Freedom at Clemente 6/11/18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by streetnfish, Jun 12, 2018.

1. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Hey guys,

Decided to jump on on the Freedom Sun night to hit the big island. I was a little worried about conditions and there were reports of wind and increased swell this week. However, I talked to my buddy who just got back from over there on the Truline and he said that aside from a bumpy ride over conditions were fine. When I left around 8:50 there were about 20 peeps signed up. Had to take some detours to dodge a couple of accidents but arrived at the landing around 9:30. There were quite a few people waiting and when I asked at the window, I was told there were 29 people so far. I hesitated for a moment then signed on. We ended up with 31.
    We boarded shortly after. I put my gear up and went to the crew for the dope on the fishing. On deck we had Alex, Justin, Trevor, and one other young man whose name escapes me. Also forget the cooks name sorry. They said that 25lb bait set up, yo yo iron, and surface iron would be the way to go. My setups included a 100j with Fathom 25N, 700H with Newell 533 narrowed, Phenix Abyss 909H with Lexa 400 HD-HP, and Cedros Speed Jig with Trinidad 16 Narrow Special. I put some 25 lb flouro on and waited to see the bait for hook size.
    So, we finally shove off and head to the bait barge. We load up on some "fair" grade dines in the 5-7" size. We head out to the island and the captain calls us in for the rundown. Captain Dave is running the boat and gives us a very thorough no nonsense rundown. This guy wants to catch some fish ! Afterwards, I look at the bait, tie on s 2/0 hook and hit the sack.
    The ride is not bad at all and I'm soon fast asleep. Sometime during the night, I hear the boat motor down and figure he's looking for a spot to anchor up for the morning. I fall back asleep and when I wake up its 5am. The boat is running!?. I go upstairs and look around. It's just getting to grey light and I can tell we are not at the island. I mention to a guy next to me . . . " I guess we spent the night at Catalina. He points over to one of the tanks. 20180611_054040.jpg
    YES! We got the CANDY ! These are nice 5-8" squid. I go back to my flyline setup and change out my leader to 30lb flouro and tie on a 1/2oz lead head. It's getting lighter outside and I can see Clemente ahead but we are still a ways off.
    20180611_054221.jpg
    We set up and start fishing around 7:30. A few other boats are already there. Thunderbird, Ultra, Outrider, and possibly Freelance? Anyway we anchor up on one of the reefs and start fishing. Conditions are beautiful. Clear blue water, not much swell if any, and very slight breeze. T shirt weather off the bat.:-)
    20180611_065535.jpg 20180611_112713.jpg
    Bass start coming aboard immediately. Lots of shorts to weed through but also some nice 14-16" fish. They are biting both the squid and the dines. Soon we hear a couple calls of YELLOWTAIL ! with guys calling "HOT RAIL!" as they come down the side. One gentleman yells YEA ! ON THE IRON ! from the bow. Everybody works together and with all the deckhands helping we soon get about 5 yellows on board. These are the small schoolie models 4-6 lbs. The guy who caught his on the iron finally calls for the gaff and the deckhand says "Oh that's a REAL yellowtail" That fish is gaffed and comes over the rail as a legit 25lb fish. I have been catching lots of bass on the squid and finally feel that thump followed by my line blazing of my reel. Turn the handle and feel the head shakes of a small yellowtai. Get him to the boat and bounce him in with no problem. Yea sashimi and poki for me ! And so the bite continued with constant bass coming over, flurries of yellowtail, and the occasional whitefish or Spanish mac. All fish were tagged , bled, and put in the box before being placed in the fish hold. 20180611_074620.jpg
    The yellows began coming through more frequently where it seems that we would always have 2-5 hooked up. We had a good mix of anglers who worked together and tangles/losses were minimal. I put 4 yellows in the box and then handed off the next 5 to folks who were not having as much success (couple of gals, a kid, and a boyfriend who decided to take the first fish I called his girl in on LOL). We got 4 out of those 5 with one loss to a pulled hook so everyone was happy with some fish to take home. I think we pulled over 70 yellows off that spot before things slowed down. Fish bit the squid and sardines almost the same with Mabye a slight edge to the squid for ease of fishing/staying in touch. There were also several landed on the yo yo iron and a couple on the surface iron. I had a couple of bumps and some followers on the plug but no iron fish for me. We handed of some squid to the T-bird and I think they did well too.
    We stopped at few other spots and put on a few more yellows to top the 80 mark and then looked for a couple of rockfish spots to end the day
    20180611_125734.jpg 20180611_125744.jpg
    Conditions stayed beautiful and the temps continued to rise until the captain said it felt like baja out there. The rockfish spots only produced a few fish and we were glad to shove off for home.
    20180611_153525.jpg 20180611_143710.jpg 20180611_153644.jpg 20180611_153659.jpg
    This was one of those fun trips where you always had a chance at a fish. Everyone caught something and "That Guy" was at work or somewhere else :puff:
    It was nice having so many deckhands to manage everything and they were on point all day with great attitudes. They hooked and handed lots of fish and made sure everyone went home with something. Captain Dave put us on fish and was very funny/personable. He often came down on deck and talked/joked with the passengers as well as hooking and handing some fish.
    Like I said above, everything worked and the fish were manageable size. I'd say 1/2 of the yellows were 4-6 lbs and the other half were 6-8lbs. That 25lb fish was by far the biggest on the boat with nothing else close. A few bigger fish were hooked but they all found the reef without looking back and one was taken by a BIG sea lion.
    I believe we had about 50 bass with most being in the 14-16" size. I saw a few larger ones get tossed back and no trophy bass were caught so you skiff guys can rest easy:D. I went home with 4 yellows and 3 bass so plenty for me and friends. My yellow were 4-11 to 5-1 gilled and gutted so that tells you the size of the fish.

Have a good one guys.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Ed Y

Ed Y Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    BW Montauk 170
    Looks like a fantastic time on the water. Way to go on the handing off on some of your hookups

3. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Great report, great weather, looks like a ton of fun! THANK YOU for posting!
    Any rough idea on the depth you guys were fishing when you got all the yellows?

4. Dan Salazar

Dan Salazar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan Salazar
    Boat:
    Hammer Time
    Excellent report. You appear to be that top 20% that catches 80% of the fish.
    Trinidad 16 narrow my absolute favorite reel I own one let me know if you ever want to sell it

5. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Like Erik "Get Some" posted awhile back. That 90ft contour line.

RyanErb likes this.
  6. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Thanks. I don't know about that though. I just try and stay at the rail all day and take advantage if I get a chance. Every now and then the fish make me look like I know what I'm doing LOL.

As for that 16 Narrow, by the time I'm finished with it, you probably wont want it.;)

spize909 likes this.
  7. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    Great report. I am on the boat tonight so it's just the info I was looking for. I was hoping for a better ratio of bigger fish but I'll take it.
    Good on you for handing fish off! That's something I always try to do during a decent bite. Especially for the kids!

repo805 likes this.
  8. C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Great report
    Thanks for posting

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sensational trip, too cool!

10. cpontiveros

cpontiveros Newbie

Name:
    chris O
    Boat:
    NA
    Sweet report. Going out on the Freedom tomorrow night, was wondering what to bring, think I'm good now.

onehottip likes this.
  11. Knuckles74

Knuckles74 Oceanside angler

Name:
    Aaron Peterson
    Boat:
    Sporties
    Great report, looks like good times to me.

12. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Wait til you hear about today!!

13. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  14. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    We were on the Fortune, Ray. What a day of fishing! You guys did really well on the tails as well as the T-Bird.

15. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Wow ! Here today and gone tomorrow. Looks like they swam north to Channel Islands or south to the Coronados. Definitelty feel fortunate about the day I picked.
    :rockin:

16. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Wow, great report - sounds like a super fun time! Congrats!

17. jigstickjeff

jigstickjeff Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    BZ T-10
    Were the yellows keyed in on bait or iron?:jig:

18. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Bait. But, that was Mon

19. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I was on the boat Wednesday and for the good sticks, the iron (surface) was working. Most of the 29 (slowed down as the counts have shown) were bait fish. My 2 fish were bait fish on 20lb.............lost both. One to a seal, one I just pulled the hook at deep color. No fish over 15lbs or so.
    Edit to say we had at least 43 fishing with a bow load of deadheads. It was kinda tough.