Offshore Found some bluefin

davec1980

May 29, 2007
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
28,liner, getsm
Got a last minute call from a buddy who wanted to fish yesterday. We left Newport around 7:30am after getting gas and planned to go to the backside of Catalina towards Mackerel bank and San Clemente. When we got to the back side of catalina in the morning we didnt have the kite ready and chased a couple small foamers of bluefin casting at them with no luck. Also soaked some baits on paddies with no luck. The fish disappeared for most of the day.

There were a few other private boats in the area and were all gone by early afternoon. We trolled around and ended up with a small 40lb bluefin around 2pm.

Knowing that sometimes the bluefin get active in the late afternoon/evening we were not giving up hope. We continues to drive around and decided to check out a dark spot in the water. As we got closer it was blufin just under the surface. We got the california flyer up and had several blow ups that missed. We ended up hooking up with a nice 100+ around 5:30pm. As we were fighting that fish the action went off around us and we were next the biggest foamer I had ever seen.

After we land the first big one we got right back into the action and dropped the flyer on the foamer. We were hooked up on another big one but our braided line broke and took our flyer with it. I am assuming the with all the tension and the mass of fish it was cut off by hitting another fish. We got out another rig with a flyer as fast as we could and were bit by another big one. We landed that fish as the sun was setting.

Made out back back to Newport in the dark and got to the dock around 10:30pm. Great day on the water. Go and get em!

IMG_6323.jpg

IMG_9833.jpg

IMG_9936.PNG

IMG_9836.jpg

Top or Bottom
Top or Bottom
Awesome! And damn one day I will own a boat like that haha - so freaking nice!
Upvote 0

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
Got a last minute call from a buddy who wanted to fish yesterday. We left Newport around 7:30am after getting gas and planned to go to the backside of Catalina towards Mackerel bank and San Clemente. When we got to the back side of catalina in the morning we didnt have the kite ready and chased a couple small foamers of bluefin casting at them with no luck. Also soaked some baits on paddies with no luck. The fish disappeared for most of the day.

There were a few other private boats in the area and were all gone by early afternoon. We trolled around and ended up with a small 40lb bluefin around 2pm.

Knowing that sometimes the bluefin get active in the late afternoon/evening we were not giving up hope. We continues to drive around and decided to check out a dark spot in the water. As we got closer it was blufin just under the surface. We got the california flyer up and had several blow ups that missed. We ended up hooking up with a nice 100+ around 5:30pm. As we were fighting that fish the action went off around us and we were next the biggest foamer I had ever seen.

After we land the first big one we got right back into the action and dropped the flyer on the foamer. We were hooked up on another big one but our braided line broke and took our flyer with it. I am assuming the with all the tension and the mass of fish it was cut off by hitting another fish. We got out another rig with a flyer as fast as we could and were bit by another big one. We landed that fish as the sun was setting.

Made out back back to Newport in the dark and got to the dock around 10:30pm. Great day on the water. Go and get em!

View attachment 1299315

View attachment 1299379

View attachment 1299385

View attachment 1299386
Coupla big mofos. Nice boat!

Upvote 0