FRED HALL SHOWS 2022

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I realize this is a bit early to be thinking about the Fred Hall Shows for 2022, but I have questions.
I lived in San Diego for 34 years, but never attended the Fred Hall Show in San Diego; I now live in St. George, Utah for the past 18 years, and have attended the Long Beach shows a few times in those 18 years. I usually did a round trip driving and attended the show all in the same day, but as I am getting older, it is getting more difficult to do it that way.
I realize the the Long Beach Show is the Granddaddy of shows, but how does the San Diego Show compare? Is it the same vendors, with the same equipment on a smaller scale, or do some (a lot) of vendors skip the San Diego Show?
If I were to attend the San Diego Show, I could stay with family overnight and not have to make the round trip drive back in the same day.
It cost enough for gas to drive to either show, but to have to stay in a hotel overnight would just be less equipment I could purchase at the show.
If you have attended both, please let me know what you think.

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... Del Mar is fine... if thats all you can do.....but Long Beach... is 10 times the show. I have done fishing and sport shows all over the country / world... few... if any compare to the spectacle of LB.

Realize that many manufacturers release new product there.... one of maybe 2 sites Nationally. See it all before the rest of the country. West Coast "innovation" on display for sure. Got so big.... there are times 2 days maybe necessary to really experience it and take advantage of all the possibilities.

Now each year sees different circumstances... products... innovations.... and sales. For solid advice.... great learning opportunities.... and deals galore.... LONG BEACH IS KING!! Worth any inconvenience....in my book. Gooooo.... you'll be glad you did....again.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    SD show is on a smaller scale all around. Fewer vendors and deals. Great place to catch up with people in the industry that you know. If you're looking to check out products there are lesser crowds finger fucking the displays. Still a good show and I try to make it out even after loading up at LB just a couple weeks prior.

Consider Day at the Docks. It's free. The top manufacturers still attend. I've found some killer deals throughout the years. Open house for sportboats! Better weather.

Upvote 0
    Jan 9, 2021
    cardiff
    Name
    john
    Boat
    red rooster
    SD show is on a smaller scale all around. Fewer vendors and deals. Great place to catch up with people in the industry that you know. If you're looking to check out products there are lesser crowds finger fucking the displays. Still a good show and I try to make it out even after loading up at LB just a couple weeks prior.

Consider Day at the Docks. It's free. The top manufacturers still attend. I've found some killer deals throughout the years. Open house for sportboats! Better weather.
    LB is waaaaay better IMO. It makes SD look like a swap meet. and everybody is so grouchy after doing the LB show.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    San Diegan here. Fred Hall Long Beach is worth finding a hotel in the area, and plenty of time ahead to plan it. As Skrilla above mentioned, if you have a chance to do the Day At The Docks, it's small, it's free- except for parking which isn't too bad to find- and if you are the raffle kind of guy that I am, lots of chances to win some pretty good stuff. Tours of the fishing fleet, very cool one-hour talks by pro's, just an all around good time. About 9a.m. to about 5p.m. Your raffle tickets are for charity, so I claim my on taxes. One day only, though.

Upvote 0