Freedom out of 22 nd st

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Went on the freedom Sunday to SCI what a waste of $350 total spent for my son and I , caught one calico before the sun came up then with all the rude people and the deck hands that kept crowding me out of a place to fish I cut off my hook and put the pole in the rack and gave up. Why is it that when people have to catch that fish that all there manners just go out the window? Never will I go on one of their boats again!

Upvote 0

XBDEE

Dec 30, 2012
El Monte ca USA
Name
Dee
Boat
N/a
They're not all bad. Just gotta be real picky on the boats you choose to ride on and the days. Hope you guys have better luck next time!

Upvote 0

eviljaysen

Jun 16, 2005
USA
Name
Jaysen
Boat
Dreaming
sorry you had a bummer of a day. sometimes cattle boats are like that... commando fishing. how many people were on the boat? Personally, i have fished the freedom many times last year and have had nothing but good things to say about the crew and passengers... but generally speaking... there is always one, THAT GUY. Maybe there was a boatload of them on your trip. I will be fishing with them this weekend, Friday for Saturday. They just got back in the water, i hope nothing has changed.

Reactions: Radical Ross
Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Went on the freedom Sunday to SCI what a waste of $350 total spent for my son and I , caught one calico before the sun came up then with all the rude people and the deck hands that kept crowding me out of a place to fish I cut off my hook and put the pole in the rack and gave up. Why is it that when people have to catch that fish that all there manners just go out the window? Never will I go on one of their boats again!
    These trips are what you make of them,if you throw your rod down and sulk the day away what do you expect?Next time wade into the middle of it all,laugh and have a good time whether catching fish or not,set an example for your son!dont cry on the internet.You were on one of the first trips after a major remodel and upgrade on the boat and you dont even mention one thing about that?If its only about getting fish for you call tommy at avalon seafoods and he will ship it to your door alot cheaper.

Upvote 0

Matto

Jun 5, 2009
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    15ft Bellboy Spongebob
    350$ is pretty pricey for a calico bass----many boats to choose from---like Jaysen says , probably a boat load of THOSE GUYS--if some of them were deckhands----SKIP THAT BOAT--------I bet you were ready for a air lift---better luck next time

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
    Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat
    No Name........
    That's why most folks that fish a lot of party boats tend to look for limited load private charters with a couple open spots.... it cost more than open cattle boats but benefits outweigh the cost difference...

The rich and entitled just buy their own boats............

Reactions: BurningHeart
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Sucks when you bring your kid on the boat and run into a-holes...but "cutting your hook off, and putting your rod in the holder."

What about your son. How do you think that made him feel. Not sure how old he is, but I would do my best to make the best of the situation for my son.

Looks like fish were caught for those that put a line in the water.

21 California Yellowtail, 87 Ocean Whitefish, 5 California Sheephead, 132 Rockfish, 6 Kelp Bass, 1 Pacific Bonito

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    The rich and entitled just buy their own boats............

Thats funny. I guess I am part of the 1% now. :rolleyes:o_O

Look at all those rich and entitled jack offs looking for YT off San Clemente, and crowding the poor people on the cattle boats. LOL Pic. curtseys of Fishdopes spotter plane, Facebook page. Shit, the guy who owns the plane must be Bill Gates.
    10922433_10153007904094687_5580067027877433026_n.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    What does a "major remodel" have to do with his experience with the captain, crew and passengers? While I agree he needed to man up and fish, a lot of people that go on this kind of trip are new to sport boat fishing ie COMBAT fishing, that being said it is up to the "Captain and Crew" to make this guy feel welcome and make his experience memorable. If a Captain or Crew allows a guy to "cut his line and rack his rod for the day" something is wrong. I'm of the mindset the Captain and Crew make the trip, even a very tough trip fun to be on after all they are in the customer service industry.

I have fished the Freedom many times and have some fantastic memories bummer this individual didn't leave with the same experience. Will have to check out the new and improved Freedom next time I get a chance.

NoLDR over and out!!

Brad

Reactions: Otis2527
    Upvote 0

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
    Jul 14, 2004
    Alta Loma/Huntington
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    There is a way to casually make your way through crowds/tangles etc... Be cool, calm, courteous and smile. It's contagious. If you have a hot head and a bad attitude, that is also contagious and does nothing to temper the situation.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
    Nov 15, 2014
    El Cajon
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Dusky 17
    Some boats are better than others but you have to fight for your spot at the feed trough on cattle boats. Sharp elbows and such…
    Try going on a week day. Weekends are always crowded.

I got tired of cattle boat fishing "only child syndrome" and decided that the low price wasn’t worth the headache and purchased a used boat. Going out with a few friends or even alone is great. I catch alot more fish as well...

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Some boats are better than others but you have to fight for your spot at the feed trough on cattle boats. Sharp elbows and such…
    Try going on a week day. Weekends are always crowded.

I got tired of cattle boat fishing "only child syndrome" and decided that the low price wasn’t worth the headache and purchased a used boat. Going out with a few friends or even alone is great. I catch alot more fish as well...
    the big problem is I used to fish the Freedom with 36 and thought that was to many now their putting 45 on moo

Upvote 0

fishhard

May 4, 2004
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Fish Hard
    Boat
    16' Starcraft
    If your going to go cattle boating, I suggest you fish a boat that will assign numbered spots on the rail. When I go cattle boat fishing I will only fish the Southern Cal out of Long Beach for this very reason. The crew is good at telling the ass hats to fish there number when they start moving in on you!!

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
    Nov 15, 2014
    El Cajon
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Dusky 17
    Ouch. Ive seen some boats out of Long Beach with people crowding every inch of the rail.

Tangle city.

I screwed up and rode a boat out of DP that had a groupon deal going. I wondered why my buddy said I could have his spare ticket.... It sounds pretty much like the opening posters trip but with more passengers and heavily influenced my decision to buy a boat.

Upvote 0

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
    Jul 14, 2004
    Alta Loma/Huntington
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    If your going to go cattle boating, I suggest you fish a boat that will assign numbered spots on the rail. When I go cattle boat fishing I will only fish the Southern Cal out of Long Beach for this very reason. The crew is good at telling the ass hats to fish there number when they start moving in on you!!

"I know I'm fishing on the wrong side of the boat, but this is my assigned spot. Shuffle right??? But But, my number is here!" :confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0

bosco

Older Timer
    Oct 21, 2005
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Ken Ross
    Boat
    Someone else's
    When fishing on the Freedom you have to know the LAW; You're either an INLAW or an OUTLAW! bosco

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
    Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat
    No Name........
    Thats funny. I guess I am part of the 1% now. :rolleyes:o_O

Look at all those rich and entitled jack offs looking for YT off San Clemente, and crowding the poor people on the cattle boats. LOL Pic. curtseys of Fishdopes spotter plane, Facebook page. Shit, the guy who owns the plane must be Bill Gates.
    10922433_10153007904094687_5580067027877433026_n.jpg

You..... You.... You..... REPUBLICAN......................

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
    Apr 27, 2006
    M Class Planet / Riverside
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    I don't know how old your son is but rdrrm8e is steering you in the right direction. Find a trip that you would expect to have a bit more civilized patrons (even if it costs a little more), and get your son some quality fishing experience. Also, there are a lot of anglers with various levels of experience on this site that do all kinds of trips where you and your son can grab some fishing time, usually for a lot less money than cattle boat, just post a note on the offshore or local planning forum. Based on the recent excellent fishing that's been going on everyone is expecting this season to surpass last years bonanza, most of us here would rather see the next generation get excited about fishing instead of getting discouraged and joining some sort anti-fishing organization.

As far as bad manners go, I attend an auction every Friday that has a vendor open a dozen boxes of free doughnuts right before the sale starts just so they can watch 80+ men act like piranhas on blood soaked meat. God help us if there ever is a true apocalypse.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    I suggest you fish a boat that will assign numbered spots on the rail.
    Since most guys on sport boats seem to be novice anglers having assigned spots is used by crews strictly to stop arguments between passengers....it's a lazy way to handle a boat with 30 to 50 passengers but understandable for crowds like that because getting people to understand why they should move takes too much time..
    The reality is Anyone who knows how to fish understands that adjusting your position on the boat for many reasons will increase your ability to hook and actually land your fish through the crowd but understanding when and why takes time at the rail.
    It makes it appear that some guys are trying to take advantage of others when they bounce from spot to spot but they are actually adjusting for current, boat swing and a ton of other reasons...
    IT AINT PERSONAL

Last edited:
    Reactions: stairman
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Dont blame it on the boat,blame it on the passengers.Some guys get like women at a dress sale if someone hooks up or the boat stops.Etiquitte,manners and the ability to realize there are others on the boat all disappear.

Upvote 0