$ elsewhere. There are boats that will actually treat you like a paying customer.

I did fish the Freedom twice last year and did not have the same experience as the OP. I thought the crew and captain were solid. They did have a couple free riders but they stayed low profile.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I really don't think deckhands should fish unless fishing is slow' on a 8 day I seen the Capitan fish I taught it was cool
    plus he gave a lot of guys different tips how to catch some yellows when their were picky

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Anybody remember the colored clothespins ?

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Ego seems to be at play with many who ride sport boats..unless I'm workin the deck or helpin someone who knows me I quit giving unsolicited advice years ago because most of the time guys seem to be offended that you think they don't know what they are doing...
    It's like giving advice to someone about their dog or kid that they didn't ask for ,it almost never goes well..

I usually don't ask advice,but I for sure perk up and pay attention if somebodys getting bit and I'm not.As far as giving advice only if its asked,like I said too many of the newer gen think they already know everything.I would much rather take somebody out on my boat that knows very little and is open to suggestions then some kook that mistakenly thinks he knows it all.The first guy is much easier to teach.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    I usually don't ask advice,but I for sure perk up and pay attention if somebodys
    Paying attention to other guys and making adjustments that are successful is a level of fishing that you have reached that many have not.
    I'm sure you notice the rampant tunnel vision that occurs on boats

Upvote 0