Offshore Found the one paddy 9/23

ANGLING ALLEN

• Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat Name
    finatic
    Left out of San Pedro with some good bait from San Pedro Bait this morning with Fred to try our hand at some offshore shenanigans. Dorado, marlin, tuna, whatever. Found beautiful calm conditions with water Temps 72-73 as we headed to the 277, 152, and little more south. Found a few beautiful paddy's, quite a few boats, some nice water, birds around, and a few pods of porpoise cruising through. But no takers as we trolled, fly lined, chunked, threw poppers, and metal jigs. Came back across the slide and headed toward the 14 Mile Bank. About half way between them stopped at a healthy looking paddy. One boater was just leaving. We stopped to check it out, and after a few minutes saw a jumper... then boilers of Dorado. Chunked and chummed like crazy circling the area which seemed to awaken the fish. This was about 2pm. The first two were on chunk pieces, the rest on fly lined sardines. Five landed, three lost at the boat (need gaff training), two birds, and about four baits raked. Busy couple hours with no other boats around, left them biting as we had to get back and fuel. Plenty of swimmers, followers, boilers, and jumpers! That's why we do it!!
    Good luck this weekend. Tight lines!

20220923_134019.jpg

20220923_152318.jpg

20220923_182851.jpg

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Good for you Brother!! Nice when it comes together. As for the gaffing "mistakes'.... let me share a little BD secret.... DORADO are difficult to gaff for even the most seasoned angling veterans. I'm sure MANY of our BD Brothers never mention how many "misses" they had this season... or fish lost do to bad "technique". So don't feel like your the only one....lol. Thanks for the "brutal honesty". Nice post and picts!

Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
    Jul 5, 2008
    Hootervillle
    Name
    JD
    Boat Name
    Obliviousone
    Good for you Brother!! Nice when it comes together. As for the gaffing "mistakes'.... let me share a little BD secret.... DORADO are difficult to gaff for even the most seasoned angling veterans. I'm sure MANY of our BD Brothers never mention how many "misses" they had this season... or fish lost do to bad "technique". So don't feel like your the only one....lol. Thanks for the "brutal honesty". Nice post and picts!

When first hooked there fun and and easy to get close to the boat but once they start getting closer say five feet or so then they go off and get real squirrelly. And then to make matters worse when every body's bendo and you have to gaff it solo with a eight foot stick and a five foot gig it most often takes several attempts, even for the best. Of course you want a good shot right behind the head just like any other fish but rarely can you lay these things out. For me I hate seeing any beautiful fish gaffed in the the center of meat, personally I rather let it earn it's freedom but that's just me, because it's head shots only when I'm of the gig. Regardless most will agree that Dodo's are hardest fish in the seven seas to get a gig into so don't feel too bad when you miss.

Upvote 0