Fraser Volpe MK-X Repair?

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by Bgeno1226, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Bgeno1226

Bgeno1226 Doctors Orders

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    El Patron
    I have a pair of fraser volpe MK-X that need repair. I have called fraser and baker marine and they both no longer service these binos.

They worked last season perfectly. Then it appeared the gyroscope was having a tough time initiating its spin. When I took them apart and turned on the gyro it wasnt spinning but with a touch it would go.

Anyone know of anyone that can work on these binos? Thanks.

2. fisherman1133

fisherman1133 fisherman1133

Name:
    Matthew Lowe
    Boat:
    2320 Parker (Bigger Jigger)
    Would love to know that answer on this too as I am buying a pair used from a member here.

3. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    I brought this question up in the other thread where a member is selling the fraser volpe gyros. Ali replied that he had his serviced at Fraser Volpe not all that long ago for $800 for a complete go through.

If Fraser Volpe is no longer doing this, then I too would be interested in knowing, as this could bring the price down substantially if there are very few places that can properly service these.

Anyone else have any additional info on this??

The unknown fisherman:p:

4. fisherman1133

fisherman1133 fisherman1133

Name:
    Matthew Lowe
    Boat:
    2320 Parker (Bigger Jigger)
    I just got an email back from Fraser Optics and they said they no longer service the MK-X as parts for them have become obsolete. So I am a little scared as I am shelling out 2500 for something that might not be able to be fixed if broken. I am gonna email optic pros and see next.

5. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Relax. I just got mines back from Frasier about a week ago. You are looking at Mariners not MK-X. Like I said in the other post, I'll buy them if you don't. Worst case, you have to send them in right away and you're out $3300 for a like new pair. A STEAL for that money.

6. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    I dealt with Fraser to get our Mariners repaired. It cost $750 and they came back like new. 2 years of use and babying them = Bad motor, bad switch, loose baffle on the gimbal.

Here is a good contact for Fraser repair. She was easy to deal with and got it done.

Ellen J. Cooper
    Fraser Optics LLC

1025 Thomas Dr, Warminster, PA 18974
    Office (215) 443-5240 x 112
    Fax (215) 443-0966
    www.fraseroptics.com
    [email protected]

7. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express

Jason, do you know if Fraser is still operating? I sent mine in two weeks ago to get repaired and have been trying daily to get a response from them. Over 30 calls and multiple emails to various people there without a single response.I am getting worried that they are closed. I have called every extension on the menu without he ability to get a human. I am getting worried and wondered if you have any contacts other than Ellen. Thanks

8. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    It took a while for them to get back to me. They called me on the phone after they pulled apart the bino's and told me everything wrong with them and what they were going to do and the cost.
    Overall it took around 5 weeks to complete.

9. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    Thanks for the quick reply Jason. I was just worried that after I sent them that I have not been able to talk to a human since or even get an email response. I will patiently wait. Fortunately I have another pair so this is not critical on needing them now.

10. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    They charge a flat rate of 750 to repair any damaged part.

11. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    They charge a flat rate of 750 to repair any damaged part or parts. 750 total

12. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    I am not worried about the charge, just need to talk to a human.

13. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    Over three weeks without a call back, email or some kind of correspondence. I am so frustrated that I called every department on the directory and not a single person is reachable. I have no idea what is going on. While I like the Frasers, it is easy for me to take my Fuji's to Baker on Shelter Island and work with real people. For whatever it is worth, keep this in mind when choosing.

14. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    Just a follow up since I have been posting this concern, They did get back to me after three and a half weeks. The majority of the office was apparently out on vacation. I suggested that they have email and voice mail messages to alert customers next time! The total time since I sent it in could be over a couple months before I get them back. The repairs as per the customer service rep are only to address the particular issue preventing it from being operational. If there are no issues with any other parts at the time they do not go through them and rebuild so if your Gyro is operational at the time, they do not touch it. It is a flat fee for the repair regardless of the part so if it is a bad switch it is the same as any other part.

15. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    Just to update an old thread, I had mine done a while back by Fraser, They will no longer work on the military M25 mariners though as I had considered a pair of those on Ebay. They were a government only version and unless you have proper federal paperwork on how you obtain them they will not touch them and actually have to report them as they may be stolen. Be careful when buying used on Ebay or elsewhere and call Fraser first before committing to used Gyros if you are not sure.

16. mahi

mahi Member

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Henriques 28 Express
    Last season, right before the Master's Tournament, my Mariners stopped spooling up too. I thought it was dead batteries. I contacted Helen and sent them in for repair. I did not get them back for the tournament, but we saw a lot of eye ball fish. It turns out that the battery cover battery prongs were not making good contact. Fraser replaced under warranty and made a few minor adjustments for no charge.
    Lesson is to check the battery contact points.
    Bob

17. Josh Finkler

Josh Finkler Newbie

Name:
    Josh Finkler
    Boat:
    ancient Grumman canoe
    Noticed some conversation about the Fraser-Volpe Mk. X model, I recently came into a pair of 14x41s that appear to be working just fine but I do not have a manual for these. Wondering if anyone on here would be willing to share a scan of the operation and maintenance manual? It looks like Fraser-Volpe called this manual the:

"Operation and Maintenance Manual #4054"

but it's possible that there were other numerical variants on these units. Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

--Josh Finkler, Buffalo Creek, CO

18. rcssrcmt

rcssrcmt Newbie

Name:
    Richard Steele
    Boat:
    none
    Josh,
    How did you make out with finding the manual ? I need one also. Can you give me some assistance ?
    Thank You
    Richard