Fred Hall - Long Beach or Del Mar?

backfisher

Jun 9, 2017
San Diego
Name
Richard
Boat Name
If I only...
After so many years of missing this event, I am finally going to go to one of the Fred Hall shows this year. The Del Mar show is just a few miles from my house, but from what I am hearing, it seems as though the Long Beach show is the real deal, and the Del Mar one is the "ugly stepchild" event. Is this the case? Would I be better off driving up to Long Beach to see more manufacturers and get better deals from the vendors or will I see all the same stuff and deals in Del Mar? What do people on the forum think.

Thanks

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat Name
17 starcraft
There are many vendors who only go to the long beach show. Now whether you actually care to see those vendors is a whole different story.

Upvote 0

Rip~Tide

Jan 8, 2018
PSL
Name
Corey
Boat Name
2006 21’20 Parker
The Long Beach show is so big you can’t see it all of one day almost.
They now started one in Bako so I’d think that one is the new “ugly stepchild” lol.
Been going to the long beach show for the last 5 years. I go the first day it opens

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat Name
    I know a couple guys...
    My buddy went to the Long Beach show and to the San Diego show last year. He got a price on a rod at the Long Beach show and balked on the purchase thinking he would be able to pick it up in San Diego the following week. He told me that the price of the same rod and same booth was higher at San Diego. I'm not speaking from personal experience so take it with a grain of salt but if I had to choose one it would definitely be Long Beach.

Also my buddy could have been acting like a an ass hole and the guy just raised the price for that reason who knows?

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
    May 19, 2006
    Crowley Lake, CA
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat Name
    Gone but not forgotten
    From my personal experience, Long Beach is the larger of the two. Vendors seem to be better stocked and there are greater numbers of them. However, in recent years, certain stalwarts have dropped off the show floor. If you are going purposely to purchase, you may be disappointed. If you are going to browse, talk with manufacturers or boat operators....it is gold. There are deals to be had, and hopefully, those that find them will post them on BD's so others can also take advantage. Cash is king, sometime the cc readers don't work so well due to limited band width.

Upvote 0

backfisher

Jun 9, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Richard
    Boat Name
    If I only...
    Thanks everyone for the replies, it sounds like Long Beach is the place to go for the spectacle of it all. One of the reasons I will be going (the other being the experience) is that I am looking into buying a few new rods this year. I do not need to get them at the show, and would probably buy them at Squidco or custom wrap later. So will all the major rod makers be at both shows so that I can pull on some rods before I make a decision?

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat Name
    21' Center Console
    I’m gonna go against the grain and say F the Long Beach show. Having been from the SF Bay and going to the Long Beach show for several years, initially i enjoyed it but after dealing with shoulder to shoulder People in aisles i finally said F it last year and since moving down to SD went to the Delmar show for the first and was pleasantly surprised. Easier to just walk from booth to booth and take my time, with the family to boot.

No need to go the LBC anymore.

Reactions: titan05 and bugman
    Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat Name
    won't b mine
    You will likely not be able to see all that's there at LB. And as far as crowded...YES. I've made the drive up and enjoyed it more than DM. The impression I got was those that are there to sell, are just as eager to see the crowd, so they work more for those dollars. I did notice there seemed to be a small percentage higher in DM than LB, but, hell, if I've made up my mind to buy it, I'm done anyhow. If I do make it up there this year, I won't be stupid and drive back the same night. I've cautioned about this before, but here goes: I bought (item X) at LB FHS and handed my credit card to be scanned. Purchase complete. Shopped around some more, went to buy lunch, and credit card not working. Paid cash, shopped more, now credit card not working at all. Had to look for change in the car to pay for gas home. Problem: the vendor I bought from was from Florida, and his CC reader was for his bank back there. Credit card was blocked because I "couldn't be in two places that far apart at one time." Make sure you do proper notifications ahead of time.

Upvote 0