Freedom 8/4

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by concept11253, Aug 5, 2017.

1. concept11253

concept11253 Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    -
    Departed on Thursday 8/3 on the Freedom to fish Friday 8/4 with some coworkers to try our luck at the larger model bluefin. Captain Jeff told us we would be headed out to SCI to fish for the bluefin. The crew recommended 100lb spectra with 80-100lb main line to a 135-200lb leader with a 250g flat fall for the large bluefin.

We awoke the next morning by ourselves just before grey light on a solid meter mark at 160-200 feet. The majority of people were working the glow in the dark flat falls to no avail. After trying for an hour to get them to go the captain decided to go search around for a new spot of fish. Around 8am we end up stopping just outside the rest of the fleet on a solid mark of fish that reacted to the brailer of chum. Fish were blowing up all around us but we only managed two hook ups, boating one ~15lb fish. We continued the run and gun fishing for a couple of fish that sunk out quick. I managed to hook one on a long soak but it quickly came unbuttoned. The captain drove us away from the rest of the fleet and we found one that wanted to stick with the boat around 10am. We hung a few fish during the initial stop and then it was a plunker style bite. I was lucky enough to hook another one on a long soak on my Newell 220 loaded with 25# line and a #2 Mustad #92677 hook (Big thanks to Tunaslam's report recommending the lighter gear as I would have left the small outfits at home). The fish stripped off 75 yards of line and took me around the boat a couple of times before I landed a nice ~40lb model. I forgot how hard these things pull on light line. We were joined by 5-6 other boats and the fish went down.

Around noon we found another spot of fish that stuck with the boat until it was time to leave. We always had at least one fish going and I think we had 5 fish going at one point. I was lucky enough to get two more bites during this stop on my 25# setup but only connected with one. I handed off the second one to a coworker who was not having as great of luck. The fish ended up being a 30-35lber. The majority of the fish we caught were in the 20-30 lb range with some smaller and a couple of larger variants. We ended the day around 2:30 with 18 bluefin from 15-45lbs. There were a fair amount of casualties due to broken line and pulled hooks. These were not the grade of fish we were all hoping for but they were certainly the “fun sized” fish on the light tackle.

Captain Jeff and crew worked hard to get the fish we got. They worked quickly to get us out of tangles and help people land their fish. I'll be back out on this boat again sometime next week.

If you're going out I'd recommend a lighter outfit and also the heavier flat fall fishing gear. The guys fishing 20-25# line were having much better success at getting bites than those fishing heavier gear.

IMG_9331.JPG IMG_9335.JPG IMG_9369.JPG

2. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Good report, POKE UP!

3. noslow64

noslow64 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    sold it
    something is better than nothing, even if they would have been footballs, at least you landed some. great job

4. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Very nice!!!

5. Nudle

Nudle Member

Name:
    SONNY
    Boat:
    NONE
    Nice!

6. COSDoug

COSDoug Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Hobie Kayak
    That was a very well written report, thank you.
    Doug

7. colemans224

colemans224 Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    seaswirl cc
  8. jktracing

jktracing Newbie

Name:
    eddie
    Boat:
    nothing!
    Thanks for the report. Freedom is my go to boat right now!

9. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Those are the perfect size fish. A cow is cool and all of that, but when it gets right down to it IMHO it is more fun catching a few of the size fish that you did on that trip. Lot's of bait is the key......I need a bigger bait tank.............Ap

10. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    BFT = Blue Fun Tuna

11. landman

landman watch your lips

Name:
    Vic
    Boat:
    g3
    Good job. I went on the Constitution 8/3 and score a 40 pounder and the boat ended up with 9 of the same, it was fun. It sucked about the private boats pulling up on us at every stop and in the chum line with no remorse, cant they find there own fish.