Fred Hall worth!?!

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Andrew Padgett, Feb 28, 2018.

1. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    Goto the show.. have a couple over priced beers, have fun! Spend too much money. It's what we all do year in and year out.

SouthBayKiller and jer dog like this.
  2. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    Tradeshows are a part of my job description and I can say with 100% confidence that Del Mar is the WORST trade show site in the country. That facility is an absolute joke, but I'm sure FHS gets a good deal on it.

sealskinner likes this.
  3. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    but going too the Del mar Show
    is a lot better then staying home and doing honey does
    and its more laid back

flyinverted and Cy Bodden like this.
  4. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I have been going for as long as I can remember. Originally, it was the great deals and neat stuff I had never seen before that attracted me, but it seems like the great deals (on stuff you want) are getting more scarce every year. Same thing with neat stuff that you never even knew you needed.

Even so, I still enjoy going and talking to lots of people at lots of booths. There are definitely knowledgeable people who are happy to talk.

I am going to make a greater effort to attend some seminars, but I have never found those to be very useful.

And beer goes up in price every year. Its like they are trying to figure out how much they can charge before people cut down their consumption. The prices are laughable.

All in all, it is still worthwhile, just not what it used to be.

5. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    If you go, be sure to check out the Black Hole Booth and the Bob Sands Booth. I had a blast last year and am taking my wife this year.

Last year I bought so much shit that I bailed on my flight home and just drove the rental SUV back to OAP. So this year I actually planned on that and only bought one-way tickets (for $36 each!!) to LB and we'll just drive back.

If you go bring lots of cash. A lot of the retailers can't get wi-fi to run your credit card.

bparker1225 likes this.
  6. Farmer_Fred

Farmer_Fred Newbie

Name:
    Steven Armstrong
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    I wondering about bakersfield too. I'm fixing to drop 3k and saving anymoney will go along way. Family fishing .... try purchasing for 5 grandkids

7. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    before I waste any money on beer,
    I spin the wheel at the Rollo's Kids booth
    for $20 Bucks, and have a chance at win something
    then just pissing away my money.

8. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    The Bakersfield show really doesn't compare to the Long Beach show. If your main interest is saltwater it's going to be somewhat limited but if Bakersfield is your only option I would say it's definitely worth going to.

The main booth will be Cope's which is the local tackle shop. Seeker, Cousins, Phenix, Okuma, Penn, Daiwa and Accurate will be there. It's a huge RV and Boat Show and there's plenty to look at.

You can take a look at the Vendor list and get an idea for yourself: http://www.fredhall.com/bakersfield/exibitors-bf/

Adrien

skotz likes this.
  9. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    I’m guessing you’re right, probably more emphasis on FW, bass and such. I’ll wait for Del Mar, not doing LB. was just getting anxious and I’m two hours away . Thanks for the reality check.

10. Farmer_Fred

Farmer_Fred Newbie

Name:
    Steven Armstrong
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    Sounds like Bako is no Beano

11. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
  12. flyinverted

flyinverted Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Trojan F32
    Deals to be had for sure! I get a years worth supply of hooks and flouro leader with the buy some get some more free deals. Turners always has silly low prices on something. I bought a gun I didn't need one year. I've bought several thousand in electronics for my boat as I know what the prices are normally and scored some deals. Beer is rediculously high priced. The seminars can be great source of intel. Just go. 100 booths in the beginning of out of state lodges trying to get your to come up there. Do not make eye contact.... Keep walking. Once you get to the 3rd row you're safe. GO EARLY. Once the families start showing up with strollers, what a pain it will be to get down an aisle.

13. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    If you go and do not think it is worth it, then take up a new hobby like knitting or underwater basket weaving.

cbadcrew likes this.
  14. duckbutter6a

duckbutter6a Florida man living in SoCal

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Dusky 17
    I went once. I should have just went fishing. I saved $20 on a reel I wanted and looked at sales on last year's stuff and over priced this year's new stuff.

I used to be big into gun shows back east. Fred Hall is like a fishing gun show with less Nazis and beanie baby's but the same amount of beef jerky vendors and expensive beer.

That being said.... it's fun to observe the show. Pregame in the parking lot in "secret" if you need a beer and don't want to pay $15.00

|HEX| and repo805 like this.
  15. mindbent

mindbent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    one that floats
    If you're looking for deals then go Sunday for the last couple hours. If I go it's just to say hi to some people I don't see very often. I handle some reels and pull on some rods. If there's a good deal on jigs I'll grab some. If you've never been you should go just for the experience.

16. fishtacomag

fishtacomag Member

Name:
    shawn
    Boat:
    19" Trophy
    About the cash part, I have a paypal thing for my phone but it is REAL temperamental in the convention center. Usually by 2nd day I say screw it and take cash only...I might lose one or two customers during the show but better than the hassle of making customers wait 15 minutes to pay.

17. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Definitely worth it to go. Check out the seminars, tackle, boats, etc. The sporting chef seminar usually makes some good food to sample. I like the long beach show better than del Mar, but del Mar is also farther. You won't regret going!

18. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    so, am I the only one to go just for the big & expensive hot dogs?

8 years ago there were offers all over the show, I always returned Baja with many no-name cheap saltwater rods $5-$15 dls each, you see guys leaving the show with 10-15 of those rods walking proud like if they have stoled them (6 hrs later I was walking with the same amount of rods too), blemished reels and rods of well known brands for less than 1/2 price, lots of offers of fishing hooks and fishing line spools, tons of good quality stickers from many fishing brands that I used to share with local friends, but the last 3 years the offers are almost non existance, not 2x1 hooks, no quality stickers from brands now the free ones are shitty one and the good quality ones are for sell, no free hats, etc.

so, now I just go like the rest just said, just for the experience, spend time with family on the duck races, get one big hot dog, walk and see the new gear from the big vendors and buy my gear online when needed.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  19. CALMark45

CALMark45 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Invisible Boat
    Go in groups of friends and check out the seminars, theres also some outdoor hunting and window shopping. Hop on boats we cant afford! Its a weekend hangout spot and an excuse to go out with friends.

Grab some free stickers and i think Im going to checkout fishing apparel this year.

Enjoy the show!

20. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    It has nothing to do with getting a deal. It has everything to do with walking around in a huge candy shop...I am going on Thursday this year...
    Ap

Brad I and solid72 like this.